Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

chipped bone

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
ive chipped a bone in my left foot,its the second from my big toe.im worried as i cant bend any of my toes and its got a burning sensation also my ankle is aching all the time and i cant walk on it at all a week after the accident .is this normal thankyou
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2011
Especially eHealthy
pacnchez,

No, it is not normal. Unfortunately, many non-orthopedic doctors dismiss chip fractures as insignificant, when they can actually be the sign of a severe injury. Not always, but sometimes.

Chip fractures are of two kinds. The first is a small fleck that has been pulled off the bone, when a ligament or tendon got ripped off its attachment. The other is a slightly larger piece of bone, that got knocked off the corner of a bone when two bones slammed into each other.

Just because the fragment is small does not mean it is an insignificant injury. Yes, sometimes, the chip is just a tiny portion of a ligament, and it is essentially a bad sprain. But, in other cases, it can portend a significant ligament or articular cartilage injury.

So, if the foot does not feel better soon, you should probably see an orthopedic surgeon. Or someone who can tell if the chip is significant or not. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?