Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Chronic hepatitis B and ultrasound results

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
I am 38 and have recently been diagnosed with chronic hepatitis B. My primary doc referred me to a gastro for further monitoring and follow-up. My gastro dr has performed the battery of liver function tests and also an ultrasound.
Some blood test results:
ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE - 35 U/L
ALANINE AMINOTRANSFERASE - 36 U/L
ALPHA-FETOPROTEIN - 13.1 ng/mL
FERRITIN SERUM - 283.2 ng/ML
HBV QUANT - 5888437 IU/ml

Ultrasound findings:
Findings: There is a diffusely coarsened liver echotexture. There is a
mildly nodular posterior liver contour. There are several scattered
circumscribed, homogenously hypoechoic lesions, the largest on the
right measuring 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.2 cm. In the anterior right liver, there
is a homogenously hyperechoic, relatively well circumscribed,
nonvascular lesion measuring 9 x 7 x 11 mm.

Impression:
1. Grayscale ultrasound findings consistent with chronic
hepatocellular disease.
2. Several indeterminant hypoechoic hepatic lesions measuring up to
1.6 cm in maximum dimension. Liver MRI is recommended for further
characterization.
3. Indeterminate hyperechoic lesion in the anterior right liver may
represent hepatic hemangioma.

I just found out the ultrasound results yesterday and have talked with my gastro dr but Im still concerned and trying to prepare myself for whatever is to come. Should I be concerned about the detection of the lesions and how is a hemangioma distinguished from the other lesions? I am assuming an hemangioma has vascular properties that the other lesions dont?

I am scheduled for an MRI next Monday afternoon and an appt with my gastro dr on Wed to review everything and look at treatment options. Cancer was mentioned by my gastro and has me quite anxious as I lost both my parents at fairly young ages (44 and 49) to different forms of cancer.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2017
(online)

The lesion described is indicative of a vascular tumor of the liver.

Hepatic haemangiomas, also known as hepatic venous malformations, are benign non-neoplastic hypervascular liver lesions. They are frequently diagnosed as an incidental finding on imaging, and most patients are asymptomatic.

Recommendations for patients with no known risk factors for hepatic malignancy can include
1. performing confirmatory examinations (MR imaging, triphasic CT or scintigraphy) - to rule out any cancerous lesions
2. follow-up ultrasound in 6 months to confirm stability of the lesion.
3. Surgical resection for patients with Tumors > 5cm diameter and with progressive abdominal pain.

If you have any symptoms, treatment may vary from symptom relief to possible surgical resection.

You might consult with your doctor, who can provide specific medical opinion.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.