Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

chronic constipation

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hi, I am 21 years old and I started suffering with chronic constipation about 4 years ago, i've been to a doctor and she told me to take miralax which helped at first but it seems my body is becoming ammune to it, I've tried laxatives and all that seems to do is make my stomach cramps and lower back pain worse, I don't even have a bowel movement when I take them. The only time I go on my own with out help from miralax is the first couple days I start my menstraul cycle which is always very painful. I haven't been diagnosed with endometriosis but have read a little bit about it and am thinking it may be whats causing this problem. Confused If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 3rd, 2008
Answer for Chronic Constipation
I suffered my entire life with chronic constipation. I had it since I was a little girl. I have used Miralax, Zelnorm, Metamucil, Benefiber, natural things and everything else. Many of these worked for some time but eventually stopped. I have used a product called South Mountain Hydration Formula. It has been the best! I have used it for over three years. It's natural and I'm feeling so much better.
|

replied May 5th, 2012
cant find South Mountain Hydration formula - where is it online? thanks ANN
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Experienced User
certain foods will set a pattern off for my constipation.
try to keep a journal of what you eat and when the constipation starts it's vicious cycle again. If you feel it's hormonally related, you should ask your gyno. I see there's been a few woman at this site who have the same symptoms around their period.

Stress is a biggy for causing constipation. Another one which is even more important is that we don't drink enough water. Dehydration is a big culprit for constipation.
I for one of them don't like to drink water, but I have to force myself to. I find if I leave a bottle of water on the counter to get room temper or just luke warm water from the faucet, it's easier for me to drink it down.
Even better, is distilled water. I find it so silky and smooth and clean. I thought it was just for putting into irons so minerals don't mess up the steam tank in the iron. You see that happen when you press your steam button and all these little particals get onto the clothing. LOL
Eating certain foods can trigger it too. I find that when I eat foods made with flour such as bakery goods, cereals, and I"m still trying to pay attention to what other kinds of foods may be adding to the problem. I'm not sure if milk is another culprit for me because that's the only time I have milk is in my cereal. so I don't know which is the one causing it.

Another food that helps my constipation is fruits. specifically peaches and cherries. cherries being the number one fruit. I got the idea from one of my favorite novels. "The Good Earth". In Asia where the story took place, this farmer who was selling the peaches by the road side said it was good as a cleansing. I found out for myslef that it's really true.
But the only thing is, it's a seasonal fruit and I only get to enjoy them in the summer time.
I used to take colon cleansers when my chronic constipation first started, but after having a colonoscopy my dr told me that my colon was pigmented black. there's a name for this condition and it happens when you take too much of the product that it's in laxatives and these cleansers.
they used to think it was a precursor to colon cancer but have found out later this was not true. it still does damage to the cells of the colon though.
I didn't use them all the time so was pretty surprised he told me I had this problem.

I wish there was something on the market we could take that would just make it go all away. there are so many people with this condition and there is nothing so far that really works consistently.
I tried the mirilax, I tried the metamucil, I've tried stool softerners and still nothing seems to make it better. Only for a little while. I can take laxatives and they don't even work. My dr doesnt' seem to be concerned though. He doesnt take my insurance anymore and only talked to me over the phone the last two times which was in 2007-2008.
I feel like something is now blocking the stool from exiting. I took four laxatives in the course of two days and still can't go. the cramping is there caused by the laxatives and I think I have to go, but when I try, there's no success other than just a very small amount.
I'm at my wits end and dont' know if I should find another dr? or is this just a common thing? Do I just ride it out? what would you do?
I'm beginning to see it's pretty common by reading everyones posts who have chronic constipation and don't know if this is something that should be seen by a doctor?
|

replied July 28th, 2008
Experienced User
It's worth the cost to see a professional nutritionist to get to the cause of constipation that continues for weeks or months. They can order certain tests that regular M.D.'s don't use, and can pinpoint a cause. Constipation of course can be caused by many different conditions, everything from not enough water to adrenal disorders to very serious intestinal conditions etc. Call a nutritionist. And take Lots of DIGESTIVE ENZYMES. Go to the phonebook. Call now. And smile. It feels good.
|