Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Concussion causing depression ?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
I got a very serious head injury playing soccer. Until then I had never had mental health problems...ever. Now I have most of them. I have been hospitalized, on meds, therapie and nothing helped. I am a perfectionists so I am going to a top university right now...and when my friends go out sat night...I stay back wondering if tonight will be the night I will kill myself. Can a concussion casue this kind of severe change in me? can it case the depression, the mood disorders, the OCD, the ED, the Cutting?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2009
Brain and Head Injuries Answer A6263

No data was given if any damage was done to the brain tissue and where the location of the damaged tissue is. The anterior part of the brain controls the attitude, the mood and the emotions.
You might want to ask your doctors if the anterior part of the brain was irreversibly damaged when you had your head injured.
If there was no irreversible damage, then you might be experiencing bulimia combined with obsessive-compulsive disorder. An observation and adequate medication treatment controlled by psychiatrist is recommended. You might want to visit a psychotherapist, too.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.