Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Chest pain and high blood pressure

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
i have been getting mild chest pain its in the center and left side it feels like a stitch at times on the left but crushing like someone is staning on my breast bone when in the center i have also been getting short of breath more easily last couple of weeks i had an ECG at my local gp which seamed ok i also had blood pressure took it was 159 over 125 they said this was high and to come back next week how high is this and should i be worried as chest pain might be mildish but is becoming more frequent. thanks all ben.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Did you usually experience chest pain after some exertion?
How long does the pain last?
What helps for the pain to subside?

Having systolic blood pressure of 159 is a case of mild hypertension, but, diastolic blood pressure of 125 is severe hypertension.
Diastolic numbers are more important to be decreased, cause they indicate more serious risks for organs diseases.
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: anida 

replied November 3rd, 2008
no never really had the pain before it only lasts a few minutes at a time and nothing really it comes and goes as quick on its own.
|

replied November 4th, 2008
really confused still getting pain as well as headaches and light headed spells i had my bp checked at local walk in center today and it was much different at with a higher top number lower bottem one 172 over 105 with a pulse of over 90 is this better or worse i dont want to waste a&e time as pain is mild but worried and not sure if i should be waiting untill next mondays asppointment with gp. any help insight or advice would be fantastic thanks again all.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Chest pain accompanied by breathlessness, and in some cases with sweating and nausea, is known as angina pectoris.
It usually lasts for about 1 to 5 minute, and is relieved with rest in most of the cases (precipitated by exertion or emotional stress, or, exacerbated by having a full stomach and by cold temperatures).
This pain is due to a lack of blood and hence oxygen supply of the heart muscle, when the heart blood vessels are blocked or narrowed with spasm.
ECG is usually normal in angina patients who are tested when not feeling any chest pain.
Cigarette smoking, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sedentary lifestyle and family history of premature heart disease, are major risks for angina.
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: ben84 

MandMs wrote:
Chest pain accompanied by breathlessness, and in some cases with sweating and nausea, is known as angina pectoris.
It usually lasts for about 1 to 5 minute, and is relieved with rest in most of the cases (precipitated by exertion or emotional stress, or, exacerbated by having a full stomach and by cold temperatures).
This pain is due to a lack of blood and hence oxygen supply of the heart muscle, when the heart blood vessels are blocked or narrowed with spasm.
ECG is usually normal in angina patients who are tested when not feeling any chest pain.
Cigarette smoking, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sedentary lifestyle and family history of premature heart disease, are major risks for angina.

how do i treat this or will it just go away once i get pills for my bp? my dad does have heart problems and had a vauvle put in at 25 he is 50 now.
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
High blood pressure increases the heart's workload, and over time, this can cause the heart muscle to thicken.
As the heart pumps against elevated pressure in the blood vessels, the left ventricle becomes enlarged and the amount of blood pumped by the heart each minute goes down.
So, the heart muscle needs more oxygen cause works extra work, and, on the other side the blood output from heart decreases.
You'll have situation when your heart muscle lack blood oxygen and the symptoms of angina pectoris will develop.
High blood pressure also contributes to thickening of the blood vessel walls, aggravating possible atherosclerosis (cholesterol deposits in the blood vessels).
Controlling your blood pressure will be helpful.
But, you need to be checked for other risk factors, too(for ex.high cholesterol levels in your blood)

Best wishes, ben84!
Marija
|

replied November 17th, 2008
ok last week i had some blood tests done i also had a chest x ray done i called up my doctors today for the results i was told they have not been checked by a doctor yet but all seems clear and ok so what will happen next i have been put on medication for my high blood pressure called amplodipine been on these for two weeks and my bp has come own it is now on average 150 over 98. chest pains are less frequent but still there have been given a gtn spray but have not yet had to use it. still getting headaches and dizzy spells but gp seems to not be worried about this. any ideas?.
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Dizzy spells and headaches, especially, morning ones, are symptoms of hypertension.
Your blood pressure is still high.
Doctor usually asks the patient to take the blood pressure medicine for a month and checks the blood pressure after that.
Not everyone finds the right tablet straight away and you may need to try several or combination of them, until you find one that works and regulates your blood pressure.
Don't forget the life-style changes!
|

replied June 15th, 2012
my have high blood pressure, and pain in right side of chest?
gita
|

replied October 12th, 2013
High blood pressure?
I am 42 female a little over weight .but for the last week my blood pressure has been(140/97,150/102,157/100,133/102,135/98 ,151/104,151/108)with headaches ,chest pain as well as swelling in the legs with pain. Should. I worry?
|