Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Circumcision recovery ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Hey, I'm 19... and I got circumsized last Friday because well, I wanted to and stuff. This will be a kinda rant, but also I just want to make sure that everything is going OK.
But so far, the recovery has been hell, I just wanna know if this is normal and when I can start to walk like a normal person and possibly even run.

I met my surgeon beforehand at one of the best hospitals in town so I have confidence in the surgeon and that he would do a good job, during the surgery he kept reassuring me everyting was going fine without me asking so that was good (local anastheasia)

Immediately out of the hospital I don't feel any pain (probably because the anasthaesia hasn't weared off yet) but once I'm back home I'm irritated and slightly in pain. I look down at my penis for the first time and there's a load of blood on the bandage... Throughout the day I keep on bleeding (slowly though, not alot) and I take a painkiller which doesn't help very much tbh. Go to bed in discomfort.

Day 2, wake up due to getting a boner and follow the surgeon's advice of taking a shower and taking the bandage off. It scrapes off and I see a horrible sight... it's like a huge fat dick that is amazingly swelled. When i touch it, it is hot because of the swelling, also the stitches look gross too. When I walk around, my dick is still very uncomfortable and sensitive, how long will this last?

Day 3, dick is as sensitive as day 1&2, but at least the bleeding has completely stopped

Day 4, dick is still extremely sensitive and no signs of becoming less sensitive, but still very swollen. and getting a boner in the morning is an easy way to wake up and not be able to go back to sleep...

OK... is this normal?? and how long will the recovery process take? I haven't been taking any creams or anything should I? I got a doctor's appointment on the 31st of july to have a check up on how my penis is recoverring. No sex or masturbation for 4 weeks but I hope I can do exercise in a week or so. Oh yeah, the stithes should go automatically in like 3-4 weeks as well.

Ugh, this is just a rant, hopefully when I'm recoverred I'll look back at this and laugh, but for now I'm just !**@! sensitive and find it hard to walk from my room to the living room. Is everything said here normal though?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ARK22
|

replied July 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, circumcision is serious business. You're going to bleed through the stitches there will be swelling. What you're seeing/feeling is normal. Your doctor should have explained this was coming, bad on his part. Keep taking any medication they put you on, especially the antibiotics you really don't want that surgery to get an infection. If you feel pain or severe discomfort call your doctor immediately, be paranoid about it. It's your junk man. No lower body exercise until your doctor clears you for it, probably best to keep your blood pressure down even if your hips are remaining still.
|

replied July 21st, 2009
OK update, I'll keep updatung regularly until I'm fully recoverred because honestly I've got nothing better to do since I can't go out and enjoy myself lol...

Day 5: Today I wake up with yet another boner but am really tired and it's only 7 in the morning, so I force myself to think about soccer and american football and then doze off to sleep before waking up with another boner at 10ish. I get out of bed and check my penis to see that it is still quite swollen (not as much as before but still swollen) and it still hurts the same ammount as before. I was wearing boxers before, but today I'm just wearing regular basketball shorts and that actually helps quite a lot.

I've got no issues with my doctor since he did tell me this would happen, I just hate this process and can't wait for it to get better. I'm not taking any medicine or anything... Just hoping it heals as fast as possible.

I better be able to at least walk properlly by August 5th because that's when I'm on a holiday to New York to see friends.

bleeding has stopped completely now even when in the shower I don't bleed anymore which is good i guess... I wish I could like, skip the next 2 or 3 weeks of life and just be free.

The reasons why I decided to get circumsized are:
1. Growing up guys made fun of me being uncircumsized so I was always somewhat selfconscious about it, even though in general I am confident and outgoing.
2. 2 of my ex's told me that it was weird and told me to get it circumsized.
3. I was denied a one night stand becuz when she saw my dick she left saying that I need to get circumsized...
4. I am now moving to the states for college where most guys will be circumsized (unlike in Europe) and there'll be lots of stupid girls who believe anything said in those stupid comedy shows (american pie etc).
5. I guess it looks nicer, but honestly I hardly give a damn about this...

Yeah, basically I hope it's worth it in the end. As long as I'll be able to have sex and play sports again I'll be happy. I really don't care that much about how much better/worse sex feels, if it feels better then it fels better, if it feels worse then I last longer so this doesn't matter to me...

OK... So when can I quit walking like a cripple again?
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 21st, 2009
may I ask how much did the surgery cost?
|

replied July 21st, 2009
So did u do it yet after getting circumsized can u please tell me if it feels better sexually or worse as my boyfriend wants to get this done and im against it! What would u suggest? Do u regret it?
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
Day 5: It was day 5 yesterday but now that I think of it, I got circumsized on Friday last week so today is in fact the true day 5.

Anyways, got up with a rock hard erection which hurt more than ever before, probably because, before my erections have always been smaller but today it was nearly 100%. I could feel the stitches pulling, but anyways, apart from that I went back to sleep about 20 min after that incident and woke up from a bad dream I had where my dick got cut off (like completely) and a cop was making fun of my dick being cut off and he was bashing it on the floor... It was a horrible nightmare and I was happy to be awake with my dick still attached to my body lol.

Alright, so anyways, It's still quite swollen tbh... And I've started to notice that scabs are forming, also I've got a little bit of puss but nothing to great. Anyways, I took a salt bath in order to make sure I don't get infected (I really hope this doesn't happen).

Also, I'm doing something kind of weird which helps my dick not be sensitive at all, basically I take my basketball shorts and tuck my balls over so that my penis can kinda rest between my two balls and is exposed to the air so it can be dry quickly and stuff. This allows me to sit down in total comfort. It is a bit awkward when my parents saw me for the first time today but they understand lol.

My lifestyle right now is really boring... Wake up, eat breakfast, watch TV or surf the net until nighttime, eat a few more times throughout the day and sleep. I'm overeating a bit and if I keep going then I'll have to waste around a month in the gym getting back to where I was. Normally I exercise almost everyday, so I have a high metabolism and stuff, but without exercise I just get fat lol.

Solita777:
I haven't had sex or masturbated since the op. and I won't be able to for at least another two weeks or perhaps even more. I'm not going to suggest anything to your boyfriend, but I definitely don't regret it since it's something that I've been considerring for a while and I finally decided to go for it after much thought, I just hate the recovery process and find it being a pain in the ass not being able to do any exercise or sexual contact. Basically, it's your boyfriends choice. It's a very minor surgery and very safe so nothing to be worried about. Just realize that for at least a week he won't be able to do anything other than watch TV, eat and sleep and in most cases you guys won't be able to have sex for at least 3 weeks.
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
oh, and the surgery cost 100 euros for the operation and 50 euros to meet my surgeon. This was at one of the best private hospitals in Belgium btw. And btw, the operation itself was rather relaxing... no pain whatsoever even though I was awake. I elected not to watch them perform the op, and the doctor and nurse operating me were always nice and I felt really relaxed and never nervous. It's the recovery process which is a pain in the butt...
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
Day 6: Today for the first time I actually see some form of improvement in my penis... and for some reason, I managed not to have a boner this night and slept in peace!!! yay!!! I'm really not worried about not getting boners in the future because well, i've always been able to "control" my boners so i'm sure I'll be able to get them just fine in the future. Nowadays whenever I see one coming I just start thinking about something else like dancing, soccer, football or pretty much anything that has nothing to do with sex.

My swelling is slightly smaller but still rather big, especially on the right side where I can pretty much pinch my swollen area and there's gonna be a pinch mark left!

Scabs are still there/forming, I took another salt bath and made sure my dick dried after that to keep the scabs. I did clean off the dry blood that served no purpose though.

My glands are definitely dryer but they're not necessarily "peeling" as other people have said would happen. I'm walkin around naked still lol.

The part when my dick hurts the most is when I touch an area surrounding a stitch where I got cut... guess that's normal though... Other than that, I can walk around fine now as long as I'm naked lol. I did finally do some exercise and it was definitely nice to just do something (squats, DB press, DB rows, shoulder press, arms curls and extensions) Tomorra I'm just gonna do statoc stretches and the day after I'll be doing bodyweight exercises because I'm hating the way my body is deteriorating whilst I'm circumsized. I want my lean athletic sexyness back lol. I'm definitely not gonna be swimming until my wounds close up completely, and I'm pretty sure i'll be swimming a lot when I move to florida in september!! beach baby!

Ugh, I hope I keep improving fast because although I did finally do exercise, I still don't wanna try walking aroud in boxers or anything... prolly won't for another week or two either until my stitches are out. I'm imaginin my stitches getting caught in the boxers now haha.
|
Users who thank Xptboy for this post: irishboy 

replied January 26th, 2010
hey everyone i had a cuircumsision last thursday to a condition causing a tight foreskin and to be honest was really suprised at how much it didnt hurt it had swollen to 3x its normal thickness it looked like a huge savaloy lol the only thing irritating me is the erections in the nitgh sumtimes i wake 3 to 4 times with a stiffy but everyone heals diffrently and at diffrent paces i am healing very quickly with the swelling reducing daily, i did alot of talking to the surgeon before the op and swatted up alot as it was my man hood i dint wanna take any chances, tcp in a hot bath really speeds things along dnt apply direct antiseptic to your skin as it also kills new skin cells as well as becteria just keep it clean and protect the head it will be sebsetive for a good two weeks peeling doesnt always occur its fine either way but i will say this i reccomend it to any one thinking of geting it it is more hysenic and sex will last longer but not with less sensation sum ppl experience a hier sensation at climax as for me its nor even been a week and i am happy i had the op any questons feel free to write me.
|

replied August 18th, 2010
circumcision healing/progression.
hi i just had a circumcision of my foreskin,....reason being.....my girlfriend Very Happy,....during sex i found it hurt a little Sad and my foreskin was very very tight when it was pulled down over my gland, imagine a rubber band wound around your finger tightly,......so i opted for the operation,....its day 3 now and its progressing nicely (i think ??).....my gland aka head is bruised so its of a yellow colour, its normal apparently....im having salt water baths for cleanliness,...and allowing air at my penis to dry then i put some gauze over my wound, i found wearing briefs instead of boxers helped an awful lot so i recommend briefs big time for keeping your "tackle" in its place .....boxers which i always wear btw lets the penis rub off alot hence friction hence pain lol...anyways im going back to surgeon in 2 weeks time so heres hoping guys,....oh and he stitched me up with dissolvable stitches,.......thank god Smile

anyway ill post another comment on day 6 about any improvments or upsets ..........hopefully improvements ,......thanks, see ye in day 6 Smile

oh and a big thank you to xptboy
your "dick diary" actually helped me in calming down and seeing if everything was progressing as normal, so far , so im taking a leap out of your book dude thanks again.
|

replied August 19th, 2010
Experienced User
what kind of cut dude? I'm circumcised too and it's german cut, my woman loves it
|

replied August 19th, 2010
circumcision
hi myke who was that reply for man ???and whats a german cut???
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
Experienced User
that was to xptboy.....well german cut is a style of circumcision. it removes all the foreskin like your penis is totally uncovered like in normal way, there are still foreskin that is cut but and it was just only stitches and enough only uncover your penis head
|

replied October 28th, 2010
Post circumcision swelling/care
Ok I've got a couple of questions. I was circumcised on 10/15/2010 due to recurrent balanitis. At first, my dick looked hideous. I had to return back to the hospital the nite of the surgery because the dressing was on to tight which caused my dick head to swell and made it hard for me to piss. It also caused ALOT of bleeding. So when I returned to the hospital, I was seen by another surgeon who removed the dressing and blood and urine started flowing out. Kind of made me scared but i realized that this was definetely a result of the dressing being on to tight. The swelling of the head also subsiding within minutes as well. So the surgeon placed another dressing back on but didn't wrap it that tite and instructed that I leave it on until the next night. I did just that but the bleeding continued. It was bleeding so bad that it was forming rings of blood at the point where the stitches were placed in to connect my shaft skin with the head. The blood rings looked like thick leeches!!! So this was very scary and I felt like something was definetly not right. My penis had also became so swollen to the point that the shaft skin was overlapping the top of penis head and I couldn't even see the stitches unless I pulled it back. So this made it kinda hard to clean. My dick looked like a fat cucumber and it was floppy. I started regretting the fact of having the circumcision done because things were just not goin in my favor. The bleeding continued over the next couple of days and the swelling was still there even after applying ice and getting erections made it no better. So I started doing research online and found out that Motrin and ibuprofen helps in reducing swelling. Luckily I had some ibuprofen at hand and I started taking some. So i went back to see my surgeon on the 20th and he agreed that it was a little bit more swollen than normal and that it could've been a result of the dressing being removed to soon and then rewrapped but not wrapped tight enough. Luckily, the bleeding had subsiding and he informed me that I could disregard using the gauzes. He informed me that everything else looked normal and that it was healing. I was instructed to continue to apply ice and that the swelling would soon go down. He informed me that the swelling was basically fluid and old blood and also told me that I had a large blood vessel that he had to cut and tie so that was another reason why I was having some of the complications. Also at the point where my shaft skin was overlapping the head, it started turing colors and it was also very hard and tender in that area and it was tender at the very top of the shaft as well. It was tender to the touch and it hurt when I got an erection. My surgeon informed me that the discoloration came from the blood that was coming out. He also informed me that I could even try squeezing the blood and fluids out but it would eventually go away on it's own. So i went on my way and continued taking the meds that he prescribed in order to keep off an infection and stop erections. I could not take baths, only showers so I spend at least 30 mins in the shower trying to clean it and noticed that during the cleaning process, blood would drain out from one of the cuts whenever i pulled the skin back to clean it. I guessed that this is what my surgeon was talking about when he said squeeze and drain the blood and fluids so I started doing that. The swelling started subsiding more over the days but the pain was still there. Also in the area where my skin was overlapping the head, the skin on my shift started rotting away if I should say and it looked as if it was infected. It looked like the skin that appears when you skin your knee or elbow or something and it shows the "white meat". Pus had also started coming out also and it smelled real bad. This made me very concerned and also I continued to get erections back to back which really wasn't helping at all. I went to the ER on the 23rd and was seen by another urology surgeon. He looked at it and said that it might be infected and that they might have to cut it back open and drain the fluid and blood out. He took pics of it and sent them to the surgeon that performed the operation. While waiting for his response, he started squeezing my dick head and wiping it which hurt like hell!!! The squeezing caused blood and pus to come out but the swelling was still there but it had went down TREMENDOUSLY! Finally, my surgeon contacted him and informed him that there was no need to cut it back open because the fluids would drain and that it didn't appear to be infected. They placed me on amox-clav antibiotics and informed me to continue to squeeze the fluids out during showers and apply ice and sent me on my way. I started the antibiotics and continued to shower but the wound/incision where the blood was coming from has healed so there is now no way for me to squeeze it out. The pus has also stopped a little bit as well. But now it appears to have gotten a little bit more swollen but the overlapping of the skin over the head has subsiding some also. I went back to see my surgeon on the 25th and he stated that the pus drainage is normal because its fluid from the swelling. Also stated the skin where it looked infected was just breaking down to form new tissue from the surgery. Also most of the stitches have fallen out. The stitches on the back of the penis head where there was an incision that went straight up and down near the pee hole have falled completely out. This is the incision where the pus was dripping from...well the pus looked like urine but the doc said it wasnt. He called it something else that started with an "F". He informed me again that the swelling would go down and to continue to take the antibiotics. Also informed me that the incisions looked great and that they were healing up and all the stitches would be falling out soon. My doc took my off work on the 25th to kind of rest and apply ice to the swelling but the swelling appears to be going anywhere and it hurts when I get an erection. I think the erections are contributing to the swelling. The ice packs are not really helping. I read online that taking baths in epsom salts can help speed up the healing process and reduce swelling but he informed me not to take a bath right now. I was told not to take a bath for another 3 weeks or so because he doesnt want the penis to be completely submerged in water which could effect the skin that had broken down. The meds that he gave me (valium) to decrease erections are not helping at all. I REALLY NEED SOME HELP!!! I know the healing process can take at least 6-8 weeks but what can I do to stop/reduce this swelling and decrease erections? Is there a dr that can help me with this??? Is it really to soon for me to take a bath? Keep in mind that the operation was done on the 15th. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
|

replied December 18th, 2011
Circumcision problem
Hi there i had a circumcision 8 days ago. about 2 hrs after surgery i was still in hospital at this point i had to pass urine before i left, which went fine but after passing urine lots of blood poured out, i was told to remove my dressing to be changed, at which point i looked down and the dripping bloody came from underneath the penis where the skin had been stitched to the penis, 6 hrs later it got worse and swelling was seriously abnormal, 8 hours later the nurse called the surgeon back in so he came straight back and tried to squeeze some of the blood out (which worked) to an extent, but it was thee worst pain i've ever felt, the bleeding did not stop.
So they had to take me back to surgery but give me an epidural because i'd eaten.
Turns out i had a 'hematoma' which i think they said is a burst blood vessel underneath the skin which caused the blood to clot! so they re-did it 12 hrs after, stayed in over night and i was home about 2pm.

so over the days the swelling slowly reduced and my penis got its colour back as it was literally black, i was put on Codeine phosphate, co-amoxiclav and paracetamols for about 4-5 days, i'm still taking paracetamol to help with the pain, swelling is slightly still there especially around where it has been stitched to the penis, bleeding still occurs slightly and sometimes puss comes out (from the stitch area) due to me having the hematoma the recovery might be a little longer, the erections were affecting me also after 3 days or so after surgery, yes that hurts bad but my doctor has been to see me after 4 days and he said its normal because before you wake up from a deep sleep your body goes into recovery mode and starts checking nerves etc etc, a bit like your computer doing a full scan.
so on this 8th day bleeding is still there ever so slightly though, still a bit of swelling but i did catch it with my thumb yesterday, i personally don't think the swelling will go for another 3-4 weeks and definatly not until stitching disolves.
Also can people tell me... now your well recovered, when you don't have an erection does it always look slightly swelled just behind the meatus?
Also in the mornings when i go to the toilet, the urine does not flow straight out, it feels as if im holding the end of the penis to block it then it bursts out. only does it in the morning though.
To keep clean i have been having salt baths once or twice a day which seems to help, i have also been washing my hands more regular than normal, and changing my boxers twice a day.
Anyone got any more tips or advice please Smile
|

replied January 24th, 2012
Hi friends. First off, let me tell you that it feels so good to see other peyote going through the same things i'm going through.

I got my circumcision done exactly two weeks ago. Mine swelled up, and I hated it and immediately regretted doing the surgery.

Some tips: use ice only 24 hours after the swelling. After that only use warm face towel or a warm packet, as continuing to ice it will make the swelling worse. For the first week I was icing it and it swelled and dint subside until I started taking antibiotics the second week. I also started soaking my junk in warm water the second week, and the swelling started to subside.

It is now the third week, and I saw an independent urologist today. He recommended me to get off the antibiotics (one week should be max), and to start doing Epsom baths twice a day for 30 minutes at a time.

All in all my junk looks disgusting and I try to remain positive since I can't really be myself (i'm a very outgoing and active person). Like I said thank you to the previous posters as it's great to see that i'm not alone in healing differently.

Moral of the story: don't cheap out on the operation lol. Also, briefs help tremendously after week 1.
|

replied January 27th, 2012
circumsision recovery
As a reply to my previous post, its now nearly been 7 weeks since my op, and all the stitches are now out and its fully healed, still a tiny lump underneath but that will go down over time, but its no longer irritating me i can walk fine etc, im going to give it another week until i try having intercourse with my girlfriend, but all in all... i regret the operation but i had no choice because i had phimosis..
So if there is nothing wrong with your foreskin in the first place just don't do it for your own sake! as long as you keep it clean it will be fine.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Mine was done nearly 4 weeks ago due to BXO. I'm 50. Prior to the op I washed in anti MRSA bodywash - twice and kept the area clean with bathing my swolen penis (ugg) in the same stuff and using antiseptic cream.
Op was done under a general anasthetic - a faster recovery time so they said. I did pass out whilst having a pee afterwards, but otherwise all OK.

Boxer shorts worn so the air could get to it, not tight clothing. Back at work after a couple of days but not running up the stairs! The only bleeding problem was slight - during shouting with a teenage son on the first day (blood pressure I guess!!!) The stitches dissolved after a couple of weeks or so. Just one remaining now. Took the odd bath rather than showers. I was told not to have sex for 3 weeks. So 3 weeks and 1 hour later I had a go. Bit like using a new toy Smile Sensation different - less sensation for me - and I lasted a lot longer. As I get older and have less stamina, this might be a problem so I'll need to keep fit!!!
The end was very sensitive of course. It's now getting so I don't have to 'adjust myself' during the day. There are three small lumps which I think are stiches underneath - they should go soon enough I assume.
As for the cost. In the UK there is no cost as we have the National Health Service. Paid for through everyones taxes. The hospital staff were great.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
you managed to do it proper after 3 weeks? fair play!
As you say it makes you last longer... it had a negative effect on me i last about 2 mins, it used to take me more like 2 hours!
I definatly have had no benefit from this surgery apart from i can clean it easier...
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Today I'm at the 2 week stage since my 'loose circumcision' and I've had some real issues so far.

I've only had a partial circ as the surgeon in the UK only wanted to remove just enough to stop my problem, so as a result I haven't yet been able to retract the remaining skin to even clean or even see the stitches. After day 3 I got infected and it was pretty bad. A strong course of medication has pretty much got rid of all the puss but the swelling on my penis is causing it to be very sore.

I'm concerned that I still can't get to the stitches to clean like everyone on hear keeps saying so what am I supposed to do?

I'm thinking that I have to give it a week or so to see if the swelling goes down further and then see if I can retract the foreskin.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
|
Quick Reply