Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Clotted blood and a white discharge during menstruation

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
Hey, um I'm kind of concerned because when I go to the bathroom to change (I'm on my period), I see a white sticky discharge hanging down when I pee. Um and I also have little clots (not a lot of them.. about 6 - 8 of them). Oh by the way I'm 20, and a virgin. And my periods are regular every month.

I wanted to know of all that is normal; the clots and the sticky discharge during my period. I'll appreciate it if I can get immediate answers to this. Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A7546
The clots you reported during your period are quite normal. It is the blood that should be expelled during the menstrual period that has already gone under the process of clotting.

On the other hand, the white discharge might be either harmless or a sign of genital infection. The latter is less probable because you did not mention other symptoms of infection like: itching or burning sensation all the time or when urinating (sign of urinary tract infection often present at same time with bacterial vaginosis).

You might want to wait for your menstrual period to end. If the sticky discharge is still present, then you might want to visit a gynecologist to examine the discharge.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.