Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Champix side effects (Page 1)

My father and my family have become recent victims of the rare but severe adverse reactions linked to Champix in which my father had accidentally taken his own life during what appeared to be a major “psychotic event”. He had been drinking in combination with taking Champix which appears to have resulted in hanging himself in the garden shed. I had spoken to him only hours before and he was his usual happy self, just settling in for the night to watch some TV and have a few drinks. He was a contented happy man with everything going for him and everything to live for. He was happily married and had recently become a grandfather and was about to become one for the second time. With no financial worries and his working life nearing an end he was positively looking forward to his twilight years of watching his grand kids grow up and share his retirement with my mother, family and his wide circle of friends.

He had began taking Champix in early February and had reported to the family that he had suffered from some of the more common side-effects including vomiting, headaches and disturbed sleeping but did not elaborate on why he thought his sleep had been effected. On the 23rd of March 2008 his body was discovered by my brother at the family home. There was no note and there appears to have been no premeditation to the events. The authorities so far are treating his death as a “terrible accident” in which they believe there was no intent to end his life. In my opinion with the evidence that has been explained to me, he appears to have behaved completely out of character including damaging our home in a way that would be totally alien to my father given the pride he had in his home.

In my mind there is no doubt that these pills, which are designed to mimic the “high” from smoking by releasing dopamine which effects behaviour, had a huge part to play in my father’s premature death.

I implore people who are thinking of or actually taking this drug to inform your family, friends or those closest to you to keep an eye out for unusual behaviour. This has cost my family dearly because we didn't know about the potential for side effects such as this which was excluded from the packing information.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper scruff669
|
Users who thank markh1979 for this post: bruich  dpc1892  jim7777777  jennyag  HOBOJO 

replied May 6th, 2008
Experienced User
Hi Mark,

I am really sorry to hear about your father. No one should have to die to quit smoking.

What you are bringing up is a very serious matter. More and more people are coming forward with serious side effects from using Chantix.

We all have to remember that it is still a fairly new drug. It only came out in 2006.

There was a famous musician that went on a rage rampage a while back while on Chantix. You might have heard about it. He was the guitar player for the New Bohemians. He was drinking and went into a fit of rage and ended up getting killed.

I'm not bringing this up to prove that Chantix has some serious nasty side effects, because he was also drinking, so there was probably a combination going on, but after that incident did happen, there was a website set up for people that may also have had adverse reactions to the drug.

Within one week, there were 55 reports that people had commited suicide while taking this drug and many many more cam forward talking about having suicidal thoughts and either extreme depression and or uncontrollable rage.

Phizer says there are 6 major side effects to the meds, but they have a list where there are actually 164 side effects people have experienced while on the drug.

Everything from vomiting, to nosebleeds, to arthritis, to liver damage, to depression, rage, etc.

A lot of people have used Chantix without these side effects. that's great. The part that isn't great are the people that are experiencing these side effects.

See, here is the problem. The 6 major side effects that people experienced when taking the drug, were done in studies. Controlled studies.

This means that people with high blood pressure, low blood pressure, heart disease, over weight, under weight, depression, etc. weren't allowed to particpate in the studies.

So guess what happens when Chantix was released to the general population? All these people that were omitted from being able to partcipate in the controlled studies, essentially became guinea pigs for this drug.

This is why now, there are more and more people experiencing symptoms than before.

The FDA released a suicide warning video recently on Chantix and it was mysteriously removed almost as fast as it was aired.

Personally, I take serious issue with the pharmaceutical industry as they instill fear into people trying to quit smoking and I especially take issue with Phizer for rushing out a drug like this, so that they can profit.

Again, I am sorry about your father. No one should have to die to quit smoking and up until Chantix, no one did.

I don't come by here often, but if you're trying to get the message out there on this information. I have access to quite a bit information on Chantix and the FDA video.

You can send me a private message and I'll get back here and respond.

Take care

Eric
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied May 29th, 2011
I have been on Champix now for four weeks, at first it wasnt too bad, mostly just nausea but found eating with the tablet helped ease this. I have the usual dreams etc but last week the big problems started. Got up in the morning and the migraine hit me, was in bed for 2 days. Continued to have a headache and sore neck for the following week then bam exactly a week later and another migrane. This one only lasted a day but i still have a sore head 2 days later. I also am having terrible trouble with my memory, short term mostly. Was at work and serving a customer and forgot how to do it. Have had bursts of anger and rage, and on occasion such strong feelings of hatred for my partner (who i actually love dearly) that i have wanted to leave him. Tonight i actually told him i was worthless and there was no point in me being here, i am scared, i dont want to hurt myself but what if i cant wean myself off these stupid tablets in time.....i have 2 girls who need me and it would kill my family. I am ok i think, but u never know. Also i am hot all the time and i think my eyes are playing up. PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS MEDICATION
|

replied July 10th, 2011
Hi, It's great that people are trying to quit, but not when it's dangerous. I started taking champix(chantix)approx a week ago and within 3-4 days I started to develop what I thought was a cold sore, I now have five huge sore/blister looking things on my bottom lip(very attractive!) Even my family have noticed the difference in me, just feeling awful! But don't hesitate to just stop taking them, I have....I phoned the 24 quit line that my GP suggested, 13 QUIT,and they had alot of info but basically they told me to just stop taking them until I get back in to see my GP, then make a decision, or try other options, they may take abit of work and abit longer before you will be a non-smoker....But at least you'll be ALIVE. Hope this helps, I just wanted to let u know that I too have ceased taking them and u can too. You don't have to 'wean' off them though.......At the end off the day your girls need u, have a smoke if u have to, don't beat yourself about it, so long as your heading in the RIGHT direction. Good Luck!!!!
|

replied July 14th, 2011
I have just jumped on the net to do a bit of research and i'm so glad i have seen this post. This is day 5 for me on champix, and today, roughly lunch time, i started to feel a ulcer type thing growing on my inside bottom lip. I looked at it in the mirror at aprox 3pm, and then again now, at 5pm, and i looks (and feels) so much worse! I wasnt sure if this was a side effect of champix, or just a coincidence. But it looks like a big clear bubble.
|

replied July 10th, 2011
Hi, It's great that people are trying to quit, but not when it's dangerous. I started taking champix(chantix)approx a week ago and within 3-4 days I started to develop what I thought was a cold sore, I now have five huge sore/blister looking things on my bottom lip(very attractive!) Even my family have noticed the difference in me, just feeling like s***! But don't hesitate to just stop taking them, I have....I phoned the 24 quit line that my GP suggested, 13 QUIT,and they had alot of info but basically they told me to just stop taking them until I get back in to see my GP, then make a decision, or try other options, they may take abit of work and abit longer before you will be a non-smoker....But at least you'll be ALIVE. Hope this helps, I just wanted to let u know that I too have ceased taking them and u can too. You don't have to 'wean' off them though.......At the end off the day your girls need u, have a smoke if u have to, don't beat yourself about it, so long as your heading in the RIGHT direction. Good Luck!!!!
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Me too!
I just started the Champix a few days ago and the second day I was reserved and withdrawn to the point that my partner immediately noticed. The third day I was convinced that he and our two children hated me and didn't want me in their lives. The fourth day I couldn't get out of bed and absolutely hated everything about myself, wanted to leave my family and, briefly, considered killing myself. But when that happened I knew it had to be the pills, so I talked to my boyfriend, who stayed with me all night and reassured me and watched over me. That was last night. I didn't take the pill this morning and I won't be taking any more. I don't drink, so alcohol didn't have anything to do with it, it was entirely the pills. I know they're still in my system because I haven't wanted a cigarette today, but they've got to be making their way out by now. This is terrifying.
|

replied September 6th, 2012
Gosh this sounds so much like what I am currently experiencing at day 11 on Champix... I too have had two migraines exactly a week apart (the second one being today). While I am prone to migraines, these ones don't feel the same. Also the nausea is terrible and constant, I would like to find a natural way to combat this! I hear a lot about mood swings and aggression etc but this is one thing I don't (yet) have an issue with, in fact I feel sedated as if I'm on Valium and find it difficult to feel anything emotional at all.
|

replied June 8th, 2011
Hi Eric
I have just started champix on my 2nd week when i had my first pill on my first week i felt real sick and the same happend when i had my first pill on my 2nd week. iv just started looking up about it now want to stop it not sure what to do i have chrohns disease too an have been thru heaps with that if you dont no what that is its a bowel imflamertry disease. i was on sleeping pills before i started champix cause i could sleep anyway is champix an chantix the same. i read about the grandad killing him self witch i must say i'm so sorry to hear that i'm going to do more resurch about both of the medications an see what else they have not told us

thanks
tracey blonde
|

replied July 10th, 2011
Yes, Champix and Chantix are the same drug. I have just stoped taking Champix after almost 2 weeks, now i strongly suggest that you call the quit line just to check the effects of it with chrons disease, i think that if somthing is doing you damage then get rid of it, im sure the pharmacuticles are just using us to make millions...Good Luck
|

replied June 24th, 2011
my daughter in law recently committed suicide and was taken champix for 2 weeks,also hanged herself,
too awful for words,
abey 32
|

replied June 30th, 2011
My partner has been taking champix and is experiencing similar side effects to phegasys interferon treatment but far worse, he is becoming violent angry behaving irratically- he just spoke to a drug and alcohol councellor who straight out said " did your doctor warn you" - well NO !!! This drug is dangerous as you can clearly read - a side effect described by another guy that took it is " bug eyes" feeling - bulging eyes.
|

replied August 12th, 2011
My god!! I can't believe all the awful stories about champix- I'm now on day 9- I have vivid dreams, headache, nausea, and stomach discomfort but nothing I can't cope with. I suppose I was lucky with the information my doctor gave me and I had to fight to get these drugs as I've tried many other things to stop smoking before. The fight was because in 2007 I suffered a nervous breakdown, I had severe depression and anxiety and was on medication up until May this year- even had to take depression medication through my third pregnancy and I have received alot of councelling and 'tools' to help me cope with my illness. I asked all my friends and family to keep a close eye on me whilst on this drug and so far no difference. I decided not to drink whilst on this drug too as I'm more scared of being depressed again. I'll certainly be monitoring myself closely!!
|

replied October 6th, 2011
I took champix last year but ended up having that one a day [which tasted terrible]. Smoking 40 a day for 40 years, have emphysema. I know people who cant take them, really sick or headaches, etc. Just started them again and i think they amazing, they work on the brain and that was where i needed it cos most of them i really didn't want,,just habit. This time i wont have that one. You must eat when u take one,, for nausea,, for couple of weeks last time i either couldn't wake up or i couldn' go to sleep. I am also on high dose of antidepressant, and after couple weeks all these things go away if you persist. Not if severe though. I also drink daily,,, sorry doctors.
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Hello
I do not take Champix but my brother have been on Champix and had succeedeed to quit smoking. However, 6 months after taking the last pill of Champix, he seems in great trouble about his emotion. He already spoke twice to my mum and I about suicide. His mood is sometimes good and sometimes bad and my mum and I really did not understand untill we saw the side effect of champix displayed in the newspaper.
Can someone help me about the fact that my brohter is still alive but suffer from emotional disorder ? Is it due to champix (altough he stopped 6 months ago the treatment) or due to something else ? If it is due to champix, is there anything to contrebalance this very nasty side effect?
Thank you very much in advance for any help !
|

replied December 9th, 2011
Hi. I tried champix along with my wife two years ago, she managed to stop smoking and hasnt touched a cigarette for two years, I gave in to that one smoke and lost the plot. I am now on Champix again and havent had a smoke in 5 weeks, I have found it easier this time round, I had the nausea, vivid dreams etc, the side affects I am syffering at the moment are continual ringing in the ears especially first think when I wake up, I am tired all the time but sleep soundly when I do, I am not suicidal or moody, but I do seem to be suffering a lot of pain through out my body, If this dosent work then I think Im doomed as patches and will power are useless for me, so far so good, but I do miss the simple pleasure of a smoke Smile
|

replied December 9th, 2011
Hi. I tried champix along with my wife two years ago, she managed to stop smoking and hasnt touched a cigarette for two years, I gave in to that one smoke and lost the plot. I am now on Champix again and havent had a smoke in 5 weeks, I have found it easier this time round, I had the nausea, vivid dreams etc, the side affects I am syffering at the moment are continual ringing in the ears especially first think when I wake up, I am tired all the time but sleep soundly when I do, I am not suicidal or moody, but I do seem to be suffering a lot of pain through out my body, If this dosent work then I think Im doomed as patches and will power are useless for me, so far so good, but I do miss the simple pleasure of a smoke Smile
|

replied September 17th, 2012
i had taken champix over 1 1/2years ago and have had poor health ever since, i suffer constantly with mouth ulcers the only time i have a break is when consultant puts me on steroids the only good thing about champix it did work but the cost was very high
|

replied October 20th, 2012
Chantix and the FDA video
Hi Eric I am on this Drug and would like to see what you have to share about it as the are some of the side effects that are already showing in me, such as sleeping problems, pains in my lower right side, Some times I feel nauseous and like i want to vomit and bouts where I feel very low.

Stephen
|

replied November 4th, 2012
strongly advise to stay away
hi i have recently had a terrible unexplainable experience that resulted in having to be in hospital as what i beleave was a result of taking champix i would advise people to stay away from it even though it does not effect everyone as it didnt with my patner it did a great deal with myself and i would not want to take the chance if i could go back i would rather still be smoking
|

replied November 11th, 2012
Smoking vs Champix
Hi I am in my early 20s and I decided to try champix to try and give up smoking I hadnt thought much of it as i had not been aware of the side effects of this drug but i started to get moody and angry which is not like me as i am a fun and bubbly, caring sort, i had also asked my GP if it was ok to drink alchol while in this drug was advised that is was ok.
Week six
I had a few drinks with some friends and my partner and then every thing changed I got angre and caused and arguement with my partner( which I have absolutly no recolection of this or from when I ate dinner to when this horrible event took place )and then later on during this argument I went to the kitchen picked up a large kitchen knife and stabbed myself as a result of this I have had part of my liver and gall bladder removed and i have done damage to veins and arteries and a scare that goes from my sternum to my belly button. I have NEVER had any intentions of self harm or commiting suicide EVER before in my life. I would like to warn every one to stay away from this drug as I would rather have died from smoking in an older age than to have died from champix in my early 20s.
|

replied November 13th, 2012
Did my 12 week course without much of any side effects, little stomach pains and some crazy dreams from time to time, 2 weeks clean off then.

This weekend just passed is similar to the events to what happened to you. I can be fun and bubbly most times and a very caring sort of person. I went to London for the weekend with my Girlfriend and her parents and some family members. We had some drinks in the afternoon, came back to our hotel got ready to go out for the night. What happened on this evening was totally out of character for me has i alienated them to a point were i made a complete fool of myself and i dont know way. Her family are great people so why would i do something like this. I've been told even after you have completed the course of Champix you can get severe side effects and get very depressed. I can only assume this is what happened to me. My relationship is just about over. Not sure what to do now.
|

replied June 28th, 2008
Thank you Eric,

I am aware of the airing and posting of the FDA video, It's amazing the power that these big pharma companies have over their own regulators. I have researched this product heavily as I am a scientist working within drug discovery and find a frightening indication of the problems associated with Pfizers Champix (Chantix). At some point these frightening accounts of serious side effects will cause a lack of confidence in their product and the medical profesion will follow suit, at least the ones that like to continue with their oath of helping people. Unfortunately Pfizer will always have the ability to say that quitting smoking alone can cause behavioral alterations.

Unfortunately for me and my family this will of course be too late. But if I can help to force change in the monitoring and the control of the over-prescription of this drug, it will go some way towards satisfaction at our end.

Any info that you have please feel free to contact me through pm.

Best Regards

Mark
|

replied January 29th, 2009
I'm very sorry for your loss. However Chantix was a MAJOR lifesaver for me and my husband both. We both took Chantix for a month and have been non-smokers for 4 months now. After 3 days the nicotine is completely out of your system and it's totally a psychological "battle" after that. If you understand it and know yourself you're truly home-free after the initial 3 days. People read stories like this and use it as an excuse to go back to smoking after having quit. That makes me sad. There's too many things that could've been at work in your father's case that we don't know about. Not to mention it's common knowledge you're NOT supposed to drink or use any other meds while taking Chantix.
|

replied February 13th, 2009
I'm so sorry for your loss it's shocking and so so sad.

I have just googled champix side effects never expecting to find anything as terrible as this.

I have stopped smoking with champix, they worked brilliantly and did what they were supposed to, i had mild nausea and vivid dreams which were no problem at all.

On my fourth week i suddenly stopped sleeping properly, was waking up filled with adrenalin, i began having panic attacks and serious mood swings, i became paranoid and jealous and accused my partner of all sorts of wrong doings none of which existed.

After a week of this behaviour i stopped taking the tablets and after a couple of days i began to return to normal. It has now been two weeks since i stopped taking them and i'm still having strange episodes of paranoia and my relationship has suffered greatly.

I don't recommend these tablets at all.

I agree that the research wasn't adequate and all users of this drug are now the guinea pigs.

I know my experience cannot compare to your loss but nevertheless it has changed my life for the worse and unnecessarily.

My sincerest best wishes to you and your family.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
I began taking champix in january 2009 and at the beginning I felt great and it was extremely easy to stop smoking...I havent had a smoke now for nearly 8 weeks.

However, I started having major mood swings, feeling depressed and becoming quite violent...I have had 2 episodes now - 1 where I have smashed a plate, and another where I have punched a hole in the wall.....I have NEVER been a violent person in my life.

I visited my doctor and he advised I go off these tablets and come back and see him in a couple of weeks.

I am just so pissed off that I have to go through this and feel like this, and my poor family are also suffering.....I think the doctors are giving these tablets out too quickly and not explaining the side effects, my doctor didnt tell me anything about the side effects. I dont feel suicidal but am finding it extremely difficult to contain my anger and moods.....

Will I ever be back to my 'old' self???
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
Effects after taking Champix in Uk
Hi i am from uk Belfast and would love to get involved with banning this drug or at least for people to be told the extreme dangers,Myself and my boyfriend took Champix in October 2007,he took a break down and had severe probelm s mentally but also physical as well.I myself suffered and i am so upset this drug is still on shelves.
We both had the most horrible time and to be honest still are working on are relationship.We now have realised after both suffering from acute psychotic depression that we now need couple conciling.
We are together over ten years and where perfect happy people,oh yes we dont smoke,but its nearly been two years since we took that drug and are still suffering,i hope any one who is about to take this drug will read this and stop smoking naturally as this is a very dangerous drug,all that i am happy for is that me and boyfriend are still alive,and if we can get through this we will get through any thing.
I am so sorry for any one who lost family or friends due to this drug,and i and my boy friend will stand up with others if need be to stop them using this drug,if you need to contact me will set something up or contact my email.
For any one who is having bad thoughts now even after 6 months till a year after taking this drug ,go to doctors and get prozac or any anti depressiant as this will even out the chemical imbalance in the brain that champix wiped out...
Its nearly two years since i took this drug and i am still reaping the effects,why will no one listen to me or my boyfriend ,the nhs couldnt gave a dam...
Some one out there will most likely kill them selves over taking this drug,my advice is to keep smoking and enjoy every puff,it is so not worth what we have went through..
l...75..uk
|

replied September 18th, 2011
Champix depression and the hell of it
I know this is a really old post, but I just wanted to agree with everything you have said. My husband and I started using Chapix 18 weeks ago and quit smoking 17 weeks ago. All was well until we finished the prescribed 12 week course on the 1 August 2011. Once stopping the tablets my husband's mood has changed he has become numb to everything and everyone and his sex drive has dissappeared overnight. I on the otherhand have become emotionally unstable and over sensitive to the extreme, one minute up and the next down with horrible bouts of paranoia and hatred towards my husband and others, sometimes I want to just end it all. Not to mention the continious weight gain regardless of exercise and diet !
Doc says its just the effect of not smoking and there is no link between Champix and depression especially after completing the course. I hate the way it has left my husband and I, and contrary to what the Doc thinks being a non smoker is not what it is all about! Would have found another way to quit if I had only have known.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Champix
I am very sorry for your loss.

2 weeks ago I started experiencing VERY disturbing side effects -- extreme agitation, psychotic symptoms (voices etc) extreme suicidality and severe depression.

My partner took me to the local ER and I am now being followed by a doc and mental health team. They have medicated me for the psychosis which is pretty much gone and I am left with a deep depression and anxiety.

I have also started smoking again which I am very upset about as champix has been the only thing that has gotten me to quit for so long. However, my life isn't worth it and had I not had such a caring, quick thinking partner I may have been dead too.

the antipsychotics are helping and I will be going on an antidepressant to try to get back to normal.

-ml
|

replied August 18th, 2009
reading all these comments is really freaking me out. my bf recently started taking champix, i'm talking like 2 days ago. already he has started to notice that he gets angry etc. this morning he threw his phone across the room and smashed it. this is only 2 days of being on it. he soo badly wants to quit smoking but should i continue to let him take these tablets? i'm so worried of of these terrble things might happen to him....

scared!
|

replied September 16th, 2011
Hi there, I am from Canada and I was on my 6th day when I had to stop taking it. For the first few days i had nausea and a total diconnect of my mind and body at night. My mind was totally aware of everything that went on through the night, but my body laid at rest. On the morning of my 6th day I woke up with SEVERE joint pain so bad I couldnt get out of bed and that night SEVERE depression hit me out of nowhere. I have always been a fun loving strong person with NO ailments and this drug had started to ruin me! I would suggest he stops it as I thought the symptoms would go away as the drug got in my system but it only gets WORSE! If you google the long term effects of Champix (Chantix) it is soo terrifying. My doctor took me off them immediatley and said he will work with me to naturally quit smoking. If I was to stay on this drug, it would have killed me if I didnt kill myself. ITS A KILLER!!
P>S My heart aches for all of you who have lost loved ones due to this drug, the depression and suicidal tendncies hit you so fast and hard there is no tie to think about a better way. xo
|

replied October 1st, 2011
Champix
I was on chapix 3 times in the past. In 2008, it helped me quit for 5 months.In 2010 it helped me quit for 6 1/2 months and I have just recently starting taking it again (5th day). I hope this time I go all the way. My deepest sympathies go out to those who lost loved ones but from what I have read so far, most of these people who suffered from the more serious side effects where people who were drinking, on other medications, or suffered from other physical or mental ailments. If you are healthy in mind, body and soul,(other than your bad smoking habit of course), then this is a wonder drug! I too suffered from all of the minor side effects all three times I took champix, including severe depression. But I was smart enough to know that it was just a side effect from the drug and eventually it would diminish which it did. In my opinion, lung cancer, emphesyma, COPD are crippling diseases in which there is no cure and quitting smoking was, and still is, a major priority. In short, If you can't handle the side effects then stop taking the medication, but if you can, it's well worth it. P.S. I do not work for Pfizer.

neverquitquitting
|

replied May 31st, 2012
I am a fifty year old woman who has smoked sixty a day for the last 36 years. I am on day 18 of a. Champix course and have not smoked for a week. I was having terrible nausea but got pills from the doc to help with that. I have COPD. I am really confused after reading some of the terrible things that have happened to people. Smoking will definetly end my life prematurely due to the lung disease but my only hope of stopping smoking is the champix as I have tried everything else and nothing has worked. Don't know whether to stop taking the champix or not now ...
|

replied February 20th, 2012
that could easily be attributed to nicotine withdrawal
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Nicotine withdrawal is not actually a big deal, it's 3 days of sweaty palms and pits. It's the mental anguish associated with quitting that's the hard part.
I tried Champix, twice. My doctor KNEW that I was both depressed and alcohol dependent, but she prescribed it anyway, not mentioning any risks whatsoever. As I had no reason to doubt her, I took them. Two weeks after beginning the medication, I was sitting on the beach with my two-year-old twins, and all of a sudden I realized I should just walk out into the ocean and drown, I've never been so suicidal in my LIFE. Not even when I ended up in the E.R. on a suicide attempt.
DO NOT take this medication if you have any signs of depression, anxiety or mania. DO NOT continue this medication if the side effects affect your mind.
I've also attempted quitting cold turkey, and the only side effects of that were the sweats and the constant "Oh god I need to smoke". Obviously, those attempts didn't work in the long run, but they were sure a whole lot easier than dealing with psychotic thoughts. Please be careful. By the way, an alcoholic does not ever think it's common sense to stop drinking while taking a medication. We drink and take meds unless someone specifically says DO NOT DO THIS BECAUSE YOU WILL, YOU WILL, DIE.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
I always say that if you are not sure, you better not take it. Reading from the above comments and replies, and based form the other threads reports of champix's adverse effects, you might want to consider asking for some medical advice from real professionals. However, I still want to imply that all medications and or drugs, do have their adverse or side effects.
|

replied August 21st, 2009
Champix & its LETHAL side effects
My brother commited suicide last week 10th Aug 09 ... he had been on Champix and while taking the course had been prescribed anti depresants from the Doctor !!!!
My brother had everything to live for, 3 beautiful children and a lovely wife , married 25 years & 2 holidays a year !! After being on the anti smoking drug he ended up stressed at work and depressed.
He was a hard working man who succeeded in everything he set out to do, he was a timid person who would never hurt a fly let alone take his own life !!!
He would never have left his children or killed himself knowing that his family would find him ( which is what happened).

Pilots & Air Traffic Controlers are banned from taking the drug in America ... WHY ????

THIS DRUG NEEDS TO BE BANNED before another Husband ,father , son , brother , nephew loses his life for NO REASON !!!!!
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
i had a recent bout of side effects after 3 days on the champix..i felt extremly tired weak and on the 3rd day i went to bed and awoke 2 hours later with my bed sheets soaked with sweat ,,i was ahving a hard time breathing as well..very light headed ..thought it could be somthing else like onset of heart problem so went to er..where doc told me to go off strait away..that was 2 days ago and now just starting to feel better..im sorry to hear about all of your probs with this drug and if i continued i could of been in bigger trouble..
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
I can't believe I'm reading all this, now I understand why I feel so sad and keep crying. I quit smoking using Champix and have been so sad since, I have no reason to be so sad all in my life is great then I was told that Champix can do this, why didn't my doctor tell me, how dare he ruin my life. Does this sadness get any better
|

replied August 27th, 2009
Chantix to blame? who really knows
Doesn't the warning label say not to drink alcohol while taking Chantix? Seems like alot of these Chantix-related suicides seem to be alcohol dependent (from what I have googled).
I know it's rather new but Chantix now explicitly states that any underlying psychological conditions can become exacerbated.
Based on Chantix's mode of action in the brain I don't really see how it could cause severe psychotic events in people who are not already predisposed to said events in the first place.
Very unfortunate though for those who fall into this category, mainly because there is no sure-fire way of knowing whether or not you could be at risk for the more severe side effects
|

replied September 16th, 2011
SOME are alcohol realate, over half are not. It does cause severe psychotic events in people who are NOT predisposed to it, as I am one of them. In oly 6 days my life was turned upside down due to Champix. I am a smart,fun loving, strong, outgoing person with NO ailments and after 6 days of Champix I was SEVERLEY depressed and had SEVERE joint pain to the point that I could not get out of bed. I also didnt sleep for 5 nights due to a disconnect of my mind and body...a very scary drug. I appreciate your input and hope you can appreciate mine! thanks!
|

replied August 31st, 2009
Champix severe side effects
I am a 44 year old female, who started to smoke 27 years ago (1980). I smoked 25 strong brand cigarettes per day. In the past I have tried to quit smoking using many other methods.

I start using Champix Thursday January 24, 2008. On day 3-4 the cigarettes had already tasted different and it felt as though I was sucking the end of a pen.

I planned to stop the 9th day, Saturday, February 2, 2008. But on the 8th day I actually forget to smoke that morning, so I stopped February 1, 2008. I experienced having unusual dreams but no increase in appetite or any other serious side effects. I felt relaxed, calm and totally in control. Never before have had I found it so easy to stop smoking.

I stopped using Champix after 10 weeks on April 3, 2008.

On March 12, 2008 I had a severe headache (migraine), vomiting and very painful muscle spasms in my legs. March 14, 2008 I had a multiple sclerosis relapse - foot drop (weakness in dorsiflexors). MS diagnosed in 2007, using Avonex (interferon beta-1a) injections once a week.

Between April, 2008 and January, 2009 I experienced the following:
* Insomnia: I suddenly stopped sleeping properly, I will sometimes wake up after 3-4 hours and my brain is very hyper active. Other times I will not be able to fall asleep at all.
* Depression: Very severe black depression and I could hardly breathe.
* Suicidal: I had frequent suicidal ideas and thoughts. I was thinking and planning how to commit to suicide.
* Heart rhythm disturbances, fast heartbeat
* Hair loss
* Amnesia
* Attention deficit
* Intense feeling of being helplessness
...just to name a few (I am not mentioning side-effects I could relate to MS).

It is 18 months since I stopped using Champix and I still did not start smoking (for which I am extremely grateful). I am still using medication for insomnia and depression, and hope to wean gradually off the medication without having permanent and/or long term effects.

But to experience all this, not knowing what is wrong with me and all the questions if this is MS or not, was an extremely terrifying experience! If it was not for the complaints of others on the www, I would have been still in the dark, because my doctors could not help me. Thank you so much.
|

replied September 4th, 2009
I am sorry to here of the devistation caused by this drug. I am thinking of trying the drug to help me to stop smoking so i'm resarching the side effects etc. I do suffer from mind depression and wonderwed is there was any advise or research on the drug being use by people who have suffered from depression? if you can help that would be great.

Thanks
|

replied April 12th, 2011
Do or Die!
Go for it! I'm a 48 year old female who smoked for 33 yr's and I have never quit . Then I tried Champix for 2 weeks and set my date to quit. I finally succeeded!!!
The only side effects I got was a little queasiness after the 2nd week and crazy dreams...some not so bad a t all....lol Wink Warning...don't drink alcohol if u can help it...this was a major trigger to have a few smokes for me...my weekend relapse. I'm back on track now but can't drink on the weekends for some time till I really have the smoking kicked! Good Luck Carole-Anne Smile Save your lungs or it may cost you your life...I was too tired of coughing my way to my coffin!!
|

replied September 7th, 2009
My husband and i have also tried Champix (however only 1 a day)nautious, we had been given up for 5months(is great) - had relaps was going to try champix but little depressed so will not go there(will use willpower)- i am sorry about your loss - 3 years ago we lost our daughter at 15 to suicide hers was depression - i wonder are we just looking for any excuse/answers to what suicide does to us left behind - i say if depressed the last thing to do is give up smoking at all.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Hello Everyone! I have now been on the champix pills for 3 weeks. At around day 6 I started feeling sick to my stomach, severe headaches, tired, angry, and depressed. I slept day 7 and 8 away pretty much...had absolutely no appetite during this time yet I forced myself to eat toast so I could get my pills into me. On day 9 my mood got extremely worse I realized that I needed to speak to my doctor about my side effects. He told me I should just take 1 pill a day instead of 2. So I have been taking half a pill in the morning and half with dinner. I have to admit after lowering my dosage I hardly have anymore side effects. Still have a headache that comes and goes during the day. I have anger issues I cant even begin to explain all the for instances that have occured. (road rage, unexplained crying, accusing my boyfriend of silly ridiculous things and many more things that are just not me. I am now on day 21 and I can honestly say i'm not taking anymore of these pills after reading all your messages. My 2 year old and 3 month old boys do not need to see me like this. I need energy to deal with my children and this pill is not worth it. I have quit smoking in the past. I find that I'm a social smoker and not one that needs to smoke first thing in the morning to function. I have been battling quitting smoking for about 3 years on and off. I will go on will power and self determination rather than end up crazy. I have been dependent on cigarettes for 16 years. My doctor recommended I try this. I just cant believe that 3 weeks ago I sat in his office and asked him if there were any side effects and he told me not really. I especially recalled asking him if there were any long term side effects and said just reports of minor side effects ie headaches, upset stomach, loss of appetite and may cause mild depression. I think my doctor should do some more research so that he can well inform his patients about the medicine he prescribes.

Thank you for your post and thank you for reading mine.

Ps I can definitly see a completely healthy person developing a serious deep depression from this drug if the arent a heavy smoker in the first place and especially if they continue to take the full dosage.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
why are champix tablets for quitting smoking still available.
Hi everyone i am extremeley angry about these champix tablets being given out by doctors without explaining in full detail of the awful side affects.
My father commited suicide in july 2009, and i believe the pill champix was the reason, my father had not suffered any problems before had no financial problems was in a happy realationship. He had suffered a lot of the side affects from the tablets, at the tim we did not know the amount of people harming them selves, i think these tablets should be BANNED ASAP to prevent other people having to go through the pain and suffering my family and myself are feeling.
|

replied August 12th, 2011
Champix: Doctors don't know the truth
The terrifying truth is, most GPs DON'T KNOW, and that's why they aren't telling people. They believe the hype they are given by the drug company, which is really dangerous because Pfizer have seriously bad form when it comes to deception.

Champix is totally unpredictable and if you need more evidence than is published here, just Google "Champix Reviews", and have a look at that little lot.
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
Champix
A very interesting forum and quite worrying. What interests me is the severity of the reactions and the different time scales they seem to become apparent.
I myself am at the end of the third week of a Champix course, so far it has been extremley effective at helping with withdrawal from nicotine and the habitual side from regular smoking. I did however smoke, although it being a reduced quantity into the 14th day and had the odd one afterwards, now three days with none, still want one, but only fleetingly.
yes, so far there are noticable, but tolerable side-effects: namely a persistant headache situated to the right centre of the skull where a headache has never been felt before! Additional side effects are tiredness and a little dysphoric (not depressed) as many reports suggest as the major side effect.
In defence of Champix, had I given up without any additional drug or replacement I would currently be going up the wall by now, picking up cigarette butts from the ground and be in an absolutely foul mood giving all around me hell...So on that note the actual withdrawal of nicotine is unpleasant and with many side effects on its own merit; I think that some of these feelings are being confused with the effects of Champix.
Sorry to those of you who have experienced great loss.
|
Tags: Headaches
Quick Reply