Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Clindamycin for infected tooth

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
User Profile
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have an infected tooth. My dentist prescribed me clindamycin 300mg 4 times a day (Which seems like a LOT of medicine). I haven't taken it yet because when i looked it up, I found all kinds of horror stories about c diff and colitis. Is there really a chance that I will probably get this?

It sounds very scary and like this medicine is the WRONG one to take.

I'm allergic to penicillin, so I'm assuming that's why this was given. Can anyone help me with their own experiences or knowledge? I'm terrified to start these pills.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but i'm a 21 year old female in otherwise good health, not overweight and I have no other health problems.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Call your doctor or talk to your pharmacist about this medication if you have any worries...It is better to be safe than sorry....Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied August 20th, 2009
My dentist prescribed the exact same medicine and dosage for my tooth. When I got it, the insert with the bottle had a warning about the intestinal problems. I wasn't sure whether to take it, either, so I called the pharmacist. She said that Clindamycin is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic for dental infections, and she wouldn't worry about the warning due to how very rare it is. I've been taking it for a week now. My only suggestion is to take the label saying drink plenty of water seriously, because I've felt a little dehydrated the past couple days.
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2009
Thanks!

I'm taking some probiotics, and I haven't noticed any weird symptoms.
|

replied September 7th, 2012
How did the rest of the coarse go? Did you ever have any bad symptoms or issues while on it or after you were done?
|

replied October 29th, 2009
I had it for a botched root canal last year with repeats! No problems (allergic to penicillin too.)
|