Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Compulsive Lying and depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I was diagnosed with recurring depression, ADHD, and high anxiety a few years ago. Over those four years, I have systematically destroyed both my life and my meaningful relationships. I am still technically seeing a psychiatrist, though I haven't actually spoken to him in 3 months. I lie to him about everything, just as I do to the rest of the world. Amazingly, it's only now occurred to me that I might be a compulsive liar. I feel like I should tell my therapist, but when I think about, I start having a major anxiety attack. I feel like my ability to rationalize has literally been shut off. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi bluemoonlagoon and welcome to ehealth: The first thing you do is to tell your Therapist that you are a pathological/compulsive liar...This will just be the beginning...What you must do is to find yourself...You live in your own vision of a dream world where stories are made up in your mind and never stop...Tell him/her....And go from there...I wish you well...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied August 7th, 2011
Experienced User
ok, for a start you dont need to tell anyone you are a pathological liar, thats ridiculous advice when you havent asked what the lies are about and why! you need to start by asking yourself what you are lying about and why? is it a case of lying about how you are feeling? maybe your not wanting people to know how you are feeling to put you in the catagory of a person who suffers with depression etc?? in which case you shouldnt be worried, people want to help, especially your psychiatrist, thats what hes there for, i suffered with depression for years on end, and like you would lie to the world about how i felt just to be left alone and not questioned about it, but it doesnt help, i ended up quitting jobs and literally not stepping outside my front door for 4 months!! when i finally talked to someone about what was wrong and why, someone i trusted whole heartedly it felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders n i could finally live my life again, i do find every time it happens, if i surround myself with the people i love, or just have that one person ie bf, that will sit and listen to my problems, doesnt even have to offer advice, just listen!! it really helped me! but just because your not telling people the truth does NOT make you a pathological liar!! x
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2011
Community Volunteer
The terms pathological and compulsive walk hand and hand...I took this term in my post from google...

"Compulsive Liar

A compulsive liar is defined as someone who lies out of habit. Lying is their normal and reflexive way of responding to questions. Compulsive liars bend the truth about everything, large and small. For a compulsive liar, telling the truth is very awkward and uncomfortable while lying feels right. Compulsive lying is usually thought to develop in early childhood, due to being placed in an environment where lying was necessary. For the most part, compulsive liars are not overly manipulative and cunning (unlike sociopaths), rather they simply lie out of habit - an automatic response which is hard to break and one that takes its toll on a relationship....

The terms Pathological Liar, Habitual Liar and Chronic Liar are often used to refer to a Compulsive Liar..."

As for me, I know of this type of person...I've often wondered how and why this problem started...Kind of narrowed it down to possibly to get attention...To make yourself important...Sure depression is in our lifetime, but this can involve all of us...I am not talking about little white lies (which can turn into something bigger)...I am talking about changing the facts of life to make yourself look good and someone else look bad...Let's face it, we all don't let the world know if we are having a bad day, but you must begin with your Therapist...Otherwise it will grow...Be it pathological or compulsive....Your wording...I just used what I read...Truthfully, this is the first time that I have brought this forward in years....Another problem with this type of person is that if your children seeing you do this, they will too...Children learn from a parent...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied August 7th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi,bluemoon; I think what is most telling is what u wrote; "I feel like I should tell my therapist, but when I think about, I start having a major anxiety attack"
so cut and paste what u wrote and email or mail or deliver to your dr.
look, u have tried it your way and failed so unless u believe doing the same thing will get different results then DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT,
hope this motivates u and good luck
|