Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Child with skin cancer?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have a 10 yr old daughter who has reddish(auburn) hair and LOTS of freckles-she gets this from me! She has 2 freckles that do not look the same as the others, one is on her arm and it has a black dot in the center of it and is a bit raised-it has been this way for at least a few yrs without any changes. The other is on the side of her neck and is also raised but over the last few months she says it itches and over the last few weeks now has a red ring around it. I have made an appt with a dermatologist but they can't get us in for at least 3 weeks, I'm really nervous (my mom has basal/squamous cell) should I insist on getting in sooner? Does it sound like something to be concerned with?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Freckles aren't raised skin lesions.
They are flat, light brown or red, skin dots.
It is very possible that the two lesions you are mentioning are moles.
Moles with uneven color (black dot), area of red ring around the mole, changed sensations like pain and/or itchiness are all symptoms that warrant medical attention.
These changes may indicate some inflammation due to accidental mechanical irritation of the mole (redness, itchiness), but may also indicate some cancerous changes.

If it is possible to arrange an appointment sooner than 3 weeks, than do it!

Please, keep me updated!
Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?