Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Chronic gastritis and inflamed duodenum

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I don't have A-typical Acid Reflux, I had a colonoscopy and Endoscopy (I am only 3Cool was told I have a chronic Gastritis and a inflamed duodenum. I tend by the end of the day to get nauseous. I am on Nexium once a day,which I usually take in the am. Any other suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Get728healthy
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
Gastritis
I have the same exact symptoms and treatment....this is terrible....I wish someone could help us.....I don't know what to do....mine is so severe I have swollen lymph nodes in my abdomen now.....any help would be greatly and I truly mean greatly appreciated....now the doctors try to write it off as IBS or anxiety.
|

replied October 8th, 2009
Gastritis
Hi i also have the same symptoms. I have been taking 30mg lansoperazole and zantac 300mg which has helped emmensly. I found staying clear of alchol and fatty foods help. Im now going to try the alkaline diet as this creates less acid in ur stomach, thus allowing it to heal quicker! Are you feeling any better yet?
|
Users who thank ashr2k for this post: callahan 

By the way you can find foodd which are more alkaline and more acidic by typing it into a search engine.
|

I so appreciate all of your help. The 30mg of lansoperazole you take is that a prescription or over teh counter? Can you please tell me if you take that at the same time as you take your zantac or one morning and one at night? I ask because I have tried so many medications and seen 5 doctors for this issue and each one says something different. Currently I am taking 40mg of Nexium in the morning 1 hour before breakfast with a large glass of water. This news about the food is great because I have been attempting to research that with no avail and the doctors all say no dietary restrictions. I had an endoscopy and they removed 2 small polyps (noncancerous) and said they were not the cause of my symptoms, which is true because I am still in so much pain. It feels like my stomach is being strangled. Lastly, the only real thing I have been told is severe gastritis.....inflammation.....so now what I ask and the gastroentrologist says try this medicine called raglan that may cause paralization of some sort.....that the meds move the food through the stomach quickly....I opt out of that, but have been considering because I have so much pain. The nexium only seems to help almost a good amount with the heartburn...but I still have it and the nausea is less with it.....put the pain all over my abdomen and tenderness is so bad I cry and sometimes am on the floor. Thanks for reaching out to help encourage me (a stranger)....Thank you so much!
|

replied March 30th, 2011
I have an inflamed duodenum and all the tests came back negative for bacteria, colitis, etc. For me I have irritable bowel too (basket diagnosis to cover anything really) so when I'm going a lot my inflammation symptoms are much worse. If I just take Zantac and Pepto Bismol (which you can take long term according to my Doctor) this only helps some. The major help is Paxil (a serotonin uptake/reuptake drug) which slows my digestion and also calms any anxiety (it does have some negative side effects - sexual function mainly - so you have to balance what is more important). When I'm on Paxil I don't have much problem, but still take 1 Zantac 175 each morning and a pepto bismol pill 1 to 3 times a day before meals. Good Luck.
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Gastritis and peptic ulcer are currently considered infectious diseases. Gastric inflammation (gastritis), as well as stomach and duodenal ulcer (peptic ulcer disease), result from a gastric infection by the bacterium Helicobacter pylori. The inflammation is usually caused by hypersecretion of stomach acid.

One of the simplest and effective home remedy to cure gastritis would be to take a tsp of ajwain with a pinch of salt. Gulp this mixture with a glass of lukewarm water.

Coconut water also proves to be effective in treating gastritis. Take coconut water twice a day.
|
Users who thank Get728healthy for this post: Susanne101 

replied June 15th, 2013
Gastritis and peptic ulcers are not considered infectious diseases; they are inflammatory conditions with many causes. The causes may be nsaid use,h. pylori, auto-immune conditions, etc. However to the op- maybe try a different proton inhibitor like dexilant or aciphex. Further, try to avoid eating late, eating too much chocolate (messes me up), and drinking too much coffee (if you drink coffee). Another option would be to look at possible gluten sensitivity or autoimmune disease. Hope that helps in any way possible! God bless!
|

replied June 15th, 2013
Gastritis and peptic ulcers are not considered infectious diseases; they are inflammatory conditions with many causes. The causes may be nsaid use,h. pylori, auto-immune conditions, etc. However to the op- maybe try a different proton inhibitor like dexilant or aciphex. Further, try to avoid eating late, eating too much chocolate (messes me up), and drinking too much coffee (if you drink coffee). Another option would be to look at possible gluten sensitivity or autoimmune disease. Hope that helps in any way possible! God bless!
|

replied June 15th, 2013
|

replied June 15th, 2013
|

replied June 15th, 2013
|

replied June 23rd, 2013
I just received the same DX as the OP a few weeks ago and also am on Nexium 40mg/daily. Additionally, I've had endoscopies on the past with no issues, but after this one my throat has been sore ever since. The doctor says it can take a long time to heal. I also saw an ENT doctor, he said its caused by acid reflux, although I did not have this pain before the procedure. Has anyone been able to get off of Nexium after 3-6 months, will it eventually heal the esophagus/stomach?
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2013
Experienced User
If your not moving food thru your gut, check out and google Gasporesis , I have had GERD for years 1996 and been on and off ppis, nexium is the best. I have had chronic gastritis CHANGE your diet, google GERD bad foods, they will help. IBS is a blanket term, IBS is only when you eat and you have urge to go #2 very quickly, u bloat, gas, u must stay on he toilet on and off until the attacks subsides. I have GP now due to being mis diagnosed and it's VERY SERIOUS, if the nerves r not moving food thru your gut, the food will rot causing gases to come up the esophagus, this can cause abcessed teeth over night. You will be constantly vomiting, bloated, in pain. Yes reglan does hav a side effect, but I have been on it since 1996, and now have developed a tremor.. There is a FB group, that talkes about living w Gasporesis . GERD can be controlled by diet, elevating head, eliminating, chocolate, coffe, soda, tomatoes, alcohol, no eating after 6 pm, beware of fish liver pills ect, these all make GERD worse. If your GERD is burning throat and gut, drink cool water until u fel it in your stomach, sit up, it dilutes the GERD !
|

replied February 6th, 2014
gastritis the duodenum and lymph node swelling
I have has lymph node swelling in my neck for a year and a half- now lymph node swelling in my groin, immobilizing pain in my back- it has been suggested that it is gastritis- stomach area is swollen to the touch. I am prone to duodenal ulcers- hospitalized for one week in the past. I am on a drug from the 70's- H2 inhibitor twice a day. It allow me to walk around my house but no further after a few days of use. It's called Tagamet. They gave it to me when I had a bleeding ulcer in the hospital. I have been going to chiropractors and physio for relieve but it is a huge waste of money because muscle injury is not the cause.
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2014
(online)
Thank you for asking!
usually chronic gastritis management depends on The cause like H Pylori, NSAIDS induced, Autoimmune, Vorioliform, Eosinophilic etc. Taking nexium for more than 8 weeks has its own troubles and need to be monitored, Also the dysplastic changes for these chronic gastritis are also worth monitoring.Avoidance of triggers like NSAIDs (Pain killes) Spices and good bowel habits with keen monitoring for H pylori eradication and a constant touch to a gastroenterologist is recommended.
Prevention and precaution is the only management here/
And last but not the least have an eye on your Red blood cells and vitamin B12 and get constant injectibles of Vitamin B12 as recommended doses as gastritis leads to megaloblastic anemias.
Hope it helps
take care
khan
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.