Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Chemotherapy for Multiple Sclerosis

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
User Profile
Hello,

My brother in law was diagnosed with MS 4 years ago, he has had 6 attacks since then, and the last 2 were this jan 2009 and may 2009. For his attacks he gets treated at the hospital with corticoids. He did not recover well from his last attack and will be submitted to the hospital again today. (June) He is currently on Interferon, but it seems it is not working. They are considering quimotherapy for him, in your opinion is this the right course of action, is there anything between interferon and quimotherapy? Where in the US are the best doctors for MS?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2009
Supporter
Hi and welcome to the forum..I have a friend who has Lupus and the next step for her will be Chemo..Hard thing to deal with..The body is attacking itself and then you add chemo. that destroys- with the hopes it will stop the attack..At some point you go please let something work..I am on Methotrexate another form of excessive need to try to stop the body attacking itself..We each do what we have to and pray it works..
I know here in Ky we have a facility that is for full rehab..it has helped many people..Unfortuantgely though like all autoimmune diseases-MS will wax and wane...Best bet will be to go online and research and go from there..Honestly there is no easy answer..I hope whatever he decides to do that it works for him..
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
ms and chemo
My husband was on betaseron for 5 years with no real results, he did chemo treatments once every 3 months for a year. The result was amazing, he's walking better and shaking alot less and was able to go on copaxone.
|

replied May 29th, 2011
Hi thats great news... gives me a lighter outlook on the chemo treatment. My sister was diagnosed 2 years ago with RRMS she has been on rebif , tysabri and copaxone.. her Dr. now suggested the chemo drug cytoxan. Is this the chemo treatment your husband received. Please feel free to contact me. Thank you all the best to your husband stay strong
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
Moreno that is great to know..Will elt my friend know as well..
|

replied February 12th, 2012
Chemo and MS
I live in Canada and to get Chemo treatment is a nightmare!!!!! There is one clinic in my city and because I am still employed they will not even consider me. Then the other day I go see my nero and he proceeds to tell me that not only do I have RRMS I might also have Lopus. The tests he did should come back this week so heres hoping. Ive done tons of research on Chemo and I truly believe that it is the only thing that could save my life at this point. Ive tried everything on the market and nothing has worked. I average about one new lesion a year. I really hope this treatment becomes more widely accepted and used. God bless everyone who is going through what I am!
|

replied February 12th, 2012
I feel for your brother, and wish you all the best in your recovery-
I would like to suggest a different approach to MS other than chemo. Chemo is an added stress to an already weakened body that will most likely make matters worse.
Muscles respond to chemical and electrical impulses, and when given the right nutrition will respond fairly quickly. What they need is too much to outline in a forum, but I suggest this eBook from Amazon

Here is an except for you-
So the main issues with multiple sclerosis that we are going to address will include,
1. Calcium deposits on the brain and spinal cord,
2. The restoration of the myelin sheath surrounding nerves, and
3. Chromosomal disorders.
VITAMIN E
Interestingly enough, a lack of vitamin E is involved with 2 of the 3 main issues identified with multiple sclerosis; calcium deposits, and chromosomal disorders… Vitamin E helps to prevent the oxidation of these fatty acids; therefore helping to maintain the structural integrity, including chromosomal development within these muscle cells.
Vitamin E also decreases the cells need for oxygen throughout the body, and it supports the red blood cells in their job to deliver it. By improving the oxygen use and delivery throughout the cells, this will safeguard and improve damaged, weakened and scarred tissues even when scarring has already taken place.
CALCIUM DEPOSITS
… Stress will also allow bones to be robbed of calcium. Once this calcium is taken out of the bones, it loses something that allows it to flow freely through the blood...
.. Since it is collagen that holds skin cells together; taking vitamin C and all the B vitamin will support the adrenal glands in producing more of it in order to address this issue.
While it would seem counterproductive to take calcium when the patient has calcium deposits; taking calcium and magnesium together would allow the calcium to be utilized properly; and to be stored in the bones where it belongs, and not on the brain and spinal cord….
Supplementing with calcium and magnesium will also help to prevent it from being taken back out of the bones, and has been known to reduce calcium deposits in the soft tissues of muscles in numerous studies, and deserves another closer look with more research.
There is ample evidence that shows how calcium is better utilized and stored when it is taken with half as much magnesium. So a calcium diet that consists of 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium, for a total of 2 to 3 grams per day, will allow the body to store and use calcium more effectively…
Best of luck- I beleive you will find this eBook frmo Amazon most helpful.
|