Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Chronic Kidney Disease 16 yr old

Must Read
The kidneys are in charge of filtering and creating necessary chemicals in the body. What happens when the kidneys are damaged? More on types of kidney disease....
Diseases such as diabetes or cancer can cause kidney disease. But are you at risk of developing this potentially serious condition. More on risks and causes....
Kidney disease can be difficult to detect. Learn the signs and symptoms of kidney disease early so that you will know when to seek medical help....
Dear Doctor,

One of my relative got hospitalized due to higher Serum Creatinine levels, and her level is 8.1 and she is under treatment in a hospital.

She is a 16 year old school girl and Doctors have presently prescribed her with dialysis. She got this problem since few years ago and Serum Creatinine levels were not that hight but above the normal levels, but she was obese since then.

Is it advisable to go for a kidney transplant since Doctors are not advising anything at this moment except going on dlialysis.

Pls advise.

Thanks and Kind Regards
Irshad
from Saudi Arabia
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum. I am glad I can help you here.

From the history provided, it seems that your relative has Chronic renal disease, which is currently on renal replacement therapy (Dialysis).

Renal transplantation can be beneficial to her since she is very young and has a long life to live. Also the chances of rejection can be prevented, since medication to prevent rejection are so effective, the need for genetically identical donors is less.

Advantages of early renal transplantation: Kidney transplantation is a life-extending procedure. The typical patient will live ten to fifteen years longer with a kidney transplant than if kept on dialysis. The years of life gained is greater for younger patients. People generally have more energy, a less restricted diet, and fewer complications with a kidney transplant than if they stay on conventional dialysis. Ideally, a kidney transplant should be pre-emptive, i.e. take place before the patient begins dialysis.

The average lifetime for a donated kidney is ten to fifteen years. When a transplant fails, a patient may opt for a second transplant, and may have to return to dialysis for some intermediary time.

Some major problems after a transplant may include: Transplant rejections, graft failures, infections and sepsis, electrolyte imbalances, need for long term anti-rejection drugs and Immunosuppression induced secondary myeloproliferative disorders (leukaemia, lymphoma)

You might consider consulting a nephrologist for additional information and discussion of the benefit of the procedure in this case can be ascertained. Then you can decide on whether to go ahead or not.

I hope this information helps you in your healthcare needs.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.