Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Chronic Yeast Infections + Probiotics

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
I have been suffering chronic yeast infections since I was 15 years old and I'm 24 now. At first I wasn't sure what they were and here and there I would have relief from them... In the last 5 years I have treated with Monistat and that is so unhelpful. It honestly does nothing but irritate me further. I have talked to my GYNO and she gave me Diflucan... but I don't want to continue taking a drug that barely helps either. I have explained to her that the drug barely helps and she instead gave me two doses to take a week apart... Still it came back a week later.

I am sexually active with my boyfriend, but it isn't always that I get them right after or a week after doing anything with him.. I hear that the male can "reinfect" but since I didn't always end up with a yeast infection after being intimate with him I'm not sure about this.

I enjoyed 4 short months of no YI when I got started taking Junel (birth control) but then they reappeared shortly after.

I begun taking acidophillus or whatever it is called and I'm not sure that is helping either! So I went to Whole Foods and bought Ultimate Flora Vaginal Support with 50 billion active cultures per capsule. It has 10 strains of probiotics... My question is: Has anyone taken this? Does anyone have any tips? I know I am far from alone in this problem.... My mom suffered the same issue when she was in her twenties until she had me... Although I'm not willing to test her path since I don't want children at this time lol.

Probiotics? Do I have to take them each and every day for the rest of my life? Or will I eventually balance and have the ability to save $20-$40 a month?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi, yes the probiotics r the answer but i suggest u go to a vitamin store for the best price and in your case i suggest u take a minimum of 100 billion culture counts daily for at least a month, then if problems solved cut down to 50 for a month, and so on till u r down to 5 billion daily
as to the difucan that is the way to go and u probably need more
as to your boy friend giving the yeast infection back to you YES THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING bcause yeast does not bother him like u so he needs to get treated
SOMEHTING else u can do; throw away your current sex lub and while at the vitamin store buy some extra virgin coconut oil, which is good for u, tastes good and makes a great lub that helps protect u both because the yeast don't like the oil
another thing u can do is use the oil vaginaly with some of your probiotics mixed in as the probiotics eat the yeast and the oil is fine for u
NOW AFTER A FEW MONTHS of better health u can cut out the probiotics as long as u eat properly
never use douches other than the oil
you have become immune to the monostat type store bought and ended up making it worse also the fact that bf kept giving it back to you
have a good life
|

replied July 15th, 2011
I'm allergic to coconuts... So anything else out there I can use?
|

replied July 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
u would have to research it but there r other oils that will act the same way
but most important is get bf treated so as not to undo everything u just fixed
some dr.s will not give prescription for bf because he is not a patient so ask for extra difucan (fluconozole)
and for him a single 150 mg pill would probably fix it or he can use over the counter monastat type or athlete foot products; there r 3 main different ingredients and if u look at the ATIVE INGREDIENTS u will see what the three r and can get some of each and often can find that sort at the dollar store instead of 8 dollars at a drug store
good luck
|

replied October 11th, 2011
yeast infections
I used to have constant yeast infections tried everything and they returned. Switched to no bleach tampons and pads and they have been gone for over a year.
|