Medical Questions > Relationships > GLBT Relationships Forum

Confused about my sexuality

This is not an easy topic for me to write about, but I'll try my best. I am 23 years old. I spent much of my youth struggling with my sexuality and trying to figure out who I was. I went through many stages of denial and acceptance until I finally came to terms with being gay. I knew that I was attracted to boys much more than I was attracted to girls, so I was able to put that label on myself. Although it took me a while to get there and knew that I still had a lot to overcome with coming out and so on, I was at least satisfied that I knew who I was.

However, I would notice things from time to time that would make me doubt myself. Occasionally I would see a girl that I felt attracted to. I figured this wasn't that unusual and didn't think much of it. I also realized that I was only capable of developing emotional feelings for a girl. Outside of sex, the very thought of having a relationship with a boy was completely revolting to me. Recently I did some research and found the term "heteroromantic homosexual," and I thought this could possibly describe me. Also, I have recently entered into a relationship with a girl. I not only have strong emotional feelings for her, but I've noticed a level of physical attraction as well.

So now I'm confused all over again. Something I thought I'd figured out years ago turns out to be something I'm still not sure of. I feel that if I don't figure myself out soon I'll never be able to lead a full life. I've decided that I can't keep this to myself anymore and that I need to talk to someone about it. My problem is that I don't know who can really help. A psychiatrist? A psychologist? A counselor of some kind? I'm just very clueless when it comes to this stuff, so if you could point in the right direction as to where I can go for help I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 26th, 2012
Experienced User
Well first of all you need not feel pressure to put yourself into a box or label. Most people have sexual feelings and prefrences that they have to sort out. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you. You need to get to know yourself and try new things and find out what it is that you like.... that comes with expereience.... talking with a professional is always helpful. They have psycologist that specialize in sexual conseling as well as general practice psycologist that would probably be just as helpful. Good Luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?