Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

CKD Stage 4 - Iron infusions

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I am 55 years old with a GFR ranging from 20-24. I have recently (2-1/2 weeks ago) had bilateral partial knee replacements done. (Both at same time) Things have gone well, but my blood count is low and appears to not be coming up on it's own. My H & H are 8.1 and 23.6. I have now been ordered to have a series of iron (Venofar) infusions. I know very little about this and I am hoping that someone can share their experience with me. I begin my first infusion tomorow and have one a week for 3 weeks. So if someone has quick commentary I would appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2011
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

From the history it seems that you have iron deficiency anemia and your doctors have suggested Parenteral iron therapy for correction of the iron defecit.

Iron therapy (Venofer - iron sucrose injection) is used intravenously to replenish body iron stores in patients with iron deficiency anemia.

Iron sucrose is a medication superior to oral iron in achieving a rise in Hb ≥1.0 g/dL and achieving significant high iron stores in the body and is much safer than other parental iron preparations currently in use.

I hope this information here is helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.