Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Chest pains, heavy breathing and fatigue while walking.

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
Hi, I'm 63 yrs old and for the last 5 months I've had chest pains, heavy breathing and fatigue, while doing normal walking or chores around the house, I've had many tests, X-rays, blood tests, EKG, yet they can not find anything wrong with me, the pain is on top of my chest, and just under my sternom, it feels a bit like preasure pain, I get out of breath walking more than 400 yards, I've tried many types of medication for acid and gas, but they have little affect, my doctor has now gave me FAMOTIDINE even though he doesn't know whats wrong with me. Will appreciate any advice, as it's realy starting to get me concerned.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Your doctor is probably treating you for Gastritis or gastric reflux, which is a common cause of chest pain, even in elderly individuals.

Since all your investigations are completely normal, it is likely that you may not have major medical issues. Hence following your doctors suggestions for the time being should help.

In addition, trying to avoid eating high spicy , fat rich foods, which can precipitate your symptoms will help. A healthy diet with lots of vegetables, and fruits should prevent the pain associated with gastritis.

Other issues that cause difficulty with respiration and fatigue can be anemia, and cardiac issues. A echocardiogram should help to confirm that your cardiac functions are within normal.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.