Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Chronic pain in right abdominal and inguinal area...

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Hello hey Sorry in advance as this is kind of long winded. I am just hoping that someone has or has had similar symptoms as me, or can offer some advice or insight. Thank you!!

I am a 29 yr old female, and I have been having what started out as a dull achey pain in my lower right abdominal and pelvic area, starting from the area just below my belly button going down to the right inguinal area (the area just above the crease of my thigh) last year -- so this has been going on for almost a year, and is steadily getting worse. It started out as intermittent and seemed to get worse after I worked out at the gym. Now, it is just pretty much constant. The pain, however, feels very generalized and its hard to pinpoint the exact spot from where it is originating from as it covers a large area (my right to mid abdominal, from navel area to pelvic crease), and sometimes radiates to my lower back, and down my right leg. I also occasionally get what feels like a spasm or twitch in my right lower belly. I also have been having constipation since this pain started, coupled with more frequent urges to use the bathroom. I don't get cramps, it's just a dull, constant pain, which sometimes burns. The area also gets tender, and feels inflamed sometimes. Also I have a feeling of fullness in that area, and I constantly feel bloated. I also wake up belching almost every morning.

The pain has continually gotten worse, and it keeps my up all through the night and I can't get comfortable. I can no longer sleep on my stomach as the pain will wake me up. I've had to stop working out. I can no longer do cardio or any lower body workout, as I will be in terrible pain afterwards. I've gone to my doctor numerous times about this. He first thought it was a muscle strain and told me to rest and it will get better. I rested, and it got worse. He thought it could be colon related, but wasn't sure. I saw a gastroenterologist, who said it wouldn't be colon related if it hurt that low (in the inguinal area) but he offered to do a colonoscopy on me. I didn't wind up going through with it, but I am thinking about doing it now, as I am desperate. He suggested I see my gynecologist, who shrugged her shoulders at me, as my pelvic sonogram came back good, and she had no other opinions on what it could be. Then my dr. thought it was an inguinal hernia, and sent me to see a surgeon, who examined me and determined that it is not a hernia. I also had an mri of my abdominal area, which showed a tiny umbilical hernia and some fluid in the abdominal area (but i was told this is not the cause of my pain).

I am absolutely desperate here, and I am scared to see another doctor as I feel that they shuffle me around but I never get answers. Also, my insurance is very expensive and I have to pay a $50 co-pay each time I see my doctor. My doctor doesn't want me to get a ct scan as he said it gives off too much radiation, and i had three of them when I was younger (for ovarian problems), and he doesn't want to add to the radiation. So my only other option is colonoscopy? I am scared and have no idea what this pain is. I just want to know what is causing it so I can fix it and feel better.

Has anyone experienced anything silimar? Could it be colon related?

Any help or input would be so appreciated! Smile And thank you for reading this far!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Since your ultrasound, done recently is normal and there was no pathology seen, it is possible that your symptoms could be due to Irritable bowel syndrome or due to other functional pain disorders.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and diarrhea).

IBS does not cause any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events.

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives for constipation, antispasmodics for abdominal pain, and antidepressants).

You might consult with your doctor or your gastroenterologist for a proper examination and treatment.

I hope this helps
|

replied November 9th, 2012
Lower abdominal pain sometimes burning
Omg this sounds exactly like my symptoms ! It's been close to a year now I've been suffering. I search for answers on here but usually there s always other symptoms such as nausia , vomiting, fever. I don't have those symptoms , only pain and changes in bowl movements but not constantly one way or the other which is confusing. I went for a ct scan yesterday and now I have to wait 2 more weeks for results. Hopefully they can tell me what is wrong. Good luck in finding your right diagnosis . I would love to know what you find out a this could be what I am suffering from as we'll. take care.
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2012
Hi ccstettler,

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late, as I just read this reply. Did your CT Scan show any results? I am in the exact same situation as when I originally posted, nearly a year ago. Same pain that plagues me daily. I went to see a different gynecologist who took a guess that my right ovary is jutted forward too much and is pressing on my internal abdominal muscles, causing the discomfort, but he said it should only hurt during ovulation. He also said there's nothing to be done about it - just pop a motrin. He then (as per usual doctor protocol) sort of brushed me off. But I'm not sure I agree with him, because the pain is so widespread and constant - also my pain seems to be (temporarily) alleviated after a bowel movement.

I am super stressed out now because my insurance is changing at the end of the year, and I will have a very high deductible and co-insurance.... I'm considering going to the ER today as the pain is so intense right now.. I hate this feeling of desperation.

Well I hope for yours and my sake we figure out what this is asap. I will continue to update here if I take any more tests. Please let me know how you're faring.
|

replied November 21st, 2012
This sounds a lot like what's been going on with me too, including the hernia idea and surgeon who said it isn't one, including the uninteresting but expensive pelvic ultrasound (a tiny cyst found that the ob/gyn says can't have caused my abdominal discomfort), including the hard to exactly locate discomfort feelings. I like that the docs don't seem all that concerned as long as the discomfort isn't turning into pain, but I still get paranoid. I've wondered if it's IBS, except that I don't really have what I keep reading are the typical symptoms of constipation / diarrhea.

Good luck to both posters--please post back if you get any results.
|

replied February 9th, 2013
Abdominal pain in this area is usually acute, and can be spontaneous or chronic. It can be a dull or sharp, localized or diffuse. Accompanying symptoms include nausea and vomiting, tenderness, constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, bloating and gas, and fever. Read more about effective treatment on buygenericultracet.com.
|

replied January 30th, 2014
Hoping to reply to original poster, Scarlett. I'm having the same pain and have also been referred for gynae scan. I have some issues there but the pain doesn’t seem to be related to these. Pain is worse during ovulation as other responder wrote but now can come and go at all times and is sometimes so severe it stops me sleeping, other times mere discomfort. Thought it might be a sports hernia as I play tennis or even appendicitis. My doctors just want to sort out the gynae stuff and not explore further. Did you ever find out what yours was?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.