Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

chest Burns when breath in cold air

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
Chest hurts when breathing in cold air. Had an e.k.g bout a month ago along with some blood work and everything. Doctor didn't find anything however; I have been diagnosed with asthma since I was 12yrs old. I am now 31. These symptoms are new to me and affect me most when it's cold
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

Yes, it is very common for patients with asthma or with reactive airway disease to have increased symptoms when exposed to cold environment. This is due to the fact that exposure to cold air, results in bronchoconstriction (decrease in diameter of airways), which can present as bouts of cough, breathing difficulty, etc.

You should do your best to avoid colds and other respiratory infections. Learning to breathe through your nose to warm air before it goes into your lungs, will help prevent coughing when exposed to cold air. If the weather is cold, exercise indoors or wear a mask or scarf over your nose and mouth.‎

In addition, you can consult your doctor or a pulmonologist who can prescribe you bronchodilator inhalers (albuterol) which may help to control the bronchoconstriction related symptoms.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.