Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Chest pain after quitting

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi, I quit smoking cold turkey 5 days ago (Thursday). Friday afternoon I started getting a dull pain in my left side of my back, then it moved to my left chest. It does not hurt when I breath, dance, take a very deep breath or anything like that... but it is very painful if I sneeze or do crunches. (Have no cough and I smoked 4 to 5 a day.) Does anyone know what this is?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper J3nnyuk
|

replied January 12th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi well how old are you? how long you smoked for?
|

I'm 33. I started smoking when I was 18, quit for a year when I was 28... smoked ever since then but not heavy.
|

replied September 15th, 2013
check info at http://www.drugs.com/sfx/champix-side-effe cts.html "Cardiovascular side effects have included angina pectoris, arrhythmia, bradycardia, ventricular extrasystoles, myocardial infarction, palpitations, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, cardiac flutter, coronary artery disease, cor pulmonale, abnormal electrocardiogram, acute coronary syndrome, hypertension, hypotension, peripheral ischemia, and thrombosis."
|

Extremely eHealthy
hey ok, am no expert or anything but i have just recently given up smoking i am 23 and smoked since i was 13 i used to smoke 15-20 a day, and when i first quit (1 week into) i started having uncomfortable pains in my chest and like most woman i panicked i thought i was dying lol, seriously this lasted for about 2 weeks not continually but on/off, my doctor said it was because my lung were adjusting to no nicotine and they were starting to expand better sounds like that could be what is happening with you! hope i helped jenny
|

Cool, thanks Jenny. I figured it was something normal. Ill go to the doctor if it last more than 2 weeks or gets worse.
|

Extremely eHealthy
good good glad i could help Smile
|

replied February 21st, 2013
This post helped me. I smoked for 35 years and quit 15 days ago. I am using the patch and it is going very well. I too though, have had some discomfort in my chest and thought it was more oxygen than my body has had in allot of years. Researching, I found this reply. Thanks so much
|

replied March 3rd, 2013
Drug Rehab in Florida
I agree to j3nnyuk. Good one. Its absolutely ok to have such things after you quit smoking as your body is adjusting to no smoking. So wait and see you will be perfectly ok.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2013
I have been weening off, down to 2 cigarettes a day, full stop on Saturday ... I too have been having chest pains, tightness ... glad to know its normal! Thanks for posting!
|

replied September 17th, 2013
Its a good thing you want to quit smoke but first thing always keep in mind that if you are an addicted smoker then you have to quit slowly because our body could not except frequent change as result damaged results happened.
|

replied September 20th, 2013
Experienced User
You do not stop smoking as early, this may be the cause of your chest pain. So you smoke but not as more, and slowly slowly you stop smoking.
|

replied October 30th, 2013
I am 35yr old male. Quit smoking 3months ago. Am experiencing pain in chest radiating across left shoulder and arm with tingling sensation. Not coughing at all.Also experiencing pressure in head at different times of day. Anyone else experienced this before?? Doctor reckons its a nerve in my neck and just the way I am sitting at my desk at work ..was not helpful at all
|