Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

concussion worsening depression

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
I'm very worried about my sister. She had a heavy crock pot drop out of a cabinet quite aways over her head. She got hit very hard! She suffered from a bad headache for a couple days then was better. She's pretty confident she had a concussion. At the same time she has always battled depression, but managed it with meds. Since the incident the depression has gotten so severe there is no med that seems to be doing a thing for her. She has been on several,old and new. I've never seen her tyhis bad.Has anyone else found that after a concussion their depression getting so much worse? The head injury happened about three years ago! Things just keep getting worse.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2012
Experienced User
This is a question for a doctor I'm afraid.
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2012
Yes, depression can get much worse after a brain injury, especially if there was a diagnosis of depression before. There are many reasons why it could be worse and reasons that antidepressants aren't helping. If you would like, you could send me a message that is a little more specific about her symptoms. I'm currently finishing a book about depression after a brain injury and might be able to provide you with some ideas. Best.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.