Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Cocaine and 11 weeks pregnant

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I took 2 and half gramms in one night when I was 11 weeks pregnant, I am not an addict and have not had cocaine for at least 10 weeks. I will never have it again. I do not judge myself, I am in a very loving marraige, 29 years old and am very happy. I am just very worried I may have hindered by babies development, for this I will never forgive myself and all for 1 night of a stupid drug that doesn't really do anything that great anyway (nothing compared to the feeling of being pregnant)

Can you please advise what I could have done to my baby, and the percentages of deformaties and or normalities!

Looking forward to hearing from you, it is 4am and still not asleep with regret.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 16th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
We're not talking children of thalidomide or anything but drugs are pretty brutal in pregnancy. Really what you've done is throw your metabolism out of whack and toxified your body, doing exactly the same to your baby. You'd freak out if someone cut a line for your infant but that's exactly what you're doing when you snort coke, especially in late pregnancy. You've sucker punched the fetus's development and some believe you're upped it's chances of developing an addictive personality. Start living your life as a parent, start doing it 3 months ago. Keep an eye on your kid and watch out for signs of addiction when they hit their teens.
|

replied October 16th, 2009
Thank you for your not very nice or even helpful advice. I am guessing you are a man, and pretend to yourself at least that you are perfect. I am a respectful person with a good job, hisband and home.
|

replied October 18th, 2009
Experienced User
Actually that advice was valid, to the point and pretty accurate. You asked. You got results. Sorry that it wasn't sugar coated, but facts can hurt sometimes.
|

replied October 19th, 2009
i believe u have been told some not very nice things there sweetheart ye its true u shud not take drugs at any time an especially not when your pregnant i believe ur wrong doing what u did but wats dun is dun and im sure u wont do it agen ...now ur baby was 11 weeks old at that pint babys are practically fully formed all theyve really got to do is grow and according to wat uve sed it was a 1 time thing ur highly unlikely to have dun any damage wat so ever to ur unborn child frm 1 nite ov sillyness and i study addiction an wolf dus not know wat he is talking about there is no research wat so ever that indicates that 1 nite ov drug use can shape a childs addictive personality yeah it is true taking drugs can bt it has to be sustained use i.e use at least once a week an then also thats wen you wud worry about damaging ur baby hope i have helped you some wat good luck with the pregnancy x
|

replied October 30th, 2009
happyfaye2010: I read this at first thinking that you weren't aware you were pregnant when you did the coke...but you actually didn't say that, and on third reading it sounds like you knew you were pregnant and did it anyway. Like, sounds like you did it before getting pregnant, and "slipped."

Regardless of whether you judge youself or not, or think you're not addicted or not, is irrelivant. Ignore everything saz19 said, even though that's the only comment that's going to give you what you want. Too bad it's not true.

If you're really worried about your baby, you'll go to your doctor so he can run some tests, especially on the heart and lungs and the major blood vessels around those organs. As for any cognative, memory, and speech problems you may have caused, that's more of a wait-and-see.

If going to the doctor isn't worth the embarassment and risk that people might find out, keep on cruising forums for pats on the head and reassurrances that you're terrific and everything will be fine. Because that's why you're here. We're not doctors and we can't run tests, but if enough semi-informed internet users say, "Meh, prolly no harm done," you don't have to tell your doctor. And if it turns out something is wrong, you can blame those liars from the internet.

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR!

There's also this:
Sep 8, 2009: Warning: Cocaine cut with levamisole (a veterinary and human dewormer) has been increasingly reported and has resulted in numerous hospitalizations and a few deaths across the United States. The DEA reports that as much as 1/3 of all cocaine in the U.S. is tainted.
|

replied November 21st, 2009
If you are female and are in her child-bearing years, you should not be taking any sort of drug, legal or otherwise, unless it is necessary. The reason for this is if you become pregnant, those drugs can greatly interfere with you child's development.

The most critical time period of fetus development is during the first trimester (the first 12 weeks) because that's the time when your baby's organs (heart, brain, lungs, etc.) are being formed. Almost every drug you take as a mother will be transfered to your child and they have the possibility to impair the structure or function of different organs in your baby.

My advice to you would be to make sure you are staying healthy and taking your prenatal vitamins. There is a chance that your cocaine use could have interfered with your child's growth so you should visit your OB-Gyn and tell them all the details of your past drug use so they can perform the appropriate tests to determine whether or not your baby has been affected. Do not be afraid to tell your physician; they are not there to judge you, they are there to take care of you and your unborn child, and the only way they can do that is if you are honest. Also, you seem like you have a pretty good grasp on this, but it is important to reiterate: refrain from any further drug use for you and your baby's sake.

Good luck and God bless.
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2009
Supporter
Cocaine during pregnancy

Women who use cocaine during pregnancy are: A. twice as likely to have a premature baby; B. More likely to have a low birth-weight baby; C. More likely to have babies born with smaller heads and smaller brains proportionate to body size.miscarry, premature labor, brain damage.

Effects of the new born

Some studies suggest that cocaine-exposed babies are at increased risk of birth defects. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that mothers who used cocaine early in pregnancy were five times as likely to have a baby with a malformation of the urinary tract as mothers who do not use the drug.
Babies exposed to cocaine before birth sometimes have feeding difficulties and sleep disturbances. Beginning at birth, some exposed babies go through something similar to "withdrawal" from the drug. Many are very jittery and irritable, and startle and cry at the gentlest touch or sound. Consequently, these babies are very difficult to comfort and often are described as withdrawn or unresponsive. Other cocaine-exposed babies "turn off" surrounding stimuli by going into a deep sleep for most of the day.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
We all make mistakes. Your baby should be fine, but keep in mind that you need to be more dilligent to make the best decisions possible. Cocaine is a serious drug that pregnant women should not dapple with. Good luck!
|

replied February 10th, 2010
i agree wit mrstheresap nobodys perfect. i think maybe u should have thought bout it a lil bit more but hey stuff happens. just keep in mind not to do it anymore cause it can and will ruin u and ur babys life... trust me. u say u have a good job and husband... dnt throw it all away its just not worth it.. good luck may ur baby b beautiful and healthy Smile
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.