Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Cold causing lung pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am 57 year old male. About 4 years ago I began having reoccurring bronchitis issues. The first year it was twice and increased each year until I have it reoccurring continually. It is precipitated by either swimming or simply walking. I have made a sure correlation with the cold water and sweating/the cool wind hitting my chest while walking. Simply walking in my neighborhood will within days set things off. I have used a treadmill indoors and this does not happen I live in So Calif. where the mornings and nights are cool and that is enough to set it off if I am sweating and esp. during the summer one sweats! When a bout begins I suddenly notice my lungs begin to ache—I mean really hurt not sharp but ache bad (a 7-10). If I don’t recognize what is happening and stop swimming and walking outside with a day or two from the onset of the lung pain (doesn’t radiate to my back) I get sweats and feel very weak.

When this first began I didn’t get it so that would turn into a bronchitis and I had to be treated with 5 days of prednisone and antibiotics and it took several months to go away. I catch it now but at the cost of my pain relief and I feel desperate. I have taken tests for asthma and I don’t have it (coline challenge?) though I did when I was a child and allergy tests and have a few the highest to dust mites but not many allergies. I am seeing an allergist and my primary is a pulmonologist has tried me on symbicort, advair, singulair and albuterol without much success. lately though I have used symbicort with a chamber and it does help some but if I swim as freely as I used to and walk it still returns. Does anyone know what this can be or what I can do? Thanks for hearing me out. Neil
Did you find this post helpful?
|