Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Chronic Kidney Pain and long term pain pill abuse

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Can long term pain pill abuse cause the abuser chronic pain in the kidneys? My girlfriend has been sick for quite awhile, going on 10 months now. She has symptoms of extreme kidney pain, and we visit the hospital on a regular basis. Sometimes the doctors will say it's a kidney infection, some say a urinary tract infection, others will question hydronephrosis. Every once and awhile we will get doctors that say everything is perfectly fine and in running order. When asked her pain level in the hospital it is always 9 or 10. She moans and rocks in horrific pain sometimes. She abuses pain pills. She crushes pills and snorts one then will take 3 or 4 orally two or three times a day. She takes Vicoden, Percocets, and Nucynta. If she has them, she will go through about a dozen a day. She takes the 5mg, the 7.5mg and the 10mg of vicoden and percocets. She takes the 100mg of nucynta. Most of these are not pills that are perscribed. Every now and then she wil get scripts from the hospital. When she doesn't have pills she complains about extreme kidney pain on both flanks but it's worse on the left. This is why she takes the pills to begin with, to treat her kidney pain. So with all that being said my main questions are: Can long term pain pill abuse cause the abuser chronic pain in the kidneys? What damage is she doing to herself with this excess of narcotics? Most importantly, where can I find help for her?

Pleading for answers,
anonomousguy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi anonomousguy and welcome to ehealth: She is addicted to these drugs...I doubt her pain is anywhere like she thinks it is, but her want of drugs is bigger...She needs help...I would suggest you talk to her doctor and see if she can get some treatment...It will not be easy as coming off of these is rough...Good luck....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 29th, 2011
Thank you Caroline,

The thing is she doesn't want to bring the subject up with the doctors she sees. She insists that the pain is real and that there is something seriously wrong with her. She gets very upset and angry when I bring the subject up. Should I step in and say something to her doctor behind her back? I feel that if I did that she would just refuse the treatment anyways because she believes something is wrong with her. What if something really is wrong with her?

-Thanks again
anonomousguy
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi again: When a person is addicted to drugs or painkillers they will go to any limit to get them...They can make the pain horrible in their mind...I would think that the doctors would be able to see this by x-ray...When I used to get panic attacks, I was sure I was going to die...I had the pain in my chest..I didn't do this to get drugs, but the mind can play games to make something real...When she takes the drugs they relieve the pain...She goes into a different state...I know, I used to know these drugs...

I can't tell you what to do...But, like you said she would refuse the treatment as she wants the drugs...She has to want to quit them to do it...Take care..

Caroline
|