Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Chronic nausea after eating

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
A month ago I had just got over a 3 month period of chronic nausea after eating. Didnt matter what I ate it was the same, lasting from 30 mins to 3-4 hours after a meal, or sometime just all day. I would feel very hungry after this. Basically the longer i didnt eat the better i felt, though this way i started to lose weight. Also excessive burping, and sometimes shivering too. Bowels normal. Have lost about 5 pounds in total.
My GP tried me on Omeprazole (in case it was reflux, gastritis or an ulcer) - which didn't help. Then tried compazine (an anti nausea med) which didnt work either and just made me too sleepy. Also tried a low fat, no dairy, no caffeine diet and kept a symptom diary for three weeks - but it didnt make any difference.
I had full blood tests done, and fasting blood sugar too. All came back normal except for amylase which was slightly raised (about 240 i think) then was back to normal around the time i started to feel better.
After 3 months i started to feel better, though i had not made any other dietary changes - it just seemed to fade away. The doc said we should should leave well enough alone and not do any more tests to see what it was, they seemed happy to just not attempt a diagnosis and dismiss it as 'one of those' things! They said they wouldn't do a scan cos i have had no pain (or only mild discomfort in upper area) so it wasn't my gallbladder or anything.
Anyway, after a month of feeling ok the nausea is now back. Would you have any ideas what this could be?
I do suffer from anxiety, and wondered if this could be an anxiety symptom, though it doesn't feel like that - its too closely related to eating, and just doesn't fit my usual anxiety symptom patterns.
BTW im female, 35 years, from UK
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper maycreek
|

replied September 15th, 2009
It is possible that your nausea is anxiety related. Anxiety medications such as Ativan are sometimes used to treat nausea. I was told by my GI that the same chemicals which cause anxiety in the brain cause can cause stomach discomfort. I too am suffering from mysterious chronic nausea which began at the beginning of June following a viral illness. My next step is to be evaluated for gastroparesis--or slow stomach emptying. You should consider looking into this cause as well.
|

replied September 16th, 2009
Thanks. That's strange that yours also followed an illness. Mine started after a very bad bout of tonisilitus - had never had any problems before. I will look into gastroparesis. If it's anxiety though, do you think that would be so regular and only after food?
|

replied September 16th, 2009
When my doctor suggested that anxiety could be playing a role in my nausea, I had a hard time believing it. In fact, I still am not convinced that this is the problem. I don't usually feel consciously anxious prior to an a episode (mine occur mostly at night, by the way), although the recurring nausea does seem to make me anxious. It's a vicious cycle.

I have also been evaluated for gallbladder problems via an ultrasound and a HIDA scan (these can both be ordered by your doctor at a hospital). Gallbladder disease can cause pain, discomfort, and nausea following meals. You may want to look into gallbladder problems as well. I was told my gallbladder is functioning at a "borderline normal" level (33%), though I have never had pain, which is the most typical gallbladder symptom.

On another subject, my GI doctor told me that sometimes the stomach is "shocked" following a viral illness and no longer functions properly. I guess that the system eventually normalizes in most cases. Post viral gastroparesis sometimes occurs, and there are medications which can "speed up" stomach emptying. One of these is Motilium, which is not available in the USA (where I am), but I believe it is available in the UK. There is a test for gastroparesis where you consume a small amount of radioactive food, and they time how long it takes your stomach to digest it. Young women are the most common group affected by gastroparesis.

In my case, I have so far achieved some limited success with Aciphex (another PPI like Nexium), though Nexium did not work well for me. Often one PPI from the group will work better for each person, if acid is playing a role. Good luck. If you want to talk to you can email me at cmh61 at humboldt dot edu.
|

replied October 6th, 2009
Just an update. My nausea is a lot better, but i still get trouble with it for a few days a month, generally around my period. Any chance this could be hormonal?
|

replied February 9th, 2013
I just recently started getting nauseous after eating, though sometimes its not even after eating. Onset seemed to be at a restaurant where I ate something, cheese I think, and knew right then that something was wrong. For three weeks now I have had intestinal distress, at first cramping and constipation. That has cleared but the nausea has not. I have some days where it's reasonable and I think I am over it all and then the next day it will come back with a vengeance. I am not at all prone to anxiety. I can't find any real triggers except coffee which I discontinued and still have symptoms. Very frustrating. I had been on amoxycillin for ten days just prior to onset which I'm guessing weakened my immune system and made me more susceptible to bacteria/food poisoning.
|

replied March 10th, 2011
chronic nausea after eating
Everyday for a year I have been vomiting after eating. Now when I eat, I get dizzy and my mouth feels like it fills up with saliva. I have had every blood test done, and they cant find anything. Also I can start to feel palpitations when the food starts to digest. Really stressful situation, especially not getting any answers.
|

replied March 16th, 2011
Re: chronic nausea after eating
babyjenn1227 wrote:
Everyday for a year I have been vomiting after eating. Now when I eat, I get dizzy and my mouth feels like it fills up with saliva. I have had every blood test done, and they cant find anything. Also I can start to feel palpitations when the food starts to digest. Really stressful situation, especially not getting any answers.

Does your body heat up a lot? I used to have dizziness along with my body heating up and a kind of banging (like palpitations)it used to hurt so bad that I would heavily salivate and it would flood out of my mouth in my stomach after I ate.

I take prevacid(daily)and go to an acupuncturist(once a week). I would suggest an acupuncturist because that's truly what saved me. Gave me the ability to burp and fart correctly; even though I did a little, I never realized how much my body was missing until after a session with the acupuncturist. It's worth a try, especially if medicines aren't working or they don't even know what to suggest.
|

replied October 25th, 2012
I suffer from exactly what neonsky has said, its been about 3 months too....Just had some blood tests done.

wish someone could help me
|

replied November 10th, 2012
relief
Go to a natural foods store and get some enzimes and probiotics
|

replied April 6th, 2013
I have had on and off nausea after eating for the past 2-3 years however in the past 6 months it has gotten sooo much worse. Actually got to the point last night that I threw up so bad I broke the capillaries in my face. My doctor cant figure out what is going on but I am thoroughly frustrated with this and wish there was an answer!
|

replied July 8th, 2013
I have been getting nauseous after every meal for just the past few days. Like I'll eat lunch, feel like I'm going to throw up (but don't) for a few hours, and then by the time dinner comes around I'm hungry again but then the nausea starts all over and then lasts most of the night. The only thing I seem to be able to eat without feeling sick is Cocoa Pebbles of all things. Tonight I ate very small portions of what my mom made for dinner but then felt sick and had awful diarrhea. No clue what's going on here...
|

replied August 6th, 2013
Ask your doctor for Zofran. It's an anti nausea med which helps me greatly. I've had this problem since I was a kid and now I'm 64 years old. There isn't anything that hasn't been tested, looked at or poked on me. The doctors still can't figure it out. And don't let anyone tell you it's anxiety because that just means they don't want to admit they don't know what it is. Of course you get anxious when you are out in public and feel nauseous. Who wouldn't? IBS is just a catch all term for "I don't know what is causing your gut problem". Just don't give up and don't worry about changing doctors. You will find one who truly wants to help and is kind to you even if they can't figure it out. Maybe you will be lucky though and they will find out the answer to your situation.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
periodic chronic nausea
Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, occurs most commonly in individuals who have a sensitive colon or large intestine, according to NDDIC. NDDIC also reports that some individuals may suffer from IBS due to bacterial infections or parasites lining the intestines or digestive tract. Those who have celiac disease may be at an increased risk of developing IBS. Symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain, nausea, constipation and diarrhea; it affects individuals differently. You may experience the symptoms for weeks at a time, then not have any symptoms at all. They may also come and go periodically. There is no cure for IBS, according to NDDIC, but making lifestyle changes can help reduce symptoms, such as stress management and change in diet.

|

replied August 12th, 2013
I have been going through this same thing for a month exactly. I went to a hotel, ordered room service and felt sick the next morning. I didn't finish my food from the night before, but that's not unusual when I eat out. I had cereal the next morning and got so sick. Finally felt better when I had a bowel movement. Every day when I got, my nausea was so bad after eating everything. My nausea started to get more manageable, but then it came back and was really bad. Every day the nausea was different and would be accompanied by different symptoms. Sometimes my nausea would get better if I constantly burped, sometimes I would feel better after going to the bathroom, and sometimes I just had to go to sleep because the nausea was so unbearable. I found myself nauseous no matter what I ate, so I just didn't. But obviously, not eating made me weak and I've lost five pounds. Haven't been to a doctor yet because I'm sure they'll chalk it up to anxiety which I'm positive isn't the case. Has anybody been to see a doctor about it yet and gotten an actual diagnosis?
|

replied June 19th, 2014
chronic pain and vomiting
Hi. In the beginning of April this year I noticed I gained 17 lbs in a month. Vomiting after eating and my stomach was distended and I had weakness, constipation, fatigue, pain in chest under chest, lower abdomen and back. I went in and they did numerous blood tests. They were concerned about liver (low protein)so I went for a ultrasound. After a cancer scare and having to wait for the results for 3 days, that showed numerous cysts on my liver and one kidney. Then they say I am fine but I still had those symptoms so they ordered a CT scan. They said that everything was fine. I still had the symptoms. I was put on omeprazole which after 6 days did nothing. They ordered a endoscopy. More waiting like a whole 2 weeks and that only found gastritis. As the symptoms continued he said they have done everything they could think of and said lets try you on amitriptyline for possible IBS. Then he referred me to an OB GYN. I had one but he said to go to this other Dr. So he just basically made me feel like it is all in my head. I even asked what the whole freaked out issue was about my liver and kidney yet nothing was said again. I even wonder why he never ordered a colonoscopy to see if I had any issues from that end.
I do a have family history of fibroids which all had hysterectomies to solve that and my mother had uterine cancer so now when I go see this ob gyn it will be for ultrasounds from outside and inside. I sit here still with the same symptoms doing everything he told me to do. Made sacrifices of my favorite foods good and bad and of all things my coffee, with no results. I am Female ofcourse and just turned 46 was diagnosed with peri menopause in 2012. I am an on the go type person that does not stop til something is done. Now I feel like I am worthless cause I am sick all the time. Anyone have any feedback on this matter?
|

replied June 27th, 2014
At this point, you could have eating anxiety. Zofran helps a lot in nausea, as well as probiotcs, which restores the good bacteria in your intestines. Other than that, I'm having the same problems...
|