Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

chest pain goes in my back and radiates into throat and jaw

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
I am having chest pain that goes into my back and radiates into my throat and jaw area,also it feels like there is a weight on my chest at the top of my chest bone. I have had an ECG which 1 doctor said he was concerned about because of my age, 52yrs female, another doctor said i had an extra heart beat when i had a stress test, another doctor said my ECG was seemed fine when i went for a stress test at nuclear medicine i am waiting for results from my heart scan. I am confused as to what can be wrong especially as 3 different doctors have said different to the ECG's i have had. I am thinking all things that could be wrong. when i went to A&E i had blood tests and a doctor there said the blood results showed i may have Angina i was given a GTN spray, the next time i went i was told the blood test was ok i am so confused as to what it could be....
regards marg

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2011
Chest Pain Answer A29004
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the classic squeezing chest pain with radiation to throat and jaw area and there is possibility of angina being one of the reasons for the same. Other causes of chest pain that need to be ruled out include esophageal spasm and reflux, gallstones, pleuritis, pericarditis, costochondritis and nerve compression etc.
ECG can help in screening for angina but sometimes ECG can be normal and then is the time to go for stress ECG(treadmill test).
The occurrence of chest pain during exercise can be correlated with changes on the EKG, which demonstrates the lack of oxygen to the heart muscle.
When the patient rests, the angina and the changes on the EKG which indicate lack of oxygen to the heart can both disappear. The accuracy of exercise stress tests in the diagnosis of significant coronary artery disease is 60% to 70%.
If the exercise stress test does not show signs of coronary artery disease, a nuclear agent (thallium) can be given intravenously during exercise stress test. The addition of thallium allows nuclear imaging of blood flow to different regions of the heart, using an external camera. A reduced blood flow in an area of the heart during exercise, with normal blood flow to the area at rest, signifies significant artery narrowing in that region of the heart.
Stress echocardiography and thallium stress tests are both about 80% to 85% accurate in detecting significant coronary artery disease.
Cardiac catheterization with angiography (coronary arteriography) is a technique that allows x-ray pictures to be taken of the coronary arteries. It is the most accurate test to detect coronary artery narrowing.
I sincerely hope that you now get a fair idea about the appproach to chest pain and you can continue follow up with your cardiologist for definitive diagnosis and management as the same is not possible online.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.