Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Clear vaginal discharge during menopause

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I had been on regular aerobics exercise, sometimes 5 times/wk for 2 to 3 months and I thought I was going on the right track to healthy life, watching out my diet, etc. I am 55 yrs old and had my last period 3 or 4 yrs ago. I was surprised one day i was having clear discharge like I was ovulating, no smell, no itch. I called a nurse and told her about it, and she told me it could be a fungal infection because it was impossible that I am ovulating. She asked me to try a vaginal suppository, so I did and inserted one for each of 3 nights. It disappeared after almost 10 days to 2 weeks. Then after about a few days I got some pinkish watery fluid (2x2 cm)in my underwear, then became red after 3 days starting like a red spot until like 2x5 cm light red. it went on for about 1 week then it disappeared. Now, after a month Im back to being dry. My questions: What caused the clear discharge? Is the pink or red fluid a sign of a problem in uterus or caused by the suppository? I am anxious. Please explain.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 8th, 2010
I'm 50 years old and experiencing perimenopausal symptoms. For about three months, I have been experiencing a very similar problem -- clear but pink-to-light brown tinged discharge between periods. I would love to hear if this is normal.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
perimenopauseal sticky mucus discharge
I am 49 years old and have been going through perimenopause for the past 3 years. I believe I'm within 3 weeks of not having my period for a year which will take me into the next phase of my life. However; I had a severe lower back ache, like I had gotten when I would get my period, although no blood. Instead, a surge of thick, clear mucus has been trickling out of me, similar to if I had my period, only mucus. I didn't sleep well last night as I was constantly changing and cleaning myself.

I'm reduced to wearing pads, which really aren't much help because this mucus is thick and sticky so the pad doesn't absorb much.

My question, is this normal?
|

replied April 14th, 2013
I'm having the same issue as all of you. I am in my 2nd year of perimenopauseand have been having clear discharge to the point of needing to wear tampons because I am so sensitive. Recently, I have had a pinkish discharge that was kind of spotty. It lasted for about a week and then went back to the clear mucousy discharge. My gynecologist told me some years back that I am producing the discharge because I have high levels of estrogen. My levels are much higher than the average woman. The pads will not work, but tampons do. And if you are producing a moderate to high amount of discharge, you will not have to worry about TSS from wearing the tampons. But I would suggest that you see your gynecologist in case there are any underlying issues outside of perimenopause.
|

replied April 14th, 2013
I'm having the same issue as all of you. I am in my 2nd year of perimenopauseand have been having clear discharge to the point of needing to wear tampons because I am so sensitive. Recently, I have had a pinkish discharge that was kind of spotty. It lasted for about a week and then went back to the clear mucousy discharge. My gynecologist told me some years back that I am producing the discharge because I have high levels of estrogen. My levels are much higher than the average woman. The pads will not work, but tampons do. And if you are producing a moderate to high amount of discharge, you will not have to worry about TSS from wearing the tampons. But I would suggest that you see your gynecologist in case there are any underlying issues outside of perimenopause.
|