Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Conceiving after gallbladder removal (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I am waiting for a date for an endoscopy first and then for gallbladder removal surgery. We were planning to start trying for a baby in the new year but obviously this is out of the question now as I have been quite ill recently. How long after the surgery will we have to wait before trying to conceive? Obviously I understand that everbody reacts differently.

Thank you,

Lisa
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper theclarkes
|

replied July 14th, 2009
How are you getting on with everything Lisa? Did you have your gallbladder removed?

I am having mine removed on the 4th Sept - really worried!

Thanks

Louise
|

replied July 14th, 2009
Conception after gallbladder surgery
I am wondering this same thing. I just got my gallbladder removed Friday and I was planning on trying to conceive in August or September. Now I am wondering if I should wait.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I went doc's on Thursday and he told me no need to wait once the operation is done and you can try as long as you feel well enough...... But I wanted to talk to someone who has been through it already.

How did your surgery go?? I am really scared.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
Hi i had my gallbladder removed last september, i am now 27 weeks pregnant (due this october) the only complication i have had is the usual side affect most people seem to have which after eating certain food it seems to go straight threw me! other than that the pregnancy is going well! i dont regret having the operation at all and do not miss the severe attacks i used to have, i was back on my feet within days thanks to my very demanding children wanting mummy back and only took paracetamol for the pain. I hope this helps x
|

replied July 15th, 2009
Thank you theclarkes for your message!!
x
|

replied July 15th, 2009
no worrys i just hope it helps! i know i was petrified before my removal so know how your feeling! let me know if theres anything else i can help with and hope it all goes well Smile x
|

replied July 28th, 2009
Thanks - I am so so so scared!!!!!

How long was your op? How long until you felt back to normal? xx
|

replied July 28th, 2009
ermm i think i was under for about 2 hours, i cant remember now! it was about a week till i felt comfortable getting up and down as it is quite sore, the worst day was the day after the operation for the pain, which was the day i was discharged, aslong as you dont rush yourself and have plenty of rest you recovery will be alot quicker than they say, i found using paracetamol made it alot easier for me to manage the pain and not mask it into me feeling better before i was. I was petrified to so know how you feel but seriously i dont think you will regret it in the long run!! xx
|

replied July 29th, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for reply and all the advice!
Can you eat and drink anything you like now?

I eat what I like at the moment and only get the pain every few months xxx
|

replied July 29th, 2009
within reason, i find it hard being pregnant at the moment judging between the pregnancy niggles and whats caused after the op but between the op and me concieving i did find i could not eat high fat foods without it literally going straight threw me which made eating out practicly impossible!! but seeing as you only get the pain every so often you might be ok as mine was previously triggered by high fatty foods and i had attacks 3-4 times weekly!! its a good idea to keep a record of foods you eat for the first few weeks then if you do experience any discomfort it makes it alot easier to single out the particular food that causes it, i didnt do the record straight away so it took me a while to pin point the problem. Apparently some people can have it done and never experience problems again and some people get something called "dumping syndrome" after wards which is what i had and it can be caused by anything!! I Know of one person who had it triggered by eating cucumber which is possibly one of the most unlikely thing you would think of!! But aslong as if you do get it you find the source of it quickly you can resume your normal life just minus the item that causes the pain xx
|

replied July 29th, 2009
Thanks for info!!

I tend to get the pain when I have been away and ate bad three days running (not good) and had a drink! Other then that I am fine.

Thanks for all your respones means alot, as worrying about it and I know I need to have it done but it is nice to talk to people who have been through it already!

Smile xxxx
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
hi i have a 7 month old baby girl and wanting an other i want my children close to gether i have just had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago and i aske the nurse who i went to see and asked her i didnt like her responce she made me feel crap basicly she said "you dont want 1 now and u have to w8 3 months" but i dont c the harm as i have read further up that ur doctor said wen u feel ready i think i am going to go see a proper doctor

plz reply someone because i dont know what to do ??

xxx Smile
|

replied October 5th, 2009
Doctor said to me as soon as your home and feel up to it Wink xx
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2011
I had mine removed when my baby was 2 mons. old.My surgery took about 2 hours and I was at home within 2hours after that.I am now pregnant with my 3rd baby and it has been 8 mons.I feel great without my gallbladder no trouble at all it was the best thing I could have done for myself to have it taken out.Hope this helps anyone.
|

replied December 18th, 2011
I've had to have my gall bladder taken out.. 10th sept was my surgery then fell pregnant 16 day( appox) later.. I'm in my second trimester now and feel a little pain on the lower right side of my stomach every now and then.
I jus wanna know if it's ok to Be pregnant or will my baby be healthy?
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
I had my gallbladder removed back in november an found out that I am not pregnant. I have been having alot of pains in my lower stomach an right behing my belly button I was just wondering if this is something that has to do with my gallbladder surgery or if I should go have this checked out if anyone has advice please let me know thanks
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Be careful!
Please exercise caution and do some reading. There are many sites on the net outlining the problems associated with gall bladder removal. Without it your body can't properly digest and utilise the good fats that you consume which are not only essential for proper functioning of your own body but are absolutely essential for proper development of your baby.
"The human body needs to consume fat in all forms, in order to make brain and eye tissue, as well as cell membranes for every living cell in our body. Quality of fat is critical. The type of fat that is ingested by the mother will set the foundation for structural integrity of nerve cells as well as the phospholipid membrane of every other cell in its body."
|

replied April 28th, 2012
Sometimes there is no option in having a gallbaldder out, its not like people are seeking to have the surgery "just for the heck of it" sometimes it is essential that it is done. In my case I fought with unexplained pain in my back for close to year, I was constantly told that it was back spasms, no one ever gave me an ultrasound till the end when I had to go to an emergency room because the pain in my back was so severe I could barely move. After telling the nurses in this hospital the immediately prescribed an ultrasound, and found that my gallbladder was inflamed and jam packed full of stones and was ready to burst, so I was rushed into emergency surgery to have it removed. After it was out there were some tests ran on it and it was at that time they found out I had cancer. If I hadn't gone to the emergency room that day and hadn't had my gallbaldder removed, it would have burst, flooding my body with aggressive cancer cells. So regardless of how beneficial a gall bladder is supposed to be, sometimes it can be a ticking time bomb, and in those cases, removal is the best option.
|

replied January 13th, 2012
I just had my done this past Tuesday on the day you post this due to it being infected, so I had no choice. But I have found a site that proves what you said. I only have one child and the doctors kept asking me if I was pregnant and I knew I was not for I not even in a relationship. Today, I begin to wonder about this and the affect it will have on future pregnancy. Thanks for sharing this point of view.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Right away in my case!
Hey guys -- I just wanted to chime in... I got my gallbladder out last fall (I am 28 and was a healthy weight, just with a stone-clogged GB) and got pregnant two weeks after my surgery. I'd gotten my period the day OF my cholecystectomy (that was not fun, believe me), ovulated on time 14 days later, and got a BFP a couple days before my one-month surgi-versary haha. It CAN be done, and it's fine... I'd recommend eating more carefully for sure though. I avoided all fried and fast foods, took bile salts, probiotics and a multi-B vitamin along with my prenatals and fish oils, and I was careful not to gain too much weight.

So, it CAN be done. Good luck!
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Please help
I got my gal bladder removed on November 3, 2011....went off birth control immediately and have been trying to get pregnant. I have gotten a normal period once being off the bc since December and have not concieved yet. Do I need to take vitamins? Should we try everyday?

Mrs. Henderson
|
12 >>