Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Chest pain - xiphoid process damaged during stretching?

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
Hello,
I seem to have damaged my xiphoid process while stretching my abs/back. There was a popping sound, and afterward there was pain when I pressed on the bottom of my sternum. It's a dull throbbing, and it hurts whenever I tense my abs or press on the process. I'm a little worried after reading some internet reports... Is there any way I could have punctured my heart when doing this???
Immediate response please!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2012
I doubt that your symptoms have anything to do with your heart, and you did not puncture your heart. Pain from the xiphod process is common and is aggravated by pressure. I discuss xiphodynia briefly on page 46 of my book on chest pain (Chest Pain When and When Not to Worry, Pelican Publishers, Gretna, La, 2009). Don't press on the area and the inflammation should gradually decrease.
Please keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.