Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Chronic Fibrosis/Scar tissue of the triceps tendon

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Hello, I hope somebody can help me.
7 years ago I injured my triceps tendon playing baseball. I was 12 at the time. I am now 19. I did not go to the doctor as I thought it was just a minor injury. The pain had subsided after I stopped playing and did not return for 5 years unless I threw a ball or lifted weights. The pain returned 3 years ago and this time it hurt all the time (if I leaned on it wrong, shot a basketball, touched it the wrong way). A bump formed right below my funny bone right on the tendon.
I decided it was time to see my family doctor, and he was unsure what exactly the problem was but he said it was likely that I had partially torn the tendon at some point and it had healed with scar tissue. I was sent for physio treatments and it had little to no effect. I was given two cortizone shots to the area but that only provided relief for a few weeks and eventually none at all. After that, I was sent to see a different doctor who did an MRI on my arm.
The MRI showed no structural damage. The doctor told me I had chronic fibrosis and heavy scar tissue build up on my left triceps tendon. He also unfortunately informed me that I cannot get surgery for this and I was stuck with this injury basically forever.

So why can I not get surgery done? I have seen baseball players get scar tissue removed in the past. Also, if I truly cannot get surgery done, what other steps can I go through? Thank you for your time and help and I look forward to a response.

Mike
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 23rd, 2010
So 96 views and nobody wants to help me? Gee thanks.
|

replied February 12th, 2012
Hi Michael,
I am new to eHealth Forum, hope it is not too late-
Vitamin E has been known to remove scar tissue, even from the most advanced cases where it is burried within muscle tissue.
Vitamin E plays many roles in the body, but it has also to do with the fundamental structure of every cell, even at the chromosomal level- If you can start to add 600 untis daily to your diet, and eat vitamin E rich foods, this should take care of this scar tissue for you.
Something you shold know, when you take supplements, it can get toxic if you take "too much", however this is a realative term. If you take vitamin E in its natural forms, from vitamin E rich foods, there has never been any recorded episode of toxicity.
Check out this book from Amazon, and see if that helps you- I have ssen some amazing things from vitamin E therapy, hope you get to experience one, too.
Good luck-
|

replied March 9th, 2011
tricep tendon scar tissue
MichaelZ34
I see this post is a year and a half old, However,
Go for a second opinion.
YOU most likly need cross frictional massage on the tendon to break up the scar tissue.
Rick
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
As msltank noted this is an old question, so the original poster will probably not see any of these responses. However, questions about scar tissue in muscles and tendons are quite common.
MichaelZ34 asked why scar tissue could not just be cut out with surgery. As he had seen professional athletes having surgery for scar tissue problems. Unfortunately, surgery (controlled trauma) causes scar tissue. (All tissue, except bone, heals by creating scar tissue.) Depending upon how much scar tissue a person's body makes, surgery could actually make matters worse.
When surgery for scar tissue is performed, it is usually on a very discrete nodule of scar within a tendon. This discrete nodule is usually delineated by an MRI. The normal tendon is carefully dissected from around the scar tissue, then, as much as possible, it is removed without causing any further damage, and the normal tendon sutured to close down the defect. Widespread or diffuse scar tissue cannot be removed, nor can scar tissue that has become a supporting structure.
Patients often feel that they should be treated just like a professional athlete. However, when someone is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a game, for his/her athletic talents, a higher risk to benefit ratio is often accepted.
In the original poster's situation, his MRI was negative for a discrete area of scar tissue. That is the most likely reason surgery was not considered feasible. Unfortunately, it seems that today, many people are willing to undergo a dangerous procedure for an easy, quick fix (or what they perceive as easy and quick). As msltank noted, some types of physical therapy can be tried. They are usually more successful earlier on, but can be attempted late. Deep friction or cross friction massage may help. Ultrasound and iontophoresis (+/- corticosteriod) can also be tried. Long, sustained stretching can sometimes produce favorable results. However, the thing that usually helps the most, and patients hate, is a change in activity. Unfortunately, if all else fails, that sometimes becomes a reality.
Anyone with this type of problem should discuss it thoroughly with his/her healthcare providers. It is a difficult problem to treat and every case is different.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
I have had good success with gua sha and enzymes that break up the fibrosis/scar tissue: serragold and wobenzymes. I take pretty high doses (12 serragold pills per day and 14 wobenzyme pills per day). This has taken away a lot of chronic pain. I also take 11 fish oil pills daily, which helps with inflammation. All of these were recommended by my acupuncturist who performs gua sha.
|

replied March 27th, 2013
As my experience, gua sha is really do something for the health. I purchased gua sha tool and perform gua sha for my family. They felt very good, Nice natural therapy method..
|

Treating fibrotic tissue
I would seek a trigger point therapist or chiroprctor trained to do muscle treatments. They can break up the scarring and thin it out making it affect you much less with rubbing and holding pressure on it. Rolphing may help too. At home you can run heat on it, or put a heating pad on it and then buy a cheaper hand held messager from Brookstone in a mall or order one off line and massage it long and hard with the messager to break up some of the scarring.
|

Oh, and always ice it after working on breaking up the scarring as it will swell a little bit and burn.
|

replied August 27th, 2013
Hey, i have the same condition, and its becoming 7 years. So i was in a fix about this whole thing.. didnt know what to do, i met a lotta doctors. and the first time i met a doctor i was given these anti inflammatories along with a couple of exercise suggestions. but it was all too painful to handle. so hopelessly and i continued taking anti inflammatories for a while. and that didnt work, so i tried some ayurvedic massages, and that didnt work either. so i still have it. and i was going through the internet right now, and at about the same time i saw your post. i read it every comment that was given in here.. and i went on browsing. and just now i found this LINK.. And i think you should go thru it, as i did. it found it very useful. you can plan your next steps according to this. do take a look at this, cuz i think this can help you just as much as it helped me.. Smile cheers mate. i hope you get where even im trying to reach. sincerely. AJ
|