Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Chia Seeds and Salvia for constipation (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Well, here is my slant on chia seeds. I am a 58 year old female, who has had cronic constipation for several years. I had had several ruptured disks in my lower back years ago, and had been put on narcotic painkillers for several months. I had heard they were constipating and assumed that was the cause. Looking back, I think the real cause was nerve damage, because prior to that I never experienced constipation, and after going off of the painkillers, the constipation got progressively worse until I was in agony with it. I had a stroke in Auguest of '07, and constipation took on a whole new dimension. I was having a bowel movement once every 6 days or so after 2 or 3 days of terrible pain and straining. I couldn't sit, I had no "push" or urge to go at all, just bloating, swelling and a terribly full rectum. The stool was invariably dry, and in little round pellets, kind of like deer droppings, even though I was taking 2 collace capsules every night. I tried Fiber Choice, bran cereal, prues, prune juice (I did hear taking a full glass of prune juice and lying on your left side for 30 minutes would really do the trick, and it did work once or twice, but then it didn't any more.) I tried lots of roughage (salad every day, sometimes twice a day), spinach, sour kraut, lots of home remedy suggestions, no results. My doctor suggested Milk of Magnesia, I gagged it down (why didn't she tell me it came in tablets?) and it worked. Once. Never again. I was looking for information of psyllium husks and Metimucil when I ran across an article about Salvia (Chia Seeds) ending constipation. They made it sound like a miracle. I ordered 3 one pound bags and made the gel. (1/3 cup of seeds, 2 cups of water, stir, wait 5 minutes, stir again.) The gel can be stored in the fridge, eat 2 heaping tablespoonsful every morning. Surprisingly, it isn't slimy, it is very enjoyable, fun to pop the little tender seeds. At first I was stirring it into bran cereal, it didn't taste bad, but looked awful. Then I just ate the gel. At first I thought it was another dud idea, and almost gave up. Nothing happened for about the usual 6 days, but then I had a very full, painless BM, almost no straining, and felt much better. Then nothing for 2 more days, then another large easy BM. Then a regular BM every day for the next 3 days. Two days more, no BM, then a BM every day for the next 3 days. All easy, fully formed. The next day I had 2 BMs. Today I had another. This works. It really does. Don't give up too soon, evidently it takes about a week or so to get going, then you're pretty much set. I had to pass this on as I know what the misery of constipation is, and if even one person benefits from what I have learned it will have been worthwhile. I am using the regular black seeds. Right after I ordered them, I saw lots of ads online that say only the white ones work. I also saw the articles that say that is so much hype, and both colors were tested and had identical properties. Of course, the white are about 4 times more expensive than the black, and if I hadn't already gotten the black ones I would have liked to try the white, but they are working for me just fine. I paid about $6 a pound for them online, lots of places sell them. They are the mysterious "SALVIA" you are hearing about, just another name for the same thing, a cheap, readily available seed grown in Mexico. Its even the same seeds used to grow the green stuff on Chia pets! Lots of Omega 3 oils, lots of other benefits supposedly, and I guess that is probably true, but they do put an end to constipation, at least for me. Until I found them I was considering dynamite! They can also be used in cooking, or just sprinkled over other foods, my husband likes it in oatmeal, I like the gel myself. If anybody has any questions about my experience with this stuff, I would be glad to help if I can.

Best wishes,

Missy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper missy777
|
Users who thank missy777 for this post: happyvl  getinspired 

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2008
Advanced Support Team (online)
Thanks for the tip! I'm a 32 year old female with similar problems. I guess you could say that I'm a "tight ass" or "anal". I tend to get anxious about little stuff.

Anyways, I'm going to try the salvia seeds. I also have some psyllium seeds. The supplements are so efficient that the pharmaceutical industries have gotten a law passed in France making psyllium husk tablets no longer available in the country. So this stuff works!

replied January 22nd, 2009
Chia Seeds
I appreciate you taking the time to write this, I am on about the 4-5th day, and I was really about to give up, I haven't had a BM in that many days, and the thought of all those seeds just sitting there LOL I wondered what was happening, but I'll stick this out another 2-3 days, thanks again!
|

replied January 25th, 2010
Hydration with seeds
chchchchia - Lots of water helps the gel get through, and really necessary if you are using flax or chia seeds for constipation. I think the calculation is to drinkthe number of ounces equal to 1/2 your body weight (in pounds). I personally drink 3/4 to 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight everyday, starting with 1 liter luke warm water when I first wake up. Certainly helps keep things moving Wink
|

replied May 9th, 2010
do you ever have pale motions with taking chia seeds./ i did and wondered why
|

replied November 6th, 2010
Chia seed gel is great but DO MAKE SURE YOU DRINK ADEQUATE WATER. If Chia seed is not soaked properly in enough water before you take it, the seed will continue to absorb fluid from your body and may take too much water out of your body, which would not be good for alleviating constipation.
|

replied April 5th, 2011
I drink a ridiculous amount of filtered water daily (usually 3 quarts, but ALWAYS 2 quarts). so are you saying to make sure that the seeds need to be soaked in enough water? Kindly clarify. Thank you!
|

replied December 11th, 2011
MIX CHIA WITH WATER!
Hi Tesser,
Yes, to ensure Chia doesn't CREATE constipation you are well advised to make it into a gel, first. That way, you know it has absorbed enough water, and won't need to take any from your precious cells.
|

replied January 27th, 2011
Chia the Bowel Cleaner
Yes I agree. Chia seeds help you go. I don't know why I stop eating them, because everytime I start eating them again, my movements are "satisfyingly emptying" Chia Seeds are fab. I generally make a banana/choc super thick smoothie and add that to my chia gel, this make a delish breakfast. I''l add that drinking lots of fluids helps the seeds even more.
|

replied April 5th, 2011
how do you make your shake?
|

replied March 10th, 2011
what is the advantage of making a gel??
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2011
Experienced User
Missy77 how r u doing, does anyone have Ibs or stomach issues. I would love to get of the MofM and colace.. thanks ww
|

replied May 26th, 2011
Chia Seeds Rock!
There is no advantage to making get versus eating the seeds in food, other than you've already added some needed water to the seed.
The biggest issue is definitely hydrating, but I am loving my chia seed regiment.
My GI put my on psyllium. He wanted me on it for 4 to 6 weeks during which time, I was having horrible, mucusy bm's(this after years of horrible constipation!). I added the chia seed at night and my bm's leveled out immediately. I decided to stop the psyllium husk b/c I read it can be very drying, besides why not just up my chia seed dose and have the added Omega 3's... I did that for four days and then tried another glass of psyllium and I felt horrible. I am back on chia alone and am soooo happy! I have yet to contact my GI b/c I don't think he will be happy about my modification but it works for me! It beats the heck out of his recommendation which is psyllium, miralax, colace, senna, and milk of magnesia! I don't want to take any of that crap on a regular basis.
|
Users who thank LogicalMama for this post: happyvl 

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2011
Experienced User
thanks mama, i have been on colace for ever and milk of mag, sick of it, so i may give it go.. what works is all that matters and the natural way is way cheaper!! thanks ww
|

replied May 26th, 2011
Good luck, Wicked... I definitely subscribe to more natural remedies. I feel like the medical recommendations are mere band aids and not permanent resolutions. I do 1 full tablespoon of chia seeds in a full glass of water twice a day... once in the morning (with warm water- said to stimulate digestion) and once in the evening with room temp water. I let the seeds sit in the water for about 5 minutes. I like the flavor and as I said, I've had a great change in my bowel movements (a few a day, without pain and great consistency)!
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Chia seeds
I tried the chia seeds and woke up cramping and bleeding, I made a protein shake with almond milk I have been cramping with the runs for two days. What did I do wrong?
|

replied August 13th, 2012
Carrageenan in Almond Milk can cause gastrointestinal upset
I read somewhere online that carrageenan can cause gastrointestinal upset and even colon cancer! Carrageenan is in almond milk! Perhaps if you made homemade almond milk, it wouldn't cause gastrointestinal upset since it wouldn't contain carrageenan.
|

replied January 24th, 2012
I would like to say that I just got out of the hospital with a bowel blockage somewhere up the line above where a colonoscopy could find anything and below where an oral scope could see it. It was scary. I bloated up and had incredible pain that led me to drive to the emergency room. A ct scan showed the blockage. After two days of stomach pump, incredible amount of vomit, and a giant bm, everything cleared- except the cause was not clear. After returning home I looked at the package of chia and it said not to use it if you have a blockage. I didn't have a blockage when I began using. I think the problem I had was created because of the suggestion to put it in your yogurt. The problem with that is that it doesn't absorb moisture to swell and gell from yogurt, so you are essentially eating the chia dry and if you don't chase it immediately with a lot of liquid it can swell somewhere down the line and create a blockage!! So be careful, I think that is what landed me in the hospital. I had used chia in the past for nutrition and energy for workouts but always soaked it in lemonade before drinking. That is the best way to have it- in a water based drink or after soaking to a gell.
|

replied August 14th, 2012
yogert chia
why doesnt it absorb in the yogurt?
thats my favorite way to eat it
my yogurt is not commercially made
its rather liquid
i buy it from an homish farmer
i would think the chia will absorb some liquid in a liquidy yogurt dont you?

i wish i knew
what the deal was
i have tried also grinding the chia first (powder)
before adding it to water or yogurt

i have had serious constipation
never the pain you had
but i did not go for an entire month many years ago
was before i knew about chia

warmly glad your ok now
tee
|

replied February 8th, 2012
The Chia seeds aslo helped my constipation, but now I have a lot of gas. Very, very loud gas, (not smelly)What should I do? I do not want to stop taking the chia seeds. I usually use my chia seeds with hot green tea. should I have them just with water?
|

replied February 16th, 2012
Chia works!
To the person who went to the hospital. This sounds like what my husband had, they said it was a blockage as well and it turned out to be a very diseased gallbadder and he had to have it taken out even after all of the vomit and huge bm and feeling better but the pain came back and we were in the ER again and they did not know what it was so we went to a larger hospital that diagnosed him right away and operated.
My husband and I have been eating a heathy organic diet with lots of roughage, and water, this seems to constipate us. I did find the Chia and since we have been having morning smoothies it has been a dream come true, thank God for Chia seeds!
|

replied March 1st, 2012
I have been using chia for several months without any side effects UNTIL I stopped soaking it overnight. This past week I have been too busy to remember to soak my chia ahead of time, and found that (for me, at least) a 20 min soak is not enough and will cause gas. So I would to suggest that anyone experiencing this to consider soaking overnight -- about 1 TBSP to 2-3 ounces of water is sufficient. Then next day add to yogurt, juice or just more plain water.
|

replied March 19th, 2012
I've been putting chia seeds in my food, yogurt, everything for about 2 1/2 months now. Twice last week I was awoken with pain in my stomach. I had not been soaking them at all, just sprinkling them in my food. After reading these entries I will start soaking them and drinking more water. Thanks for the info!
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Instant affordable Chia pets for your lawn and gardens!
Give them to your dogs (after soaking the seeds), you will have cylindrical little Chia Pets on your lawn within a few days!!!! True!!
|

replied May 9th, 2012
Really, really important to soak chia seeds (5:1 ration water to chia). The chia seeds should be soaked overnight to fully hydrated them.
|

replied June 8th, 2013
Do you use ground chia seeds or without grinding them?
|

replied May 9th, 2012
Really, really important to soak chia seeds (5:1 ration water to chia). The chia seeds should be soaked overnight to fully hydrated them.
|

replied August 24th, 2012
There are many advantages to soaking your seeds, including creating live enzymes which it turn help digest and utilize the chia, soaking will also greatly increase the nutritional value , be sure not to use hot water. If you are using yogurt, I would recommend adding the chia gel to the yogurt.

Also note that chia is one of the best super foods. Thought i would mention that since its been overlooked here.
-Its is one of the best Omega 3 source. "Better" than Flax or Fish oil
-It is a COMPLETE Protein. Has all essential amino acids
-Its a great Antioxidant
-Fiber (Soluble and insoluble)
-5 x the amount of Calcium than milk and more absorb able because of the boron in it
-And more Vitamins and Minerals

Kevin
|
12 >>