Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Chantix and Suboxone

Does anyone have experience taking Chantix while on Suboxone?
I would love to know of your experience.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Stacey
I have been on Suboxone for a little over 3 years now and have been taking Chantix for a week and a half. Actually came across this post looking for more answers. The only problems I have had are the stomach sickness(nausea). And I find that breaking the dose down from 2 (1mg) pills per day to 4 pills per day (cut in half so .05 mg) along with eating about 30-60 minutes before my dose keeps that at bay. I do think that Chantix is effecting my Suboxone. But not in a bad way. I have been on 21 mg per day and really want to stop but so far have not had the will to go through the withdrawals and i have tried several times. It's not that they are very bad, it just takes a while for the Subox to be out of your system. I tested today to see if it effects me and have not taken any Suboxone yet where I normally would have had my second dose by now and I feel fine. I am no Doctor and everyone is different but I think both drugs are good compared to the alternatives. And I could be wrong about it effecting Suboxone. I am just hoping I am not so I can stop both. My Doc says he has had great success with the patients who have tried Chantix to quit smoking. These are all patients who probably take Suboxone. I do have vivid dreams but nothing scary, just detailed. I actually enjoy that side effect. If you do end up taking it drink allot of fluid before your dose. Let your food somewhat digest, keep candy or gum, crackers, ginger ale, anything that will help you with the nausea and the smoking itself. Chantix is working because I can't stand to smell smoke anymore. Smoking has become gross, even some foods taste horrid. If you really want to quit it helps tremendously.
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Chantix & Suboxone
Ive been talking Subs for several months now, and just started Chantix yesterday. I think that the Chantix is giving me stomach aches because of the combination (Subs/Chantix). Is anyone else experiencing this, or is this common, or does anyone have any advice in regards to this issue?
All help is appreciated!!
Thank you!!
|

replied May 17th, 2010
jaayznuutz wrote:
Ive been talking Subs for several months now, and just started Chantix yesterday. I think that the Chantix is giving me stomach aches because of the combination (Subs/Chantix). Is anyone else experiencing this, or is this common, or does anyone have any advice in regards to this issue?
All help is appreciated!!
Thank you!!

Champix has been associated with 165 different side effects and has more adverse reaction reports than the top 10 most prescribed drugs. Shocked If stomach aches are the only side effect that you get consider yourself VERY lucky.
|

replied May 30th, 2010
well, i said in my post on page 5 that there would be a lawsuits filed on this drug and sure enough, about a week ago i saw the 'if u or a loved one has experienced suicidal thoughts, severe depression, or has died while taking chantix pls call this nbr' tv ad....i hope pfizer pays dearly

I started Nicotrol march 7, 2007 and have not had the 1st craving for a cigarette yet...i'm off the nicotrol now (i smoked for 31 years 2 sometimes 3 packs a day) so i allowed myself 3 '12-week' boxes that lasted me nearly 3 years..it's that good...i'm happy to say i am ineligible for monetary compensation due to any 'psychosis'
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
Chantix day1
I started chantix today....and plan to update from now on, coz I could not really find many posts being updated day by day on experience of chantix...
Started this morning, feel nothing out of ordinary....still smoking and enjoying my last few days, so chantix still has not taken away my liking to ciggies...
well....that should be different in few days...I hope.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2010
I don't _think_ there should be any crossover effect from taking both, as they appear to affect different area's of the brain (sub = mu and kappa opiate receptors from memory, and chan = nic receptors) but on further "research" there may be some liver metabolism competition.. sub is a strong inhibitor of the cyp2d6 pathway which could cause an increase in chantix concentrations in the bloodstream (ie: it would be as if you took a higher dose of chant).

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a scientist... just a guy trying to help.
|

replied July 19th, 2010
My experience with Chantix and Suboxone
I have been taking Suboxone for about 4 yrs and I'm in the 4th month of the Chantix. The medicines don't seem to interact with each other. the Cahantix just gives me a LOT of nausea. You must eat with it! I know someone else that takes Chantix but has never taken Suboxone and it upsets her stomach as well. The Chantix works but you have to want to stop smoking. If you really don't want to stop you won't.
|
Quick Reply