Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Choosing a Neuromuscular Dentist

How do you know which Neuromuscular Dentist is good?
I'd like to hear what type of things to research and look for before I invest my money in them.
thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 25th, 2008
In reply to neuromuscular dentistry
HI,

I have been looking into it myself, I have two displaced discs, and also have some kind of compression of the trigeminal nerve, which I found out can also be caused by badly displaced discs. The first place to look is under ICCMO google it in and then put in the area in which you live. You will find that not all practice the same way, depending on when and how they were taught, and depending on your particular problem, some use lower splints, some upper and some use both. Read my post under neuromuscular dentistry. There are some good ones out there, not all methods work for everyone, but surgery I am told is the very last resort, because it not reversible. Check them out and see what they say and do your homework, in what methods are being used, like I say not all use the same methods. Hope that helps you out, if you have any other questions feel free to reply.

CCR..
|

thanks for this information. I was considering one of the neuromuscular dentists in my area who is LVI trained and I found her on this website.

I am debating wether I should see a General dentist who also specializes in TMJ, orofacial pain, dental sleep medicine or Neuromuscular. the dentist takes my insurance so i can get at least limited amount of coverage. Neuromuscular does not take my insurance and i hear people have to pay quite alot of money.

Does any one know if , for example , patient gets an orthotic, is this where it all ends? or do you have to keep going back to the doctor for readjustment of it? or do you keep having different things done to your jaw and teeth throughout your life?

Does Neuromuscular solve the problem or do you keep having to go back to them all your life?
|

I heard that neuromusular dentistry is good to align the jaw
Hi Again,

I heard that some prothodontists do some similiar work, its good to ask around, sometimes neuromuscular dentist or othodontists and they like to do braces and bridges ect. It all depends on the training and what they feel is needed. It is expensive and I really don't think that just any dentist that says he knows about TMJ is experienced though, you have to know their credentials, and look up what they practice, I've been to some that say they do and don't have a clue how to address it. Readjustable splints are specialty splints and that is used to realign the jaw, and reposition displaced discs, I have no idea how extensive your problem is, if you are just merely grinding and clenching and that is what is causing discomfort. There is a lot more I am dealing with so a simple splint to stop me from grinding is not enough. Check around and ask a lot of questions, before making any decisions. All the best with your quest.

CCR..
|
Tags: hear, TMJ
Quick Reply