Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

colon spasms after bowel movement

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Infrequently, sometimes after I have a bowel movement (lose or solid - doesn't matter) or I have an orgasm I will get this very, very sharp pain that stems from my colon and lower back. Typically I will get a very hot bath and/or lay on a heating pad after taking 400mg of motrin. The pain is very intense (as in please God kill me now intense) and typically lasts anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes. I've had this problem for about 14 years now but have been too embarassed to see a doctor about it. Any idea what is causing this? As I mentioned earlier, I could go anywhere from 3 weeks to 5 months between episodes, so I am completely baffled.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2008
Doctor
Have you ever ask for medical attention during these 14 years?
Do you have any other health problems beside this sharp pain?
|

replied April 16th, 2008
No, I haven't asked a doctor about this ever.

As far as any other health problems, the answer is no. I get a physical every year and I am always in very good health.
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2008
Doctor
If your pain is bigger than the shame you will visit your GP. Several diagnostic procedures are requested to find out the reason for this abdominal pain: physical examination, standard blood analyzes and abdominal ultrasound.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
I have had these exact symptoms now for over 25 years. I am male and my pain did get greater than my shame about 15 years ago. Went through many tests and found no reason. Doctor finally just said "be glad it is your colon and not your heart" and work on stress reduction.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2009
Severe pain after bowel movement/orgasm
I have this same exact pain! My episodes last for about 15 minutes. We haven't been able to decide whether it is gynological or digestive. My gyno and gastro doctors keep arguing. I have had an endoscopy, a small bowel x-ray, and a pelvic ultrasound. The next step for me is a colonoscopy. I'll post back if I get it figured out, you please do the same.
|

replied December 17th, 2009
Same pain
I have the same thing, the pain is so intense, its like I'm giving birth. It last about 15 mins - 30 mins. There is nothing that helps me, but to get through it. It makes you not want to have sex or poop. I've had all the tests above to, and nothing has shown up, including colonoscopy. But, it has to be something?? Pls let me know if anyone has an answer for this
|

replied January 4th, 2010
colon spasms lower back pain after bowel movement or orgasms
Ditto to all of the above, except the "lightningme", since I'm a male too. As far as I can remember, these started over 15 years ago for me. I had another episode last night that woke me up at 4:45AM and lasted about 15 minutes. The pain is excruciating and random, but makes me also not want to have sex or bowel movements. When it comes up, I try back stretches, twisting, and massaging where it hurts the most--the tip of my spine between my buttocks and the top of my glutes. It's embarassing, but I tried having it diagnosed 3 times with no results. I've had testicular and abdominal ultrasounds, as well as having stool samples taken and tested. No doctor has been able to diagnose me with anything other than common degenartaive disc disease in my lower back which isn't known to cause this type of pain in this area. Of all the medical diagnoses done, why is this still unknown or unnamed? If anyone can help, please say something?
|

replied February 21st, 2010
Digestive mystery
5 years ago I had to undergo an an emergency exploratory surgery. I'd been in and out of ER's for 6 months, but all blood work, MRI and CT scans came back "normal". Finally after 2 days of nonstop screaming they opened me up to find that my bowel had twisted. It had been twisted for a long long time and should have been caught, but it was now dead tissue and had been cut off from all blood supply and was deteriorating. My doctor said I had the inside s of a 90 year old and I was only 33 at the time. Once he took out the 3 feet of intestines that was dead, things started pinking up again.

However, now I suffer from chronic diarrhea. If I eat soup, it come out in the liquid form within 45 minutes. I can't eat apples or nuts or raisins, as they come out whole. I had a medication that was the type to dissolve over a 24 hour period and one half of it would come out whole.

I had to have another surgery when my bowel twisted on itself again, but they didn't have to remove any of it this time. My doctor and I both knew what it was and pushed forward. Today my life is dictated by my bowel movements. I have days when I can sit on my throne for hours at a time. I've got a nice supply of things to do in there. My 2 biggest concerns are that I have these bowel movements that come with waves of child-birth-like contractions, but nothing comes out. I have had two children, so I do know what it feels like and it is exactly the same. My other large concern is when I have those, there is part of me that gets expelled from my body also. I don't know if it is an internal hemorrhoid or what, but it's quite sensitive and at times I must push it back in, in order to stand. So, any help out there would be awesome. I'm about at my wits end and have declared that I should go down in the Annuls of Medicine as the woman who's tests were always normal, but something was wrong with her and we just didn't know what or want to take the time to care.
|

replied May 17th, 2010
Sounds like Proctalgia Fugax.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
I just googled and found this forum. I'm a 28 year old man. I had my first episode of this twice today. I'm a little concerned as I can tell many of you are. I haven't decided to go to the dr or not, just waiting to see how it goes. The only pain was right before and during the bm. Once the bm occured and was out of me the pain instantly ceased. I don't know if that's exactly how it was for many of you, but the pain brought tears to my eyes and took my breath away. Sharp streaky pain right at the top of my butt at the tip of my tail bone. I would love to know if anyone ever found out what it was, and if you have it every time you you have a bm or just at times? Trying to figure if it was related to something I had eaten. Thanks for anything you can share. God bless.
|

replied March 13th, 2012
I, too, have Goodled this mystery and have come up with nothing that seems relevant. I am 52, male, and first experienced this pain as a teenager. It is an intense, dull pain around the base of the spine. It used to come on about 4:30 am and would last for an exact 28 minutes. I had about a dozen episodes from 15-18. It has nothing to do with orgasms.

Then pain disappeared until about 5 years ago. It still occurs at about 4:30 am, in the same physical location, but only lasts about 15 minutes with the same intensity. Occurrences are about twice a year.

This year, the pain is in the same location but, for the first time, occurs immediately after a bowel movement. It is now even more intense. I imagine it to be like a strong uterine contraction that lasts for 10 minutes. I usually feel a bit sedated for an hour afterward, I assume from endorphins. Ironically, 'normal' bowel movements seem to trigger it, ie not too hard nor too soft.

An answer would be nice, but I am not inclined to undergo dozens of expensive tests for someone grasping at straws.
|

replied December 21st, 2012
Colon spasm
I've experienced the same symptoms as the original poster and it's been on and off for about 20 years. After orgasm or stool, a slight feeling in my bowels conected to my rectum to start, then a gradual increase in discomfort, and depending on the episode gets so painful I break out in sweat and think I may puke from the pain(havent yet!),cycle is about 30 minutes give or take, like the one I just had Sad..(awkward when it happens at work), then it gradually decreases. The only thing I found that alleviates any of it is sitting on the toilet, but even that sometimes isnt enough, I try and pop some ibuprofen as early as possible and drink lots of water.

I had a lower GI about 6 yrs. back, and it so happened I had an episode before I went in, (I had wanted to go one last time before the test), what they saw was an irritated colon(as you'd expect!) that led me to a colonoscopy which found nothing. I've tried to nail down what causes it, it can be months, and even longer than that in between bouts. I used to think it was MSG in Chinese food, which a few times I have eaten the stuff and within a day had the pain. I've also thought it could be related to a bad combination of being a bit dehydrated and sometimes that triggering it,(which Chinese food is so high in sodium it could all be somewhat related). In general I try to stay hydrated as much as possible, right now I'm trying to think back about what I ate and did not drink to cause such a painful one today, some Boston Market(salty stuff) and not much water last night.

I'm hoping it's that I have a sensitive colon that can be triggered if I'm not careful and nothing else and it continues to be manageable in that way, sure sucks to get a painful one though. Sounds like this is one of things that should be checked out and if all the tests hit a dead end, raised again if the symptoms and regularity changes, I was hoping to find some concrete information, but I suppose it helps just as much to know that many others have had the exact same issues with no concrete issue as a cause.
|