Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

colonoscopy prep and spastic colon

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have had a colonoscophy in the past and had a great deal of pain from the prep. Actually passed out due to what was diagnosed as a spastic colon. It is way past time for me to have another,and I am tryng to find a way to avoid the pain. Any ideas,and has anyone else experienced this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2009
i had a colonoscopy in 2007 and a sigmoscopy this year and i thought the prep part was the part ever for the colonoscopy. having to drink that big gallon of funky liquid made me want to throw up with every sip. they should have another option to take because i think it is unbearable to drink and if i get another colonoscopy in the future i will request another alternive form of laxative.
|

There are other options. I had to do my prep at home and di d not have much of anything to drink. As I recall, it was several capsules taken at certain intervals. It was the normal cramping and urge to go that caused my problems. When the colon seizes up,even though you have the urge,you can't go. Very painful. I'd rather give birth.
|

User Profile
WOW. I DIDNT EXPERIENCE SOMETHING LIKE THAT, BUT I CAN TRULY UNDERSTAND AND IMAGINE HOW PAINFUL THAT CAN GET HAVING THE URGE SO STRONG TO GO, BUT NOT BEING ABLE TO ELIMINATE. THAT IS HARD. IM HAVING BOWEL ISSUES RIGHT NOW, ITS BEEN ON GOING SINCE THE 24TH OF LAST MONTH TO WHERE IM HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME PASSING GAS TO WHERE IT GETS STUCK AND ITS HAVING EFFECT ON WHEN I NEED TO URINATE AS WELL. I HOPE EVERYTHING IS GOOD WITH U NOW.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Suggest that they give you a sedative to calm you...Then relax...Fear can be worse than the procedure itself...Good luck...

Caroline
|

Not afraid of the procedure. I had the procedure after my colon had calmed down,it's the prep that gives me problems.They didn't give any kind of a sedative last time. My mom said they put her in a twilight sleep,so she doesn't even remember it.Still won't help with the prep since you have to be fully lucid for that part.
to Gemiinii,There is a very good product on the market for the type of problem you describe.
|

User Profile
DURING MY COLONOSCOPY PROCEDURE IN 2007 I CONSISTEDLY STRESSED TO THEM I WANTED TO BE COMPLETELY OUT, BUT THAT WASNT THE CASE I WAS FULLY AWAKE TO THE POINT I WAS ABLE TO SEE AND REMEMBER EVERYTHING AND HOW IT WAS. REALLY,I I WAS WIDE AWAKE DURING THE WHOLE PROCESS. I WAS EVEN WATCHING AND IN DISGUST HOW EVERYTHING LOOKED ON THE TWO SONY TV MONITORS. IT WASNT PAINFUL, BUT IT WAS VERY UNPLEASANTLY UNCOMFORTABLE ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY PUMP/FILL U UP WITH AIR. THAT SUCKED BUT THATS THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN GET IN THERE. WHAT PRODUCT IS THAT U R TALKING ABOUT AND WHAT DOES IT HELP MOST. LATELY I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO JUST COMPLETELY DETOXIFY MY WHOLE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM AND BOWELS, DO U KNOW ANY RELIABLE HERBAL TYPE OF DETOXIFY CLEANSE THAT IS TRUSTED AND USED ONCE IN A WHILE BY PEOPLE. I KNOW THERE ALOT OUT THERE AND SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM, AND R NOT FDA APPROVED, BUT IF U HAVE A EXPERIENCE WITH THEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Colonoscopy preparation
I had a colonoscopy Feb 1,2010 and during the preparation everything was going fine, until I got up at midnight to go to the bathroom and get 1 last drink of water when I became nauseated and light headed.Thats all I remembered for the next half hour or so. The back of my head hurt, and my jaw hurt. Mu husband said I passed out and he thought I had a stroke. He made me go to the hospital and they did a CAT scan because my head must have clunked on the floor. I also think as I was falling, my chin hit the counter top. Because I was preparing for this test, I thought it must have been caused by this. My blood pressure was 90 over 55 and I must have been dehydrated. What an experience that was. By the way, everything was ok after the procedure.
|

replied June 6th, 2010
try pico salax, its not too bad tasting
and only half a mug full
|

replied June 11th, 2010
have the same problems with drinking the salt water. I have had 2 since then and use a combination of magnesium citrate and enemas. The doctors don't like patients to use enemas because their experience is that patients don't use enough of an enema to reach the end of the colon. It takes about 2 quarts or more to do so and if you go slow, it really works. In order to avoid electrolyte loss, use 2 tsp of salt per quart of warm water. I take the laxative mid afternoon on the day before and then do the enemas (until clear) the night before and early on the morning of the exam. Be sure to drink plenty of water so that you don't get dehydrated.
|

replied June 28th, 2010
Help
I have a colonoscopy tomorrow , I took the pico salax at 8 this morning and the 4 tablets at 11. I take another pico salax at 4 pm... My bowels havent moved at all.. I have lots of painfull gas but don't know why I am not going to the bathroom. Called my surgeon and he said to call back by 4 if I haven't gone.....Has anyone had this problem? Its freaking me out that I can't go
|
Quick Reply