Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Colon prognosis

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
My mother n law was DX with colon cancer during Memorial day this year 2009. She had the surgery to remove it and they found it had spread to female parts so they did a complete hysterectomy. After the surgery they found cancer cells in her blood. They prescribed chemo treatment&radiation she tryed both but has refused to do them now because of the side effects. She is 76 years old and very frail and only ways 80lbs. While she has always been a size 2/3 my wife is taking this very hard because she has lost her will to live. How long would she have under this scenario and is their anything we can do?? Thank you for your reply.

Also she insists on still smoking even after all our pleading. we have asked her to come stay with us so we can care for her but she does not want to be a burden. My wife and I have both told her she was welcome and we would take care of her. Rest of family just ignores her and no help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2009
I am sorry to hear of this tragedy in your family.

Unfortunately, no physician can accurately predict how long any patient with a terminal illness will live. Other than to try and keep her comfortable, and to encourage her to eat and drink, there is not much that you can do beyond what you are already doing.

You might want to look into hiring a home hospice service to help you to care for your mother-in-law. As you already know, caring for a terminally ill family member by yourself is an enormous responsibility.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I know Doctor my wife and I actually cared for her mothers mother back in 94 and she was just 67lbs when I carried her downstairs to go to Hospice. They were great and my wife I found a relieve that she was now not in pain any longer.

My wife's mother is so different while grandmother did every to try and stay a live. Her mothers seems to just want to go.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.