Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Chest pains caused by ulcer

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hello, im new to this forum and hope people can me some real sensible advice.

At 3.50am i was awakened with a reallly bad pain in my chest. I honeslty thought i was having the beginnings of heart trouble. Anyhow, after tests it was determined that the pain was coming from my stomach just below my bone in the middle of my ribs.

The doctor suggested to me it was an ulcer, although i will ned to get it confirmed by my GP. I was given GAVISGON AND LOSAC to relief me from the pain, but im still sore.

I know understand i have to change me lifestyle to repair my stomach which ti be honest is going to be hard for me but i will do it. I dont smoke, but i drink at the weekend and eat all kinds of takeawau foods, chinese, pizza, mcdonalds, kfc etc but i also eat alot of good food.

This has just came as a shock to me and am quite upset by it, sa i didnt realise i was harming my self.

Any advise would be gratfully appreicated!

Kind Reagds
Martin
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Upper abdominal pain located just below the breastbone that wakes up during the sleep is characteristic for peptic ulcer located at the first part of the small intestines, a duodenum.
You may experience abdominal bloating, nausea, retching, and early satiety.
It is a damaged lining of duodenum, as a result of Helicobacter pylori infection, using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen, and the use of cigarettes and alcohol.

Duodenal ulcer is symptomatic before meals or 2 to 4 hours after the meal, when one is hungry, and is eased with food or acid
suppressing meds.
Having citrus juice, coffee, or aspirin trriger the pain from the duodenal ulcer.
About fifty percent of patients with duodenal ulcers awake during the night with pain, usually between midnight and three a.m.

You'll need to get tested for Helicobacter pylori infection (its treatment with antibiotics and acid suppressing drugs will help in healing the ulcer), and endoscopy!

Best wishes!
|
Did you find this post helpful?