Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Color of blood during menstrual period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
hello doctor,
im 18 this year,i had my first period when i was 14. now have been 4 years after my first period but i am still having irregular period. what i mean by irregular period is, i always have brown discharged before my period and it lasted for 1 week. And when i had my period it is always longer than 7 days. i had heavy bleeding for 4 days and the other 3 or more days wud just be light red and brown discharged. i am so worried about my health. am i having pcos? am i infertile? i do not have excessive hair growth but i do have a deficiency in iron. which more or less makes me anemia.i am taking iron tablet for about 3 weeks now but the problem is, i have a brown discharged instead of blood while im on the pill. does iron tablet cause my period to stop?doctor, pls give me some answers n what am i really suffering from. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A6611

Menstrual flow can vary across different women and can even vary for the same woman during different menstrual cycles. Menstrual bleeding can vary both in duration and quantity. The color might change from dark red to light red, for example. Brown discharge is not uncommon, too. Dark red menstrual blood is usually caused by the normal inner lining of the uterus detaching. The light red blood during menstruation is usually caused by the final light bleeding that usually marks the end of the menstrual period. The brown discharge might be clots of coagulated blood that have to be expelled from the uterus. So, as you can see nothing you mentioned is considered pathological or cause for concern. However, if you suspect that there is a larger problem occurring during menstruation, you can see you gynecologist who can review your medical history and perform necessary examinations.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.