Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Chilblains - Itchy Swollen Toes

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
hi, I've some very serious problem..in winter season , my foot fingers get swollen and itchy. Every winter this problem occurs. when winter goes , spring comes everything gets normal as before but again when winter comes the same problem comes along .i'm a computer student. winter is my studies season and i got the this problem therefore i can't study properly...plz i'm very much disappointed and discouraged.i consulted with many doctors but all in vain. i feel like dying with this problem... plz i humbly request u to help me out of this hell problem.. plz...
i hope i will get some very useful and effective suggestions from u kind people..

THnak u so much really....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Rider160
|

replied January 12th, 2010
swollen itchy toes at winter season
i have the same problem so i feel your pain. i found this on the net searching for solution to this swollen and itchy toes of mine, ZYRTEC ALLERGY PILL.i haven't used it yet but i think i could as help someone in the same hellish problem.... i hope it works for you.
|

replied December 5th, 2010
It's a condition called Chilblains, which is caused by cold temperature extremes and poor circulation of extremities, particularly the toes. See following link and make special note of the symptom picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilblains#Sy mptoms

I myself live in Northern Minnesota and have suffered this condition every winter or the past 5 years. I always thought it was athletes foot. Keeping my feet warm doesn't do much good, because my feet sweat and condense, therefore despite any effort to keep them warm in 20 below zero weather is only futile. When I vacation in Florida for a week during the winter the condition completely disappears, and eventually comes back after returning to cold northern climates. The only effective way for me to rid of the problem is to move to Florida 6 months out of the year during the winter months, and move back to Minnesota during the summer.
|

replied January 15th, 2011
Itche Feet..
Ok.. My toes are not swollen but from just above my ankles down and the foot become very itchy. The toes especially the big toe nail becomes so sensitive that it is painful. If it touches the bed sheet or the top of my boots/shoes I get this sensation that is not pleasant. I am not sure what it is but the only way I can get relief is after I take a shower I pour Vinegar down my lower legs and drench my feet in the vinegar the itching goes away and the sensitivity recedes.. But I still do not know what it is that I have.. It is not athletes feet, I do not have an odder nor sweaty feet and it happens anytime...winter or summer... What is it? If you ahve any Ideas please, write me. Thanks...
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
Re: Chilblains - Itchy Swollen Toes
yatin wrote:
hi, I've some very serious problem..in winter season , my foot fingers get swollen and itchy. Every winter this problem occurs. when winter goes , spring comes everything gets normal as before but again when winter comes the same problem comes along .i'm a computer student. winter is my studies season and i got the this problem therefore i can't study properly...plz i'm very much disappointed and discouraged.i consulted with many doctors but all in vain. i feel like dying with this problem... plz i humbly request u to help me out of this hell problem.. plz...
i hope i will get some very useful and effective suggestions from u kind people..

THnak u so much really....
|

replied January 11th, 2013
dip your feet in a bucket of warm water with some drops of dettol in it, do this just for 5-10 mins. apply some moisturizer cream on ur feet. i've been doing this for a while and has given a little relief to me. i had some painful cold-sore blisters developed and severe itching as well, man i had difficult time while going to sleep..
|

replied January 19th, 2013
Itchy toes in winter
I too have this same problem with the itchy and swollen toes, I thought at first it was athletes foot but after 3 tubes of medicine for it, it was still there. My problem only occurs in the winter and I researched it about 4 years ago. I cannot remember the name of what it is but the article says it is caused by your feet being warmer than the rest of your body. I find relief by standing on a very cold surface for about 3 minutes in my bare feet. I cannot sleep with the covers over my feet or they start to itch again. By time I get home from work they are itching so bad that I take my boots and socks off and walk to the door in my bare feet, then I am good until my feet get too warm. Hope some of you find relief in this method. Still searching for a pill or something besides going around with my feet freezing all winter.
|

replied December 8th, 2013
I've also have this problem; really warm feet, swollen itchy toes especially whenever I wear my shoes for too long. What I usually do to relief some of the itchiness is to use tea tree essential oil.

Mix a quarter size of lotion with a drop or two of tea tree oil and moisturize your toes. Make sure to get in between those toes. Do this before bed and when you feel the itchiness is too unbearable. You can also use almond oil or jojoba oil instead of lotion.

I've recently found that if you put some cotton balls or tissue paper in between your toes, it lets the air cool them and keeps the toes from rubbing against each other. It helps relief some of the discomfort. Hope this helps.
|

replied January 20th, 2014
Chilblains- itchy swollen toes
I have the swollen, painful, itchy, red toes too. I am an MS patient and have constant cold feet and poor circulation. Double whammy. I have an even harder time than normal walking around with painful toes. I plan to discuss this with my doctor the next time I go in. My feet feel worse when they're warm but it's also not fun when they're so cold they hurt either... Trying to strike a happy medium with no luck so far. Has anyoe seen a doctor for this? If so, what was the recommendation?
|

replied February 23rd, 2014
Solution to sore swollen toes during winter time.
I have had a problem with 1 or 2 toes on each foot swelling and get red and sore. This is the 4th year and I am 44 years old. I have poor circulation in my feet and legs. I discovered that this was happening when I would wear long underwear (which was all the time in the winter). Common sense would say to keep legs warm but the tightness of long underwear or tight socks makes this worse. It is February now and this is the coldest winter on record here in MN. I swear by this one. Wear Wind pants instead of long underwear. They are easier to put on and off when going places and are amazingly warm. Also, wear big loose fitting mittens when snowmobiling or outdoor activity. Having poor circulation sucks but don't let it get the best of you. No tight clothing that restricts blood flow! I hope this will help someone
|
Users who thank Rider160 for this post: killerb 

replied March 5th, 2014
Itchy Toes.
I have had the same problem for the past 3 years - Itchy Swollen Toes and they get red and sore, specially at night time, so I found a solution for my problem, CALAMINE LOTION ON YOUR ITCHY TOES SPREAD WITH A COTTON BALL IT WORK. GOOD LUCK.Smile
|

replied March 5th, 2014
I have had the same problem for the past 3 years - Itchy Swollen Toes and they get red and sore, specially at night time during the winter months I found a solution for my problem. Calamine Lotion spread with cotton ball, before a go to bed it work, finally a can sleep at night.
|
Tags: itchy, swollen
Quick Reply