Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Characteristic symptoms of IBS

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I was diagnosed 3 months ago with IBS after complaining to my doctor about severe stomach cramps (almost like mild birth contractions) when needing to pass wind and whilst passing stools. I suffered with loose stools and constipation (sometimes within the same day) I was given Meberevine to take before each meal. I asked my Pharmacist if I had to take them indefinitely, he told me I should try to see what caused my symptoms. After looking up main causes online I cut out wheat (thinking it could be a wheat intolerance). My cramps have gone, I pass little wind now but I'm suffering with constipation. Does this mean it's not a wheat intolerance? I had some bread a few days ago and that evening I got the severe contraction-like pains, followed by loose stools the next day, which makes me feel it is, but I'm not sure. Thank you in advance :)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A12529
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is a condition which is characterized by chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits in the absence of any detectable organic cause. Diarrhea or constipation may predominate. Several conditions may present themselves as IBS including celiac disease, Fructose malabsorption, mild infections, parasitic infections like giardiasis, several inflammatory bowel diseases, functional chronic constipation, and chronic functional abdominal pain. So the diagnosis of IBS is based on excluding these medical conditions. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder of the small intestine that occurs in genetically predisposed people of all ages from middle infancy onward as a result of an allergic reaction towards the gliadin which can be found in gluten and similar proteins found in wheat and other crops. It is characterized with pale, voluminous and malodorous diarrhoic stools, abdominal pain and cramping, bloatedness with abdominal distension, weight loss, anemia, calcium deficiency and coagulation disorder. It is diagnosed with a serological blood exam, colonoscopy and biopsy.

According to the data that you described, you were diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. You may continue avoiding the intake of wheat to reduce the IBS symptoms. Increase the intake of dietary fiber which can be found in vegetables and fruit to avoid constipation. You may consider having serological blood test to rule out possible celiac diasease.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.