Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

chest pain that radiates to the back

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
I am expereiencing chest pain that radiates to the back, but I feel it more in my upper left side of my back. I am 30 year old mom of 1 and I am overweight but not obese, I am 160 lbs, and 5 2', I have had high cholesterol in the past. I am debating wether to go into ER tonight to have things checked out, better safe then sorry. I have never felt this pain for this long. I also have been getting sharp ( kneel over) pain in my left shoulder but it is random and inconsistant. Do you think I should go in tonight, or wait to call a Dr. on Monday. I have also ben very fatguie and not able to lift or do much like normal. Please help! Thank you,

Bonnie

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2010
Chest Pain Answer A17607
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Since you have pain in the chest radiating to back and shoulder, please go to the ER to rule out heart attack or angina. A 12 lead EKG would be done and if need be ECHO, angiography etc. Other than that a similar pain can be caused by gastric ulcer, gastric reflux, spleenic abscess, and pancreatitis.

However, it is important to rule out heart attack and angina. Go to the ER. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.