Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Colon Cancer 21 year old female

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
I have a question. Is it common for a 21 year old to have colon cancer? I have always suffered from stomach pain but about 3 months ago it got really bad and well i went to the health clinic at my school and they told me it could be gastritis and they gave me some medication to take. After taking it for about a month i went back to tell them that I still wasnt feeling well. I got some blood work done and it came back that i was iron deficient anemic. I have always struggled with keeping my iron levels in a good place and well the dr asked if i got very strong periods. But truth is that i dont get my period every month and when i do it only lasts like 3 days max. The dr sent me to a gastroenterologist who seemed very worried about my anemia and now im getting a colonoscopy done and well I was wondering if i should be worried. My bowel movements have changed in the last couple of months and my stomach is always bloated and hurts. I dont see any blood in my stool though. I dont know if i am over reacting but well i am very worried.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2011
In the absence of a family history of early-onset colorectal cancer, these types of cancer are EXTREMELY rare in people your age. However, although the odds are very much against your having colorectal cancer, it is still a good idea to have the colonoscopy performed, just to be on the safe side.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 5th, 2011
Well you should definitely get a colonoscopy done. I am 28 and just had my second one done and had precancerous polyps removed. My first colonoscopy I had when I was 22 and had over 20 precancerous polyps removed as well. Young colon cancer runs in my family though.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.