Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Colonoscopy prep... is it too much?

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
To start things off, I'm 20 years old and I've been having lots of problems over the past two months. I've seen a slew of different doctors, and even been to the ER once. The only persistent problem I've been having through all of this is the inability to use the bathroom like normal. I feel as though there's something blocking the stool from getting out of my rectum. And it seems like the ONLY time I can go is if I take Miralax. Which I've been doing every night since everything started, and it makes me feel like I can go a bit after I wake up and lasts til the early afternoon. I feel like I'm able to get some of the stool out, but...not nearly as much as I need to. And it seems like I'm getting out less and less as time goes on. Plus the stool is all very small and in random shapes, as though whatever is blocking it is cutting the soft stool up like a cheese grater of some sort. I've taken the Miralax more than once a day a few times, since I've just felt like I need to get more out than I was able to. I saw a GI doctor two weeks ago and he said he thought it might be an anal fissure, so he prescribed me some hydrocortozone/lidocaine cream to put on it and he scheduled me for a followup. The followup was a few days ago. I feel like the cream didn't really help anything, so he set me up for a colonoscopy. Though the date of the colonoscopy kept changing. The final date is on tuesday. Though I'm a bit concerned. I have a box of "SuPrep" bowel prep, which seems simple enough. Though I think I also recall the nurse telling me to take an entire 7-dose bottle of dulcolax, put it in something like a liter of water or gatorade, and drink it all during the day BEFORE the bowel prep. I tried calling the office earlier and ask about that since I'm a bit concerned if it's a good idea. Though apparently the office was already closed for the day when I called. And I was wondering if I could get some advice from the people here. Do you think it would be a good idea to go through with that, or not? I've already been taking at least one dose of Miralax every day for the past two or so months. I'm concerned since seven doses of Dulcolax in one day...PLUS starting the SuPrep the next day...sounds a bit dangerous to me. I'm a bit scared since I'm not sure what to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 14th, 2011
Hi, I actually just posted my Colonoscopy experience and prep recommendations for everyone. I will copy and paste my post on here. I had my Colonoscopy on Sept. 29th. I am also constipated, and can only go with either help of supositories or Miralax. We have found out through other testing that my pain and constipation was due to my gallbladder not functioning properly, but that was from a Hida Scan. It is a very good idea to have your colonoscopy. There are so many different problems with the stomach, and they are very hard to diagnose. I would recommend finding out what is going on sooner rather than later. Because I have been dealing with mine for 2 years, and for the past 2 months it has gotten so much worse to where I hurt everyday. Here is the post I had put on here earlier. If you have any questions at all, I am going to message you my email address, and I will be happy to help. I used the SuPrep Bowel Kit too.

I wanted to share with everyone my Colonoscopy experience, and prep recommendations for everyone. I know that before I had mine done, I was very nervous and scared about the prep and the procedure. I read so many posts of people's experiences online, and recommendations, that I thought I would share mine. It was a good one. Sorry if this is going to be a bit long. I was very nervous about the prep as I have an extremely high gag reflex, and have never been able to get even cough medicine down. So the only part I was really nervous about was the prep. The prep day is going to be the day that you are on a liquid diet. You can have any clear broth, jello (no red or purple), water popcicles (no red or purple), water, any juice that doesn't have pulp and is not red or purple. You get the jist. I was given the SuPrep bowel kit. This is a little more expensive $40 for me. As the scheduling nurse explained to me, that the more expensive ones, are the ones that don't taste as bad. There are some preps that consist of a gallon that you drink all day 15 minutes apart until done, some people get to take pills. The SuPrep consists of 2 small bottles of prep and a drinking container. 1 bottle for the night of that you will fill the rest with water until the fill line on the drinking container, and another bottle for the next morning. It is only 16 oz! So the night before your prep you drink one of the 16 oz. and you must drink 32 oz of water within 45 minutes of drinking your prep. The prep will make you feel very bloated and full. So I recommend not drinking or eating anything for about 2-3 hours before. The SuPrep will make you very cold. I had read online that when drinking the prep, try to drink it as quick as you can. The slower you drink it, the harder it is to get down. So I got mine down within 3 gulps. I had apple juice, diet mountain dew, and water as chasers handy. I made sure not to smell the prep as I prepared it or before drinking it. I held my nose, and started gulping. I drank until I ran out of breath. Then chased. Then started drinking again. I did gag, but I just took a deep breath, and did what I had to do, trying to keep my mind on anything other than what I was doing. Once I was done, I washed my mouth out with water to get the taste out of my mouth, then went to brush my teeth and swish with listerine. I highley recommend after doing the prep, sit down on the couch with your water, and put the T.V. on something you can get into to take your mind off of the bloated feeling in your stomach. Just get engrossed in the T.V. and sip on your water. The prep works at different times for different people. Because I had already not been going on my own without help, it took a little over 2 hours to work for me. When you feel the urge to go, DO NOT run to the bathroom, you won't make it. Keep close to the bathroom, it will be your best friend. About 3 and a half hours after beginning my close relationship to the bathroom, I was finally empty and able to go to sleep. The next morning I had to wake up at 5:20 and take my second round of prep. This one was a little more difficult, not the drinking part, just the way I felt afterwards. I felt a little faint after this one, and I think it was because I was a little dehydrated. Again after drinking you must drink 32 oz. of water within 45 minutes of finishing the prep. This time, the prep worked on me instantly. I had just enough time to finish my prep, grab my bottle of water, and walk to my bedroom, and it was ready for me to begin my relationship with the bathroom. I didn't finish going to the bathroom up until it was time for me to leave to have the procedure which was at 9:30 am. It slowed down a lot though. The procedure was absolutely a breeze. You are put to sleep, and you don't remember a thing. You won't hurt afterwards. I was given Propofol to put me to sleep. I had to pay extra for that kind, as I didn't meet the qualifications for insurance to pay for it, but for me it was worth it. You are not as groggy afterwards, and you wake up quicker, and you have a less likely chance of being nauseous afterwards. For me, that was what made me want to pay extra for it. I was ready to get out of there and get something to eat. I had a small nodule on my terminal illeum, and I was a bit red in my colon, so they did a biopsy on the nodule, and of the upper and lower colon. All my biopsies came back negative.

It is definitly worth it to have a colonoscopy done. It is nerve racking if you have never had one done, but in the end it is worth it to know that you are healthy. I am only 27, so I am not of age yet. I had to have one done, because I have chronic pain in my stomach, and they didn't know why. We found out the same day, that the results from another test I had done showed that my gallbladder was only functioning at 18%, so I am having to have it taken out. Glad to know what is finally going on after 2 years of pain.

I hope everyone who is having to have this done for the first time finds this helpful, and I'm sorry it was so long.

Read more: Colon Cancer Forum - My Colonoscopy Experience and Prep Advice and Recommendations http://ehealthforum.com/health/my-colonosc opy-experience-and-prep-advice-and-recomme ndations-t307723.html#ixzz1ap0wt0xA
|

replied October 14th, 2011
I see. It's nice to know how the SuPrep will work. Although at the moment, my main concern is the situation with the Dulcolax. I'm very concerned about doing that AND the SuPrep.
|

replied October 15th, 2011
When I was researching the Colonoscopy before I had it, I read that several people had to do different kinds of laxatives sometimes up to 2 days before the Prep. That is common when the patient has already had problems going to the bathroom. Although I was constipated, I didn't mention it to my doctor at the time, because it had only just began, and I didn't think it was a problem, until I realized how long it had been. It took longer for the prep to work on me because of that. Before you have your colonoscopy, call the doctors office back again just to read off the instructions you were given. Just tell them you wanted to make sure. Did they give you a paper on your instructions? I think the Dulcolax will be just fine. There was one girl who had the same problem you are having, and she actually had to do 2 days of 2 different laxatives and then on the 3rd day she had to start her prep.
|

My main problem with calling them is, the colonoscopy is on tuesday. I'm supposed to start the SuPrep on monday, and I think they mentioned that the Dulcolax would be the day before that, which would be sunday. They aren't open on weekends, as far as I know, so I wouldn't be able to ask about it til it's too late. The Dulcolax wasn't on the instructions I was given, it was just the SuPrep stuff on it. I asked the nurse to write down the stuff about the Dulcolax so I wouldn't forget, but she was very vague in what she wrote.
|

I would say if you feel uncomfortable with it, then don't do the Dulcolax. The prep should be just fine. It might take a little longer to work start working, like it did on me, but it will make you go for sure. On my sheet, it said that if you aren't going clear liquid by the end of both preps, that you must drink a bottle of magnesium citrate. Of course, you won't be going absolutely clear. It will be a yellow color, but what they mean by clear is that you can see through it. So if you feel uncomfortable with doing the Dulcolax, and she didn't write it down, I wouldn't do it. What time is your procedure supposed to be done at? I know the night before my procedure, I had to start my prep at 6 pm, but I started a little earlier at 5:30 pm. Then the next morning my appointment was at 10:20 am, so I had to start drinking the second round of prep 5 hours before, which was at 5:20 am. So, if she didn't write it down, I wouldn't do it. Stick with what you feel, and if you have a bad feeling or are concerned about the Dulcolax, don't do it.
|

I'm supposed to be there at 11am, and I believe they said the colonoscopy will be around noon. And she did write down Dulcolax, but she didn't write down anything specific. Just "7 doses day prior to prep. Mix in Gatorade 1 ltr bottle" ...that seems incredibly vague to me. It doesn't say when to start it that day, how much to drink/how often to drink, or anything really. I generally like to know those sorts of things to make sure I do everything right, but I'm not sure about this.

Also, another question. Will the SuPrep make my bowel movements...soft/liquidy/similar to diarrhea? Since if not, I'm not sure if it'll actually work for me or not. While I was at the ER, they tried giving me an enema since they just thought it was constipation. The enema didn't help at all. I ended up making an emergency visit to a GI doctor the next day because of severe pain, and they thought I was just constipated too. They didn't really examine me or anything. They just said "Here is a strong laxitive. If it doesn't help, let us know and we will give you an even stronger one. And if not that one, a stronger one." and so on...I took the laxitive later that day when I got home...and I don't know if I've ever been so miserable before. It didn't help me at all, it just gave me insane stomach cramps. And I felt like I had to be in the bathroom every five minutes, even though I wasn't able to get anything out...nothing at all helped til I tried Miralax. Will the SuPrep make my stools soft/liquidy/diarrhea-like?
|

I completely understand about you wanting to do everything right. If you do decide to do the Dulcolax the day before prep, I would start it that morning. I watched a video of someone online that had to do Dulcolax mixed with gatorade and pills. So if you do I would say just start that morning before prep, and then you know you will be in the safe zone for SuPrep the next night. The SuPrep does make you soft and liquidy, but it's not quite like diarrhea. I'm gonna get a little gross here, but it is actually like you are peeing out of your butt. I have a feeling it will take a couple of hours to break all yours up, since that is what happened to me since I wasn't able to use the bathroom. SuPrep will definitly work for you if you drink all the prep. Another good piece of advice is to have baby wipes for you to wipe everytime you go, that will reduce the irratation from you having to go to the bathroom so much and having to wipe so much. If I wouldn't have done that I would have been on fire the next day. Also, get preperation H to put on you after you finish using the bathroom. It will also soothe the irritation that you will have from using the bathroom. I read just not to use the Preperation H the morning of the procedure.
|

Actually, I understand what you mean by "peeing out of your butt" ...I've felt similar things before. I also have been using baby wipes since I saw the GI doctor two or three weeks ago, as they suggested it. Should I use Preparation H CREAM, or OINTMENT?
|

I used the Preparation H Ointment. I actually used the generic of the Preparation H Ointment, and it does the exact same as the name brand. Another good tip, is make sure you go ahead and put your SuPrep in the refridgerator. Getting it good and cold will help you get it down. My appointment like I said was at 10:20, but I didn't actually go in for my procedure until almost 2 pm! The Surgery Center I had the procedure done at was just extremely unorganized. Because it has been hard for me to eat anything at night because of my pain, the night before I started the liquid diet I didn't eat dinner, so it ended up being 48 hours before I got to eat anything solid. So I definitly recommend the day before your prep eating something good, so you won't be as bad off with the hunger as I was. I don't know what kind of broth you like, but the beef broth to me wasn't good, the chicken was a little better.
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Just wanted to check with you and see how your prep was going and if you decided to do the Ducolax yesterday. I hope everything is going good! Good luck tomorrow!
|

Update- ended up doing the dulcolax yesterday. It basically kept me from sleeping whatsoever because of needing to constantly run back and forth from the bathroom. I think it was a bit too much. Plus late into that, most of my stool was a powdery-like mushy consistency and I couldn't get much out.
Started the SuPrep at 5. Like nearly 10-15 minutes later, I ended up running to the bathroom and feeling like I was a human waterfall. But it seems like MOST of what I got out was just dirty fluid, or clear fluid. I didn't really see much stool, so I assumed the stool was just broken down into a liquidy form. Or just hidden under all of the dirty liquid. Then a bit ago, I went back in and ended up getting a little bit of solid (but very mushy) stool out. I'm confused as to why I'm getting anything solid out AFTER all of that clearness...
|

Hey there. I sent this to your email too, but just incase you didn't get it, I'm putting it on here. That is great that the SuPrep worked so fast for you. I definitly know the feeling of the human waterfall thing. LOL. Yeah it was a lot of dirty fluid for me at first too, then it went to yellow clear fluid. I think the reason it went back to mushy stool is because it is starting to slow down. Tomorrow morning when you take the SuPrep you will see some of the dirty fluid again at first, and then it will turn clear or yellowish clear. That's what it did for me. You will see a few pieces in the fluid, and that is normal and okay. I actually had to end up calling my after hours doctor yesterday because of extreme nausea due to my gallbladder, I can't eat hardly anything, and when I think about food I just get sick. So, they ended up moving my surgeon appt. up to this Thursday, so hopefully I will have this thing out of me by next week. I didn't catch what kind of symptoms you were having with yours. But, I know that they said the constipation is common for gallbladder. Don't be nervous about the colonoscopy tomorrow. Everything is going to go great and you won't remember a thing, and it won't hurt a bit. The only thing I remember very vagley is asking someone if I pooped on the doctor, because right before they put me to sleep that was what I was scared of. But, I don't remember who I asked, or even what they said. If they give you the option for Propofol as your anestesia (spelling?) then I would highly recommend that. Good luck! Let me know how everything goes.
|

Oh, okay. The main reason I was worried was because I thought that I wasn't going to be able to get everything out since I got out a bit of solid stool a bit ago. I figured it wasn't flushing everything out like it should have been, and that I'd still have stuff stuck in my system during the colonoscopy tomorrow.
|

Yeah, I understand the worry. I was worried because mine was so yellow, but then I read from a doctor that yellow was okay. It's such a light color that they will be able to see through it. Tomorrow morning you will definitly get everything out and it will be yellow all day tomorrow. They say it is normal not to have a bowel movement 1-3 days after the procedure. But, it still didn't help me with my constipation.
|