Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Clear and frequent urination

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I was significantly dehydrated yesterday. I was urinating frequently and it was pretty clear. Once I drank some Pocari Sweat (energy drink not unlike Gatorade), no more dehydration. But still clear and frequent urination.

Today, I have a pretty consistent dry mouth (though not extremely dry) and still have clear and frequent urination. I have consumed about 24 ounces of water this morning.

I also experienced nausea and diarrhea last night. I am still experiencing the latter. I have also experienced a mild loss of appetite.

Some of these symptoms resemble diabetes, but does diabetes just pop up overnight?

Can I just be very dehydrated and not diabetic? Or have a UTI?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper W0LF
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Diabetes pops up over the course decades but a lot of people ignore it until symptoms are severe. I wouldn't base a theory about it based on a few days of symptoms. You should be thirsty and dehydrated if you're diuretic. That an nausea/loss of appetite are also common illness symptoms. Have you been urinating more often than usual in the last 72 hours?
|

replied November 9th, 2009
Experienced User
these are symptoms of diabetes, yes, so all i can really reccommend is to eat healthy and watch your sugar intake till you can talk to a doctor. if the symptoms persist, or you begin to get confuzed and nauseous, try to eat something sweet then get to a doctor for testing. if you know anyone with a glucometer, you could also test yourself. normal BGL is between 60-120, depending on what source you are looking at... all the best, and take care!
T.B. EMT-B
|

How many times per day should I be urinating? When it comes become defined as frequent urination? I've consumed over a liter of water + energy drink over the course of the day (it's 5 PM) at the moment and have gone 7 times, will make it 8 shortly.

My urine has an very, very light yellow tint, not your normal color. So, it isn't completely clear. Still going pretty frequently too.

Things have improved slightly. Aside from loss of appetite (and the obvious urinary problems), the other symptoms are gone. My dry mouth isn't as dry as it was before either.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Hey superuberbob
You should be peeing as often as you normally pee. If your dehydration is caused by diuretic symptom from a virus or infection you'd likely see a marked increase in trips to the bathroom. Diluted color of urine can also be cause by diuretic dehydration, but not as much a clear sign. Where normally a liter of fluid would just mean spending more time standing at the urinal about the same number of times a day. If you suddenly have a wicked case of hamster-bladder you can probably rule out any serious worry about Diabetes.
|

Hamster bladder?

I've been going much more than usual and the output is not really that high. The other symptoms have disappeared.

The more I look this over, the more I think it could be a UTI.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Have you checked your temperature? Do you get Urinary Tract Infections often?
|

I have not had a fever of any kind. Actually, my temperature was taken today (they're checking for swine flu at my school) and I was 98.6.

I suspect that I had one like 2-3 months ago. Identical urinary situation (low output, frequently going, clear color) and it went away in 1-2 days. I drank a ton of water and Pocari Sweat and it went away. I probably got paranoid like this that time too lol.

So yeah, all symptoms but the urinary issues are gone. Of course, I am continually drinking liquids as that was what fixed this problem for me last time.
|

Experienced User
i would try to get a BGL reading at school just in case. most school nurses offices will have a glucometer on hand.
|

replied November 10th, 2009
All of the symptoms are gone except:

Frequent and sudden urges to urinate
Clear urine
Mild Leakage

Now, it's only a bladder thing. I mean, I have been drinking a lot of fluids (almost finished off a 1.5L bottle of Pocari Sweat), but that can't be the lone reason.

I was also able to urinate with the proper color when I woke up. Just couldn't do it later in the day.

I just can't imagine this being diabetes. I have a pretty good diet, good blood pressure last time I checked. I exercise frequently and am not overweight (6'2", 206 lbs). I have no family history of diabetes.
|

replied November 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Actually before going to the doctor give yourself about 24 hours of not drinking Pocari Sweat, just water or juice.
|