Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Chest Tightness Hard to Breathe

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
About 3 weeks ago, i started to experience symptoms id never had before. I had trouble breathing, almost to the point where i was gasping for air. My lungs hurt/felt sore, my chest was tight. I had some sinus blockage and the nasty green/yellow phlegm coming up. No cough and no fever. It got so bad i went to the ER ad they did the blood tests and EKG. Both looked good. I took a few chest x-ray's and the doctor said i had pneumonia. I'm guessing it was the viral kind because i didnt have a fever and really only had the sinus blockage and pressure plus the chest and breathing problems. The doc gave me a weeks worth of cipro. I started to feel better towards the end of the cycle of anti-biotic but not really 100%. About a week passed and the problems came back. I woke up in the middle of the night and ended up going back to the ER (different place). Yes i know racking up the bills lol. They didnt do any blood work and but put me on breathing treatments (nebulizer) and took x-rays. This time i was told no pneumonia, even though i felt the way i had the first time. Was told it was bronchitis and was given no anti-biotics and just an inhaler.

Anyway, i ended up going to my family doctor as a follow up and was put on zthromiacin/max (spelling) for a 5 day cycle because i still had a very tough time breathing and thought even with bronchitis anti-biotics was the best route.

Today, i feel as i did before. It comes and goes in spurts but there are times, more often than not, where my lungs feel very sore and heavy. I've had sinus headaches and it feels like my throat is tight. No fever, no cough and i cant get any mucus/phlegm up. I do get that weakness and the pins and needles feeling through my arms and legs here and there. I get very winded while doing things that normally wouldnt wind me.

My family has allergy problems and my mother has had asthma for her entire life bu t ive never had a problem. I'm in decent shape, 25 and generally very healthy. I do have heartburn but don't really think its connected. Is it possible i could be getting adult asthma? With no other real glaring symptoms is it possible that i could still have an infection in my lungs (pnuemonia/bronchitis).
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Load07
|

replied April 20th, 2009
Hi. I am going through the same thing right now. I have had this asthmatic bronchitis for about 2 months now. I am also 25 years old and never had asthma or bronchitis in my life. I have been to so many doctors and 2 different pulmonologists. Chest x-ray was fine and also had a ct scan that was fine. I was placed on the z-pak which totally helped and made me feel totally normal until I got off of it. I took about 3 z-paks. Then they decided to put me on cipro and steroids for the inflammation of my lungs. My lungs were so inflammed to where I could not get a breath in. I was wheezing really bad. I never wheezed before. So long story short. The cipro did not help. I wanted more antibiotic but the doctor said no due to stating he did not want the antibiotcs to become resistant and just not work anymore. So he just gave me a steroid to take. They gave me pro-air but I did not like that and did not help. I do not like the inhalers and feel like they don't help at all. Overall, they stated it needs to run its course. Now I am feeling some tightness in my chest and its hard to breathe sometimes. But yes to answer your question the infection could still be there. I have done a lot of research on bronchitis and also read that viral bronchitis may take up to 8-12 weeks to heal. Everyone is different so it may not take you as long to heal. This is my first time with this so I know how your feeling. It is definitely scary and you just want to get better. You will get better in time. And it does not mean you have asthma. Let the infection heal.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
Elaina I was told the same thing. My xray and blood work was also fine but I have this sternum pain that is dull and burns. I have a harder time breathing now too...

are you back to normal yet? I tried playing trampoline dodgeball yesterday too and after about 15 minutes my hands and feet started to tingle and I thought I was going to faint....had trouble breathing and it took my over 1.5 hrs to recover....
|

replied February 13th, 2010
I too am having a hard time breathing after a severe sinus infection. I am now seeing an ent and he put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks. i am spitting up green mucous and have been sick with this stuff for 6 weeks. I just want to get better and hope in time I will. The congestion makes it hard to breathe and yet all my asthma tests come back normal. Lungs are fine but just cant rid myself of this mucous.
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
A question
To Elaina711 - I too am experiencing the same this time. I would like to ask, when you said it will heal in time, is it of natural healing without those drugs to be taken?

Thanks

Lheena202
|

replied February 5th, 2013
I went thru this same thing 2 years ago -Had the nebulizer treatment in the E.R., and was prescribed an inhaler, with an antibiotic- however I could NOT afford ANY of it, so I suffer all the tome now from recurrences, BECAUSE of the cost. I also deal with Afib- not cool.
|

replied September 17th, 2013
lungs problem
hello im 25 years old i am having trouble in breathing especially when it comes in deep breath but i don't have any cough what do you thing is my problem? and what kind of medicine should i take? please answer its important
|