Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Chronic Sinusitis no congestion or runny nose?

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
I just had a Sinus CT Scan because I have had headaches since the first of the year. The results showed Chronic Sinusitis. It really surprised me because I have had no congestion, runny nose, or any other symptoms. Is it normal for a person with Sinusitis not to have these other symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The sinuses are air-filled spaces in the skull (behind the forehead, nasal bones, cheeks, and eyes) that are lined with mucus membranes. Healthy sinuses contain no bacteria or other germs. Usually, mucus is able to drain out and air is able to circulate.

When the sinus openings become blocked or too much mucus builds up, bacteria and other germs can grow more easily, and results in infection.

In many cases, the initial infection, persists at a low level, resulting in chronic sinusitis, which interferes with drainage and causes mucus to build up, ultimately causing blockage, and resulting in blocked nose, throbbing facial pain or a headache. Presence of allergies tend to worsen the condition.

Treatment of the condition usually depends on the severity of the symptoms. In most cases, OTC NSAIDs, like Advil, motrin or tylenol ; Antihistamines (benadryl); inhaled corticosteroids and antibiotics might be helpful to control the symptoms.

The definitive treatment of the condition is with a procedure called FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgery), which removes the diseased tissues and helps in re-establishing the patency of the sinuses.

Since the CT has already confirmed the presence of chronic sinusitis, you might consult with your doctor, and seek proper advice and treatment.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sinusitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.