Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Cholecystectomy five months ago.

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
Cholecystectomy was done five months ago. There was some scarring in the bile ducts that were stinted and "scraped" down and the stints removed.Also infection, sludge/small stones I didn't recover very quickly post op. Three months post op I was still vomiting after some meals and began to develop pain under the right rib cage extending into just under the sternum. The pain eased for awhile but the right side of my abdomen goes numb (pins and needles)during these episodes, mostly when sleeping on the right side. When these bouts of pain take place they always seem to be accompanied by bile stool which I don't seem to have any other time. I am concerned having had the scarring already present in the duct and that could again be an issue. Is the pain & numbness something that would cause great concern? What should be examined if anything? Is it something that needs immediate attention or will go away over time?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2011
Gallbladder Disease Answer A29719
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Persistent pain after cholecystectomy, is associated with post cholecystectomy syndrome (PCS).

Such symptoms occur in about 5 to 40 % of patients undergoing the procedure and ‎may include - Upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, Gas, bloating, diarrhea and persistent pain in the upper right ‎abdomen.

Such symptoms are usually due to either sphincter of Oddi dysfunction or to post-surgical adhesions. ‎

Other conditions which can give rise to such pain can be many, including :- ‎

1. Retained stone in the cystic duct, gall bladder duct.‎
2. Inflammation of gall bladder duct, if long enough had been left behind.‎
3. Inflammation of the part of gall bladder, if some part of gall bladder had ‎been left behind as in case of partial Cholecystectomy in a difficult to ‎remove gall bladder,‎
4. Overlooked stone in the common bile duct.‎
5. Already narrowed opening of the bile duct.‎

Treatment of the condition might need treatment with antacids, proton pump inhibitors, ‎antispasmodics, Cholestyramine or sedatives. Lifestyle changes specifically adopting a low fat diet and weight loss might also be very helpful.

You might considered a experienced gastroenterologist for additional information and proper advice ‎regarding further treatment.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.