Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

chicken or duck egg ?

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
User Profile
dear friends,
hi,
i just want to know about the food value of egg kinds.
one is chicken and otehr is duck egg. which is better to eat ,,i am a women of 35 years age....
thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eggsyum
|

replied March 20th, 2009
Eggs
Are always high in cholesterol because of the yolk. All you have to do is eat the egg whites and avoid the yolk of any egg and the biological value is extremely high, one of the highest I believe. Try to buy the cheaper one as eating only the egg whites and discarding the egg yolk will cause you to eat twice as many eggs for the same amount of calories. For taste purposes, you could include one egg yolk for per say every 4 egg whites.
I believe all eggs are made almost equal when it comes to BV.
|

replied May 27th, 2009
egg yolks
I think avoiding the yolks is a mistake. First, I don't believe the insinuation that cholesterol causes heart disease. Studies have shown it to be a risk factor for some portions of the population, but to my knowledge no one has shown it to be a direct cause. Cholesterol is a nutrient, not a poison. High cholesterol is likely a symptom of your body attempting to repair damage from some other cause. When you avoid the yolk you miss out on much of the nutrition, particularly the fat soluble vitamins, notably K2, which has been shown to reduce arterial calcification. And, arterial calcification has been shown in some studies to be a better predictor of heart disease than high cholesterol. I fear that the public is not hearing that because eating better makes no money for the pharmaceutical industry. Check out www.vitamink2.org and http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition /vitamin-k2.html For the other side of the cholesterol story: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/
|
Users who thank eggsyum for this post: Helius 

replied May 27th, 2009
duck vs chicken eggs
I've seen figures of 6x the Vitamin D, 2x the Vitamin A, and 2x the cholesterol (yum!) in duck eggs vs chicken eggs. Duck contains about 75% of the Vitamin E in chicken eggs. Duck eggs reportedly also have more Vitamin K2, but I haven't seen figures for the amount in duck eggs. Also, I think Vitamin K values often only report K1. Duck eggs also are higher in calories for the same weight quantity, probably due to it's slightly higher fat concentration. Also, keep in mind that the eggs of free-range, pastured animals generally have higher levels of vitamins and higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids. The yolks are darker, yellower, indicating a higher nutrient density.

Duck eggs are generally larger than chicken eggs, so you'll get more food for the same number of eggs.
|
Users who thank eggsyum for this post: Helius 

replied May 27th, 2009
pastured vs conventional eggs
These are chicken eggs:

"...eggs from hens raised on pasture, as compared to those commercially raised factory farm eggs, contain:

* 1/3 less cholesterol
* 1/4 less saturated fat
* 2/3 more vitamin A
* 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
* 3 times more vitamin E
* 7 times more beta carotene
* 4 to 6 times as much vitamin D

|

replied May 31st, 2009
my censored posts
This site sent me emails informing me that each of my posts contained advertising, and two of my posts were censored. I can assure you, I'm just trying to present information about a food I consider very healthy, but which is often erroneously thought to bad for you because it contains cholesterol. No study has ever shown egg consumption to increase chances of heart disease. It's too bad that belief still persists among the general public, because eggs raise blood cholesterol a rather minimal amount and the nutrients they contain are good for the heart and circulatory system. The Harvard Medical Center online will tell you that an egg a day can be part of a healthy diet.

Anyway, back to my censored posts. The first edit removed a link to a commercial site, but the page was mostly devoted to a comparison of duck and chicken egg nutrients. It's the most comprehensive I have seen. If you want to find it, google the following words and it will likely be the first hit: Duck Chicken Egg Nutrient Comparison. And seriously, if you want to buy duck eggs, get them from wherever you want.

The second was a reference to the information comparing pastured and store-bought eggs. My link was just an article on the Mother Earth News site. I double-checked the page. They weren't selling anything in the article. They probably want you to subscribe to their magazine, but you don't have to do that to read the information on the page. And yes, there were ads on the page, but what site doesn't have ads on the page? This site does--there are five to the left of my posts right now. It's brief, but you can search for it if you want. It was "Free Range vs. Pastured: Chicken and Eggs," dated 3/5/2009. Or just read the blog post you get when you google these keywords: egg pastured conventional
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
The best egg are from pastured animals. Ones that have been raised eating bugs and running around a yard or pasture with access to fresh water grass etc. They also have to be supplemented with a very balanced grain diet, that includes other things than just corn and soy.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
The type of saturated fats in eggs turn into unsaturated in the body unlike some saturated fats making the bad cholestoral count near 0
|