Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Cold feeling in mouth when breathing (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
When ever i breathe in (i breathe in with my mouth not nose) i get a weird feeling in my mouth. its a kind of cold/annoying feeling. its kind of like when you have chewed some chewing gum and its that cold feeling, but its more annoying. its a bit hard to understand. i dont know if this is anything or if im imagining this feeling. has anyone else had this feeling?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper juell
|

replied October 15th, 2009
Hi,
Found your post as I am experiencing the exact same thing. It's a strange cold, almost 'minty' kinda sensation (without having been anywhere near mints of course)
I've never felt anything like this before- glad to know I'm not the only one, but sadly have no answers for you yet Sad
|

replied November 12th, 2009
Cold Mouth Feeling
Hi,
i have the same feeling today after my lunch, cold/chill feeling at the back of my mouth, before it for last 3-4 days i have been experincing a bit of tightness in my throat which is moving from right side to left , and from the middle of my neck to its bottom. do you found any answer
|

replied November 16th, 2009
cold minty mouth
I have had his same feeling for nearly a week now. At first I thought it was a result of something I have been eating or drinking, so I changed my habits for a few days. Yet, it persists. I've been looking for anything to give me an idea of how to make it stop, but nothing yet. I've found that it is worse at night and when I'm in cold or airy situations. (i.e. near a fan) This seems like such a strange thing to make a doctor's appointment for. "Excuse me doctor, my tongue and throat feel cold." I can never pinpoint it. Sometimes the sensation is near the back of my throat, sometimes i feel like its the center of my tongue, or the tip, of the sides. It's just so strange.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
Me too!
I have had the same thing for a few days!!! What is it? It's almost like I have VapoRub on my upper lip that I'm inhaling.
|

replied January 14th, 2010
cold air sensation in throat
I've had this same cold air sensation in the back of my throat for 2 years now and it has progressively gotten worse. I set up an appt. 2 mths after I first had symptoms, they scoped me and nothing. Now, 2 years later, its just plain annoying. I'm going to the doc in 2wks. Anyone come up with anything?
|

replied January 31st, 2010
Cool and/or cold throat sensation when breathing?
I am feeling a cool sensation when I breath in my throat just beyond the swallow area. This has been going on for at least 6 weeks now. A strange click sound when I breath sometimes too. Is this an infection? Is it from using to much peroxide toothpaste? Is anyone else here using peroxide, or whitening toothpaste?
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
I am also feeling the same cold sensation when breathing. Mine started about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was because I had breathed in some synthetic air freshener. I recently changed all from standard cleaning products to non-toxic cleaning products. One day I was washing out an old bottle of air freshener and let it air out for a while. I assumed it was all clear and smelled it to make sure and it still had a strong lingering smell that I breathed in. That's when I first started noticing this cold sensation in my throat/nose/chest area when I breathe.

I went to my GP and he listened to my lungs and he also tested my breathing and found nothing wrong with my lungs or breathing. He said to give it a few weeks without strong fragrances to ease my nose and throat, but honestly the sensation hasn't dissipated at all. In fact, it seems to have intensified lately.

I've tried switching toothpastes (I used an all-natural no SLS toothpaste and then went back to my Colgate), but that didn't help either. I have no clue what this is.

I've read that some people say it's associated with heartburn or GERD, but I don't see how that would be the case for me because I have no symptoms to match those ailments.

I'm just trying to find a common link between something I've done and something other have done who are experiencing this problem as well.
|

replied May 26th, 2011
Cold sensation in the mouth
Hi I have the same symptoms ,and have looked it up , by any chance have you had any dental work or had a broken tooth witch had a amalgum type filling or had treatment for gum disease , I found a symbol called GORD .
|

replied May 26th, 2011
Hi I have the same symptoms ,and have looked it up , by any chance have you had any dental work or had a broken tooth witch had a amalgum type filling or had treatment for gum disease , I found a symbol called GORD .
|

replied March 31st, 2010
Cool feeling in throat and lungs
I've had this same sensation come and go throughout my life. It's like I have a mint coating from my throat down into my lungs. I am healthy and have always assumed it's somehow within the range of normal. I can pretty well count on it happening at least every third year and it can last for weeks/months. Currently it started about a month ago and is constantly there. I have no other symptoms of any kind. It would be great if someone figured out what causes this. But for me I've had it off and on for decades and it eventually goes away and does not seem to be associated with anything bad.
|

replied April 9th, 2010
Cool feeling at back of throat.
I''ve had the same feeling but it''s only after I eat spicy or hot foods, i think it is a sign of heart burn or acid reflux because when i took a tums for it i felt alot better.
|

replied April 15th, 2010
acid reflux
it is acid reflux, go to your local pharmacy and ask for some anta-acids, or gaviscon, i have had this before, and took gaviscon for 3 days and it went. now i have it again, my feeling is just an extremly annoying cold sensation every time i breath in, & a little when i breath out, i have had all my llife. You are getting it because the valve just at the bottem of you breathing tube could be weak, and that valve stops any acid ( from your stomach ) coming up. It feels like a cold sensation but it is a small burning pain from the bottem end of the throat, gaviscon should help the acid reflux stay IN your stomach. simple version,
|

replied April 27th, 2010
Yes - there''s a type of GERD called "LPR", which is what I have. Here the stomach acid comes all the way up past a second valve and into your throat. Often you don''t get heartburn or feel anything right away because the stomach acid comes up and goes right back down, and the tissue in your esophagus is pretty tough. The tissue in your throat, however, is MUCH more sensitive, so you''ll experience hoarseness, soreness, pain, and that "cool" sensation in your throat (a sign the throat is irritated). Sometimes it can be controlled by medication like Prilosec, sometimes not (I''m getting surgery for mine). Check out the forum heartburn-help.com and do a search for LPR for more info.
|

replied May 13th, 2010
Re: Cold feeling in mouth when breathing
I have the exact same thing...did you ever find out what was causing this...I'm an RN and I am totally mystified!!
|

replied May 26th, 2010
i have also this cold minty feeling in my throat and i don't like and annoying to my part because it irritated everything including my work. I always drink water everytime it happens. Please can anyone answer... they say its acid from stomach....i have a recent gall bladder stone surgery maybe its related..i dont know. please help.
|

replied June 5th, 2010
same!
i have this feeling too. it started last night after smoking a blunt, maybe that was it haha...
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
same
I have the same feeling. I have been experiencing this cold sensation in my throat and chest for a week now. I thought it was something related to the really bad cough that I had a couple of weeks ago, but now I don't know. It is the strangest thing to understand. I wish I could figure out some way to stop the sensation because it is so annoying.
|

replied January 14th, 2011
I've had this same thing going on now for months. It feels like I just brushed and gargled with something menthol - and it's always there. I just feel better knowing I'm not alone. I was beginning to think I had some brain or nerve malfunction.
|

replied February 11th, 2011
Hi,
I use to get the cold sensation at the bottom of my throat when i was pregnant. I asked the Prenatal Doctor, why i was having these sensations. She couldn't give me an answer. After i had my child, the sensation's stopped. My daughter is 10 months now, and the sensations have started back. I have the IUD and its suppose to be 99% affective. Just to be on the safe side, i took two pregnancy test and they both came out negative. I dont know why im having these sensations again, but i would like to know why. I'm glad im not the only one who's experiencing this.
|

replied March 17th, 2011
Cold sensation in my throat
This week I saw my general dr., an ENT and an allergist about this cold sensation in the back of my throat and upper chest. ENT said that it could be an allergy or acid reflux. He said to take Gaviscon and if it's acid reflux, it will go away. If it doesn't, it's an allergy that has irritated my throat. For that, he said to drink warm tea to soothe it or use a warm air breathing machine.
|

replied March 25th, 2011
cold mouth and throat
I have been having this sensation for just over a week now and I thought it may be related to teeth problems that I have been having for over three months. I didn't consider acid reflux or an allergy. It's so annoying that I have started rinsing and drinking hot water all day long. It feels as if I have just had mint or menthol. Do doctors ever comment here? I plan to ask my dentist the next time I see him. I should have done it the other day but like others here, I felt embarrassed because it seemed so strange and silly.
|
Quick Reply